Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Auto racing 1894-1942

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kurtis, Jul 18, 2009.

1. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

1934 - check the spectator safety standards:

[​IMG]

2. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

3. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

[​IMG]

Sydney Morning Herald - 18 November 1929 - Seven Mile Beach, Sydney.

4. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

[​IMG]

Boyd Edkins - 1924 - winner of 12 mile sprint race in his Vauxhall.

5. ehdubya

ehdubya

That's a Mercedes SS at Gerringong, this is Boyd in his Vauxhall...

[​IMG]

6. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

7. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Poor images of an interesting Fal racing car.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

LOL. This is funny.

Looks like it was built at a time before the automobile and with a steering wheel, before Bollee invented it. Center drive too??

Great photo T.

9. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

10. A jewel craft of national mechanic, Mercury Twin Engine constructed by Mario P.Chiossa. 16 cylinders in total (two V8 engines), a Stromberg carburetor for each engine, 7652 cc in total, normally aspirated, independent brake on all four wheels and a total weight of only 1100 kg Not bad for a "National Mechanics."

Winner of the first premio ciudad de bs as. (09-02-1947) Mario Chiozza
    Also drived in others grand prix by Antonio Pereyra

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

11. LeeStohr

LeeStohr
    from Washington

From Monterey,CA last weekend -
    Miller TNT
    [​IMG]

1927 Derby Miller
    [​IMG]

1913 Isotta Fraschini Tipo IM
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. ehdubya

ehdubya

Great, thanks!

J. F. Gilnaw FAL Elgin 1910...

Attached Files:

13. ehdubya

ehdubya

[​IMG]

Possibly an Opel

14. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Is this young lady short or is the car set for a tall driver ?? ??

[​IMG]

15. Adolfo Scandroglio (El Pajarón) aircraft engine

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At age 20 (1937) began to build his race car with a Belgian-made chassis truck brand "Minerva", which would change to adapt a jet engine. And what precisely it was the same model plane, which was first manufactured in the same year of his birth. That engine was a Fiat A-12, which expended a factory original output of 260 HP, but with modifications that would achieve a power of 320 HP.
    The issue was to meet the 804 km. of the race as quickly as possible, using for this purpose as a vehicle ingenuity, audacity and the money available, often built with his own hands the same as it would fly. Stealing time from sleep, in his spare time reading and glanced briefly a simple regulation entitled "Freedom Force", gave vent to his mechanical ability to satisfy his passion for speed. Therefore it was no wonder that Cesar and Adolfo inventive take flight in a jet engine of an airplane Capronni mark Farman, robust machine than 21,000 cc engine, 300 HP, spread over its six-cylinder water-cooled. Without gearbox, with a ratio of a wheel motor 1-1, the brothers estimated that the car should be moved to about 198 km / h. The giant motor then placed in front of a truck chassis modified. They installed the huge radiator in the front and an extra large tank of water after the engine. -200 Liters fuel tank.

In the workshop in año 1937 Fonrouge, began to design the car, a Fiat aircraft engine "A" 12a, with 320 HP, 1800 rpm and 21 liters of displacement, chassis mount Minerva Belgian origin, he birth order in competition. The characteristics of the car only makes a circuit for such a potential: the 500 Miles of Rafaela.
    The debut was in 1940 and ranked sixth. World War II halted a few years his activity but not the illusion of race again.
    On October 7, 1947 he ran his second race, but was forced to break the gas tank.

The race in November 1940 was an exciting start to be detained at the start Don Ernesto Blanco. With a lap down, began an escalation that would be awesome to see winning four hours and 47 min. later. For 22 laps remained below the twin-engine Chiozza Mercury, another legend of that era. What about the "Pajarón? He gave up on lap No. 15, fighting a seat in the middle of the pack, after sowing the road covered with pieces of "dogtooth" shattered by the weight and power consolidated in its design (destroyed the tires). Nevertheless it was an auspicious debut for the brothers Scandroglio, who thought that with such a machine were not quite far from the triumph. It needed a little polishing its construction and the parentheses that forced the Second World War gave them the time to do it.

But when they returned to Rafaela and did not bring that monster heavy, fast and manageable, but turned it into something lighter, less long, more bodywork, faster ... but difficult to master. Death was waiting for Caesar Scandroglio that Saturday October 22, 1949 to 12:15 hours behind havens amid the curve of the circuit. It was the end for man and machine.

