Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Paint cost!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sporty45, May 13, 2024.

1. Plus cost before driving with the shiny single stage would be much lower.....sort of spread out the cost

Sharpone likes this.
  2. Sharpone

Sharpone

Looks good
    Dan

3. IMG_1940.jpeg

I painted this with Summit Racing primer, single stage color and 2k clear. I’ve never painted a car before, but hey it looks great from 10 feet or so!

4. JD Miller

JD Miller

:confused:

Sharpone likes this.
  5. JD Miller

JD Miller

good stuff .:cool::D

Sharpone likes this.
  6. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks great. How much in materials?

Sharpone likes this.
  7. I completely agree with everything Anthony says about this. I’m not a body/paint guy, have zero skills in that area and damn sure can’t afford to pay somebody like my Brother Lloyd to do it, so my stuff looks like it looks.

vtx1800, Unkl Ian and Sharpone like this.
  8. Mike Lawless

Mike Lawless

I reckon it comes down to what a feller wants, can afford, or can just plain live with.
    24 years ago, I paid $3500 for the paint on my Karmann Ghia show and go drag racer. It was a really nice job that has held up well, and has won some local shows. Still looks good, but now has battle scars. Today, that paint would be in the 12-15k range....or more.
    Fast forward to today, and my ol' Furd pick-up is a daily driver. I didn't want or need a high dollar, high maintenance paint job. Plus these days, I'm one of the tightest wads that ever waddled.
    Having done a few complete paint jobs in my time, I decided to do the ol' Furd my own self. Most of my paint jobs were 10 footers, as I am just an amateur.
    The ol' Furd really didn't need much body work. A few dings, some previously done light collision repair that needed to be redone, and some minor rust.
    Summit brand single stage urethane and a harbor freight gun. A bit over $600 in materials, and painted a panel at a time in my garage. I also had enough paint left over to do a rear quarter repair from a minor fender bender a few months back.
    These days, I'm not going for show trophies or trying to impress people I don't know...or even care about.
    Lots of compliments anyway, and good enough for me. 20240207_133243.jpg

Last edited: May 17, 2024
  9. Crap, I have the skills and don’t want to do it.
    Maybe one day but not today

10. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I wasn't going to but then thought " what the hell" I just bought 3 gal. of house paint here in NY and one gal of primer was 26.98 after military disc. at Lowes the other two gals were 56.68 each. I paid the bill, got my receipt and looked at it, there was a .95 cent charge on each gal for "NY paint care recovery fee" PLUS there was tax on the fee. Aah now that I vented I feel the same and nothing has changed. Welcome to NY.

Pat

11. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Cheap ain’t cool

12. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

When I first started in the trade, a pint of Duco was $1.65. Man, that was a long time ago.

Sharpone and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  13. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

So, has anyone used materials from @PaintGuru ? I rather miss his comments & help. Was always hoping the business would do well - everywhere. If I can find him, he'll be my 1st choice for paint - if/when I get that far. ;D .
    Anthony Myrick might know of his current contact info. Last known contact:
    Quality Coating Supply LLC
    220 Avenue C
    Carrollton GA 30117
    678-982-7820

Some threads:
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/who-sells-good-paint-at-a-reasonable-price.966958/
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...1k-and-2k-enamels-base-urethanes-etc.1047402/
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-thread-on-epoxy-paint.1178945/#post-13398804

Marcus...

14. I’ve never shot Duco, but being a cheap shit, I’ve shot Dulux. I’m showing my age.

carpok, Sharpone and Stu D Baker like this.
  15. Haven’t heard from him in a couple of years after he changed jobs.
    He used to do a paint clinic for instructors.
    Those were great.
    I might have a contact somewhere.
    Guy worked in paint development and sales. Learned a lot from him.
    Like resin costs. All paint companies purchase resins and pigments from the same places. A few years back, a resin plant burned. Demand was high as production of resin dropped. Affected tape, paint……. basically everything you need to paint.
    That plus oil prices and world turmoil.

16. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Deluxe hot off the stove made one slick paint job 2 coats and you were done. I’ll never forget the roaring sound the spray gun made and the stringer cobwebs that floated in the air. Wash with water and chamois off the next day. Also you could thin it with white gas and it was only 11 cents a gallon.

loudbang, SS327, Sharpone and 2 others like this.
  17. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Gallon of Dulux, hot plate, and a Binks #7 with a shop rag bib. Some slick jobs. I only caught 1 shop on fire. Not bad.o_O

JalopyJimbo, loudbang, SS327 and 3 others like this.
  18. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Definitely a Binks #7 and a 36SD air cap and matching needle. I still have mine and a THOR # 7 precessor to the Binks #7

loudbang, Stu D Baker and Sharpone like this.
  19. Sharpone

Sharpone

No wonder I ain’t cool
    Dan

20. I believe it was around $500 possibly less. This was in 2022 so maybe slightly more now. But still pretty affordable. There was a lot of elbow grease involved.

Sharpone and rod1 like this.
  21. 35 Dodge Hot Rod

35 Dodge Hot Rod
    from Mecca

Tamco Paint has some pretty good prices, and quality materials.

https://tamcopaint.com/

Their system seems to be pretty user friendly, and you can order a small sample and speed shapes to see what the color is going to look like.

Sharpone likes this.
  22. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

His posts were full of good info.
    If you could find out if he still sells the paints he concocted, I'd appreciate it.
    At a swapmeet today, I talked to a fellow who said he worked for Kosmosky for awhile(including during/after the Valspar buyout - said Sherwin Williams has dropped a lot of HOK colors) & is still friends w/Jon. Said Jon formulated his paints, esp clears, w/lots toners for the intense shades, lots of UV-inhibitor for long life & little sun-fade, & were designed so that mill-thickness wouldn't/didn't matter, so they wouldn't crack w/multiple layers(including multiple repaints, instead of stripping them down to metal each time). Hmmm... (for Flake). Wondering if PG ever did that. His paints sure looked interesting... :D.
    Marcus...

Last edited: Jun 2, 2024
    Sharpone and loudbang like this.
  23. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Want sticker shock? Paint a large motor home or Large Race Car Hauler like one for NASCAR. You are looking north of $20,000 for materials at manufacture cost it’s about 1/2 what you would pay at the paint store. Thats no labor and no supplies sand paper tape masking paper etc.

Sharpone and anthony myrick like this.
  24. RodStRace

RodStRace

@1-SHOT , I ain't even maskin' a freakin' Hauler! No way I'd shoot one!:D

This whole thread reminds me of an old joke
    2 ol boys are lookin' at their freshly painted car.
    One turns to the other and says
    Guess we shoulda rinsed off the broom first!

SS327 and Sharpone like this.
  25. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I got talked into shooting a motor home about 40 years ago, and swore I would never do that again!

26. Always heard that if you weren't using a new broom you should at least take it over to the bench grinder and put a fresh edge on it.
    :rolleyes:

SS327, Sharpone and RodStRace like this.
  27. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

$611.11 today PXL_20240520_134207768.jpg

Sharpone and caprockfabshop like this.
  28. A Boner

A Boner

How about Powder Coat, instead of paint? This is a friends Brookville roadster pickup truck with a Bleed Sweep Frame. The chassis is Powder Coated gloss black, and the body is Powder Coated grey (without clear). The Powder Coat cost close to what an epoxy primer job would cost, but it’s a done paint job! Only would work with new and/or mint bodies w/o any Bondo! The clear Powder Coat was skipped to achieve a more traditional looking finish.
    FAF82C70-397F-4CCE-AE3E-7323E342B7ED.png

Last edited: May 20, 2024
  29. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Powder coating sheet metal. Wouldn't there be a risk of the heat warping the larger panels? Must not be because the above PU looks good.

Unkl Ian and Sharpone like this.
  30. Ziggster

Ziggster

Had a OT frame, axles (4x4), rims, and misc parts, sandblasted and powder coated a couple years ago for about CAN$2000 IIRC. Never thought of doing body panels.

Unkl Ian and Sharpone like this.