Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. brocluno

brocluno

I think you are right, the way to do it is to use a claimer rule for the engine. Period correct external pieces and induction (so say an original SBC FI or Y block blower would stay with the owner), all go back to the car owner - stuff like sheet metal parts and DC generators. But, long blocks are claimable for say $250 or $500 or something. That would keep the cost within reason. How about 310 inch max motors and multiple carbs or original FI on motors under 290? Maybe limit cam to .500?

I don't see any problem with tranny's. Any all syncro 3 speeds, or internally controlled automatics (no computer controls), vs. original equipment four speeds built before 1970. That would allow later model autos and truck boxes to go against vintage parts due to the scarcity of old autos/hydros? Tire - no wider than 9" - would still leave hard. But maybe Drag Radials would be better? Sort of the modern version of Bruce's recaps, Casler, or Bucron?

Rears, anything as long as the max reduction is held to some number. 4.88 is pretty deep for some older rears. It might be workable, but everyone should be able to find a 4.11 for almost any car. Maybe make it that so as to limit the R's going out the big end? Again, to make the motors less than a few grand and still reliable.

These forumula would allow many cars to be driven in and driven out. Would make the young guys trying to build a stormer have an easier time as they would not have to spring for a trailer or hauler until their tune-up got real serious or they got to a higher HP lighter weight class. Would also make for some fine and fun street cars :)

2. DaGrumps

DaGrumps
    from Texas

3. VIC GUILMINO

VIC GUILMINO

I race him many many times at 75-80
    rest in peace bill

4. colesy

colesy

Thanks DaGrumps for informing us of Bill's passing. I'm sure many here remember the Concorde Tire ad from back in the early 70's. It was a effective ad to say the least, targeted at the "little guy" and at a time when the Stock rules were taking on a "Pure Stock" slant. Didn't the 455 Buicks and Oldsmobiles have an upper hand at this point? Although, the Boertman's Dodges won there fair share during this period as well.
    Hey Steve, can you please add Mr. Robinson to the "Hall of Fame" list. Anyone else have memories of Bill Robinson?

5. 66Corvette

66Corvette
    from Maryland

I remember him well when he lived in Va. Talked to him often. His era was after the Boertman era (1968 and 1970-71) of 7 inch tires. His era began during the begining of the revamped stocker era in 72 when stock was using street tires such as the Concords and real stock engines. As "Stockers" progressed (?) he fell by the side and money took over. I remember him as a good guy.

6. Watusi 2

Watusi 2

I am submitting two photos taken in the 70's of two D1 racers.
    The 1967 Vette was owned and driven by Bobby Pagano. The car was a 427 racing in A/SA. It had a TK motor and powerglide trans.
    The 59 Vette was bought from John Hoffman by Lew Becker. Lew raced this car right up to the year that the rules changed for stockers. It had a TK motor and powerglide also. It held the record at one time for K/SA.
    Both of these guys are getting ready to "play it again". Lew just bought a 1968 Vette stocker to race next year and Bob is about to acquire on a 1963 Max Wedge. It appears that the best is yet to come.
    This is my first attempt at posting a photo. Hope it works.

W2

Attached Files:

7. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Thanks 'W2,' I've added both racers to our LIST.
    see ... http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4482604#post4482604
    [​IMG]

8. Watusi 2

Watusi 2

I have a question that someone who has a archive of National Dragsters may be able to answer.
    Question: At the end of 1975 and throughout 1976, who held the NHRA A/SA record and what were the times??

All responses appreciated.

W2

9. colesy

colesy

I have Jerry Stein setting the A/SA record in September 1976 with a 11:40 @ 120.32 mph in a 64 Plymouth (Teacher's Pet) at Atco New Jersey.

10. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

[​IMG]

1979 Super Stock Nationals at York, PA

11. Our57

Our57

Looks like that record changed hands alot during that time. In early '76 alone it went from Toby Vanderbilts ('70 Nova) 11.84 to Ed Miranian's ('69 Camaro) at 11.73 to Stan Mizell's ('70 Cuda) at 11.66.

12. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

I'd like to get Jerry Stein on this thread. I've watched him often and worked with him on some 409 afbs in the past. :):):)

13. Watusi 2

Watusi 2

Be careful what you ask for, because I may be able to make that happen.
    All in favor say aye!!

W2.

14. ProStockJunkie

ProStockJunkie
    from New Jersey

Well, I've been spending a lot of time on political stuff online for nearly 2 years and I haven't had the time for the yahoo groups unfortunately. But to clear something up a bit, I was married to Ray, not his sister. ;-). JA

15. Watusi 2

Watusi 2

Thank you for the response. Great effort!!

16. Watusi 2

Watusi 2

Thanks for your response to my inquiry. I knew someone would have it!!

W2

17. Watusi 2

Watusi 2

Thanks for the photo.
    It is indeed a good one!!
    W2

18. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

aye ...
    [​IMG]

19. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Yes, please do. Aye!

Pete

20. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Hi Jackee! Yes, someone corrected me already. I missed your posts on the Yahoo! group.

Regards,

Pete

P.S. Politics online--been there, done that; too upsetting! I don't have the temperment for that.

21. colesy

colesy

I posted the 1967 Tulsa finals from the pages of National Dragster earlier on and now here's how SS&DI magazine covered the Stock eliminations. 68 Tulsa SS&DI coverage to follow.......

Attached Files:

22. colesy

colesy

Tulsa World Finals 1968 as covered by SS&DI magazine.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  23. colesy

colesy

Tulsa 68 continued........

Attached Files:

24. sinistri

sinistri
    from reading pa

Heres some pictures from thr Vargo reunion in Nov.. The Vargo Sign....my pop and Ronnie Evans.. The Get Around, Ronnie Evans "wildfire" Joe Gardner, "driver of the Northwind 62 chevy 409". Ronnie, Roger Sr.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  25. sinistri

sinistri
    from reading pa

More Vargo.. The Hurst sign was autographed by soo many great racers, what a neat piece to have. A billing poster advertising Vargo Grand opening...The Hamb was present! Verne and my pop.... Phil Cambria and pop....

Attached Files:

26. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Great trio of posts Bill ...

[​IMG]

By the way, George's $4,500 purse was not too shabby at all.

His (1967) 4.5K prize is equal to $28,754 in 2009 buck$!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  27. 66Corvette

66Corvette
    from Maryland

That must mean todays win money is worth about 10 cents in "Yang" money!!

28. 65deluxe

65deluxe

I talked to George recently and he's happily retired (maybe because of all those stock winnings?) and spending his time playing the horses. He commented that he made a lot of money off of the Tokyo Rose as it was always being protested, and it was always found to be legal.

29. colesy

colesy

One for all the Mopar fans. Callahan & Sulc from the March 1970 issue SS&DI magazine........

Attached Files:

30. janetmatit

janetmatit
    from New Jersey

My father was the original owner and driver of the 1955 chevy "Jahn's Jammer". He came out of Jersey City and raced the car between the years of 1965-1968.