In the third race, always in the 500 Miles of Rafaela, finished in fifth place. The photo shows when Louis gives him the distinction Brosutti obtained.
    Rafaela and 9 km in 1949 was a moment of glory and pain. In the first round broke the track speed record of 181 mph. During the second, attempts to better his previous mark and suffered a fatal accident where he lost his life.
    Graph of October 28, 1949, with a circulation of 230,000 copies, said of him: "Task bitter blow for this reporter and tough for auto racing. Scandroglio engines had searched high and low speed displacement the road that leads to the achievement of high speeds. He was preparing for the scenario of Rafael, the only competition for broad ground circuit that is becoming. Again and again tested their efforts in this direction is not very common in the art, one might almost say an expression of a past, and now that this fight will just give him the satisfaction that involves having the fastest average, an accident took away harvested everything, even the most precious life "
    Remember that even today when the neighbors took the car to test (prior permission must be obtained from the Station 44) en route to Cañuelas, the walls of the houses resounded in its path. I ended up nicknamed "Pajarón" because of its large size. I think the duck, has left its mark in sports, for nobody would be remembered in that place you stayed or what kind of car you have, but even from the years since these humble and heartfelt lines we remember this man who left his footprints Liniers on those streets the majority of land, as a sign of his vocation.

The collector Gianni Celli was anxious about telling their story. A story that borders on the macabre. "Do you know where I found this car? In a grave in the northern province of Buenos Aires. "Celli was in the circuit of the 500 Miles of Rafaela, province of Santa Fe looked at some old photos which appeared a Bugatti, a man told him the story about the meteor nicknamed "The Pajarón" which, in turn, he tells me to me: "The pilot, Adolfo Scandroglio, died in 1949 while trying to break a speed record in the 500 Miles of Rafaela. He left a written request to bury the car with him, and that was for 50 years. In 1999, after many legal problems with the family, I managed to dig it up and add it to my collection. It was really amazing to listen to the sound of metal when the blade was finally unearthed the car. Only able to rescue the chassis, transmission, axles and engine. It took five years to restore it, but with such a story, I could not incorporate it into my collection. "

16. ehdubya

ehdubya

Interesting pic T-Head, Moross landed the Blitzen II in December 1911 but doesn't seem to have debuted it until the following October at Brighton where he was track promoter and Burman drove it or #I into the sea to extinguish a fire.
    I think this is Fritz Erle in II at Gaillon October 1910...

Attached Files:

17. deuce354

deuce354

Does Anyone Have A Idea Whats Up With The Prop On The FWD Miller ?

18. jimdillon

jimdillon

Lee great pics of the Miller and the IF. Do you know the story of the progression of the TNT from its original state to its present shape?

Also the IF looks pretty well worn in areas-how original is that car and do you know any of its past? Thanks for the pics-Jim

19. ehdubya

ehdubya

It's an air starter, they used to have to get the whole crew to blow on it but these days they use compressed ocelot farts.

20. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

A Fronty Ford.....

[​IMG]

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

OR...... it is a waterpump drive.:eek::D

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

Guess those 1/4 plate frame stiffeners paid off.[​IMG]

23. Vitesse

Vitesse
    from Bath, UK

How do you compress an ocelot?:p

I do realise it's perfectly possible with one of these, but how would you get the ocelot to stand still long enough?:confused:

[​IMG]

24. deuce354

deuce354

Asked Jim Etter, when Glenda Stewart owned the car in France she installed the prop to drive a aux oil scavage pump, she also installed the not so pretty headrest Deek

25. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

damned BIG Opel.

26. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

You maybe right about it being a Pope......I did find a photo of a car on pit lane at Indy with the same exact hood beading and also looked a a photo of a 50 HP engine and the exhaust ports are in about the right spot.....

What does that sign say .......Diamond ?????

27. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

SERV??E. I'm guessing SERVICE.

What year is that photo from? I'll check the record books when i have time.

28. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Diamond Tires?? I don't know what year as there was no info with the photo.

You're looking kinda racey in that rear engined #32 car in your new avitar. Are
    you leaving us and going on to the 60's racing scene??