Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 49-51 Ford Bullnose, does anyone make them these days?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by John B, May 8, 2024.

1. John B

John B

Recently acquired a 1949 Ford Custom from a friend. Small block swapped cruiser kind of car. I've had it a couple months now and it's time to start making a few subtle changes. I gotta say, I'm not a fan of the hood ornament, so I thought a bullnose would be a good start. I remember seeing them for sale but now I can't find one listed anywhere.

Have they quit making them or am I not looking in the right spot?

Plans call for a little lowering, skirts and lake pipes for now. Later? Maybe some subtle scallops and shaving 20240304_142454~2.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 9, 2024
    Sum54ford, OG lil E, Sancho and 2 others like this.
  2. maybe make a 47-54 chevy pickup center strip work?

John B likes this.
  3. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have you tried the internet? Look at "Shoebox Ford" or Dennis Carpenter.

John B likes this.
  4. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

Dennis Carpenter has them I think if not Chris should have them laying around. I have a few here but couldn’t put my hands on them to save my life so I’m no help :oops:

John B likes this.
  5. John B

John B

I did actually. Tried numerous times with a bunch of different search terms. When that failed, I figured I'd try here.

Okie Pete and Sancho like this.
  6. moparboy440

moparboy440
    from Finland

7. John B

John B

Sancho likes this.
  8. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a part I was considering casting out of aluminum. I looked for a while before I was able to find one a few years back.

Okie Pete and John B like this.
  9. poco

poco
    from oklahoma

No body makes them any more, there is a person that has advertised on here for a long time but has not found one, the person in the eastern state claims to have every thing but does not produce. Good luck i finly found one in Los Vegas.

Okie Pete and John B like this.
  10. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I dunno about '49-'50's, but I had a '51 when I was in high school in the fifties and was able to remove the "Jet Plane" from the full length center hood strip and filled the two holes with "Plastic Steel" from the local hardware store, sanded it down, primed it, and painted it with a "spray bomb" that was a very close match; done. It took two years for the "Plastic Steel" to crack and fall out, but by that time, the car had rusted away to the extent it was scrapped.

Okie Pete and vtx1800 like this.
  11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

they were made by Gem Manufacturing back in the day. look for a box at the next swap meet that looks like the picture below. newest car on this box is 1956. the 49- 51 Ford is part number 553. the problem is the bullnose itself doesn't have a part number stamped on it :( this one is 49-52 Chevrolet

search ebay for gem manufacturing twice a week until one pops up. they were easier to find before ebay screwed up ebay motors search where a bunch of unrelated junk pops up. I used to search 1949 Chevrolet every week and found all kinds of stuff. I've found several different bull noses at swaps over the years to buy and sell.

20240509_230545 - Copy.jpg

Last edited: May 10, 2024
  13. Not wanting to correct you on your own stuff but the box on your photo says "553" for 49-51 Fords. "1053" seems to be for 49-51 Mercs and interestingly also for 53-54 Plymouths. But it's a bit difficult to make out from your photo.

That said I would love to have one for my Mercury. Gem Manufacturing no. "1053" anyone?

OG lil E, Okie Pete and 49ratfink like this.
  14. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Look at swap meets through boxes . You’ve put the word out here maybe someone will find one and PM you. Study other pieces of trim that might work. I took a piece of fender trim and used it for a bull nose on my 47 Mercury. IMG_8861.jpeg

15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I blame my glasses from the Dollar Store:)

16. Sum54ford

Sum54ford
    from St. Louis

I want to see more of that Ford John. It looks like a super nice car!!

OG lil E likes this.
  17. John B

John B

@Moriarity might not like the wheels. Them being chrome smoothies and all

Sancho and OG lil E like this.
  18. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

looks like a nice car... I used to have about a hundred NOS Gem bullnose moldings. I traded them to a friend about 20 years ago, I called him and alas, nothing for a shoebox

Sancho, OG lil E and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  19. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I were to do it again, I'd do it like I did the first time : Fill in the stock mounting holes (in a more substantial manner) and paint. I think it would be a much cleaner appearance which in my opinion looks a lot better than a "J.C. Whitney" chrome add on. With the available of matching paint in spray cans, I'll bet the color match would be good too.

John B likes this.
  20. It wouldn't be that tough to make one. Do a search for 'steel half oval', you'll get multiple results in steel, stainless steel and brass. Bend/grind/file to shape, install a couple of threaded studs and have it plated. You could even attach it with two-sided trim tape.

John B likes this.
  21. John B

John B

I appreciate you checking

Sancho and OG lil E like this.