Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Chrysler 331 transmission adapter

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by John Deuel, May 15, 2024.

1. John Deuel

John Deuel

I have an early Chrysler 331 hemi with the extended bell housing. Currently there is a Les side shift transmission bolted up. Would anyone know if that same adapter plate would also take later GM transmissions like a Saginaw or Muncie. Thanks.

2. John Deuel

John Deuel

Should read LaSalle side shift transmission

3. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Different bolt pattern.

4. Andy

Andy

I made an adapter plate to mount a LaSalle trans to a SBC bellhousing. I would think you could make a plate for the adapter you have or redrill it.

5. 73RR

73RR

Modifying the existing adapter is all dependent on the input shaft length and location of the splines as they relate to the position of the disc.
    Also, keep in mind that the trans must retain alignment with the crankshaft. MaMopar says 0.007 TIR, gm may be different but it can't be off by degrees of 'sundial'....

Andy likes this.
  6. Andy

Andy

True!
    I did a lot of measuring and machining.
    The LaSalle was weird as the input collar did not bolt to the transmission. It just was held in by the bell housing.

7. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I've seen adapter plates to bolt a Cad/LaSalle transmission to a Chevrolet bell housing, which means to me that the input shaft of the Cad/LaSalle is longer than a Chevy; therefore, I don't think that you can go in the opposite direction. The Chevrolet input shaft would end up being too short to do it.

8. KenC

KenC

Maybe use a special/longer/stepped/etc homemade pilot bushing. If careful measurements, really careful, show that it will extend far enough and not interfere with the clutch setup.

9. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Trans adapters are interesting for the 331 extended bell so much I think they are cool. They range from a flat plate to an inverted bell going into the hemi bell housing. As said it’s all about the imput shaft length . A few examples the deeper one is for an early ford transmission that Fit Into the bell of the hemi the other you see is a vintage speed gems with a 1.5 rise .
    I know the caddie transmission has a long shaft so what the difference in length between the Chevy transmission and the Cad lasalle IMG_7118.jpeg IMG_7119.jpeg IMG_7120.jpeg IMG_7121.jpeg IMG_7122.jpeg IMG_7123.jpeg