Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ram Horn Manifolds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hdonlybob, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Wow, forgot how great this board is with instant info...
    Another quesion on my 63 Biscayne build.
    The 327 I am going to rebuild has double hump heads, and the guy I am getting it from seems to think it was in the 350hp range. It is an early 62-66 engine.
    It is missing the exhaust manifolds, and I am not a fan of headers.
    I will be putting a mild cam in it for some good street performance, but nothing high dollar or way out.
    I really like the looks of the old Ram Horn cast iron headers.
    Are they worth getting, or will the performance be about the same as stock.
    Also will all 327 Ram Horns fit the early engines. I see where the accessory part can be ground off if necessary, but notice some have the exhaust port pointing straight down, and others at an angle.
    I am picking up the engine tomorrow, and the Biscayne Saturday, so don't have exact details and numbers yet.
    Thanks much,
    Bob :)

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Rams horn manifold were stock so that will be what you get from them. They fit everything up uptil the next generation Chevy small blocks.
    They are more efficient than the later log type exhaust manifolds.

3. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

And speedway sells them for $60. each !
    Dave

4. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Corvette Ram Horns can use 2.5 inch pipes where most regular ones are 2 inches. The 2.5 inch pipes do flow better.

[​IMG]

Grind them down and then coat them ... they look good IMHO. :D

5. I prefer the ram horn manifolds myself, no maintenance, they look good and the price is right.

Bob

6. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

They're not all the same, and that's important. The regular Ram's Horns have a smaller diameter collector. I've seen some early ones as small as 1 7/8-inch. The more common later ones are 2.00-inch. The good ones are the Corvette and 350hp 327 Nova manifolds that have a 2.5-inch opening. Those usually have a pretty stiff tariff at the swap meets, and they're available new as reproductions from muscle car suppliers.

I'm about to put some on a dyno to see what the differences are for a story in Hot Rod Deluxe. I'm also comparing them to the Speedway manifolds, and a set of shorty headers from Edelbrock to use as a gauge for performance. It'll hit the newsstands in about 4 months though, so that probably doesn't help you a whole lot right now.

-Brad

7. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Also note that some of the later Ram Horns had bosses cast in them for the air injection ports. They don't look nearly as clean as the earlier versions.

8. Someone mentioned the Vette Rams horns already. Unless my memory decieves me you want the manifolds that point down not the angled ones.

Theyrepop the vette manifolds run about a buck fifty a side. So unless you have to do the whole resto perfect numbers thing and decide to go that route keep that price in mind.

Antler manifolds breath OK for a cruiser but they will never compete with a set of properly built headers.

I don't have time to ship but if someone comes your way I have one of the smaller (2") manifolds (from a '62) in the garage you can have then you onlu have to come up with one side to make a set.

9. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

If you are looking for a little street performance I would suggest the 2.5 in ram horns, (Corvette). I ran 2.5 in all the way back and I love my performance and sound. I think someone on E-bay is selling re-pops now with no brackets, if that's not an issue with you. The real deal is probably going to be more than those, if you can find them in good shape.
    [​IMG]

10. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

I have several sets of them, but you can buy them "repop"...

11. nutajunka

nutajunka

69 300 hp. 350's had decent rams horn exhaust, without accessories mounting mounts. Look under the hood of some impalas that year.

12. I'm not certain, but I think the pickup models were the ones that swept back.

13. squirrel

squirrel

67-72 pickups angled back on both sides, 65-70 full size cars angled back on one side.

You probably want the straight ones for a 63 chevy.

Also think about the alternator, get the manifold with the two bolt holes in the end for the driver side,and the steel bracket, to make life easy.

14. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I just did a little investigating and found that Dorman makes reproductions. If you go to a well-stocked Mom & Pop parts store, Dorman is the company that makes replacement wheel lugs, lug nuts, fasteners, etc.

I called my local Car Quest, and he has whole catalog with Dorman replacement parts, including 2.5-inch Rams Horn manifolds. He has several different styles, with or without alternator brackets, swept back, straight down, etc. I didn't have him go through the whole catalog, but the two he randomly chose for prices were $130 and I think less than $100 each. I'm going to go through his catalog and see which ones I specifically need. I've got a pair with the triangular alternator mounting ear, but the Suburban has the flat plate-style boss on it's small dia. Ram Horn manifold. I'd need the one that sweeps back for the passenger side too, to give me some extra clearance between it and the brake lines. (I'm currently having a problem with the lines being too close and heating my brake fluid in stop & go traffic).

So if you guys are looking for decent Ram's Horns, at a price comparable to what new headers would cost you, check out your local Car Quest. (or call the guys I deal with: (706) 367-5000. Ask for Greg or Tim... they'll ship)

-Brad

15. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

'64-'67 Nova Ram Horns swept back on both sides and none were 2.5" not even the 327/250HP L-79's. '67-'72 trucks swept back on the driver's side only and to my knowledge no truck was ever equipped with the 2.5's. The 2.5" came on '62-'64 327/300HP Impalas and 327 Vettes, not sure how long they continued on Vettes but I don't think past '67. From mid-'63 on most came with the alternator boss on both sides.

16. the 2.5 in ones are proabbly used a lot on street stock cars, I used them off a 1963 impala, rember buying the set for $12.00 the good old days!!

so circle track suppliers and speedway proabbly stock them too:D

17. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Check these out on E-Bay, I think they look better than Dormans. Like $88.00 each.

Item # 190374093457

18. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Thanks a bunch for all the info. I have been eyeballing several sets, but wasn't sure on fit until I posted here.
    Bought a nice original set of 2.5" outlets this afternoon for $60 plus $20 shipping.
    Cheers,

19. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

WOW, nice set up indeed!!!
    Cheers,

20. MCINK

MCINK
    from EASTRIVER

go to www.atp-inc.com
    and look at what they offer for manifolds
    lots of good photos

21. bob3757

bob3757
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tigard, Or

The Speedway 2.5" manifolds ($60.00 each) that I bought recently are Dorman brand manifolds, in Dorman boxes. Bob