Register now to get rid of these ads!

3 Holley 1904's on an intake

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oj, Apr 13, 2012.

1. oj

oj

I made this setup for a jeep. Not something i'd do again, but it is near done and this is the first time it has been together with linkages etc and it all works.
    The primary carb is the center, front and rear carbs are progressive linkage where about 1/3rd throttle they begin to open and all three come to WOT together. All three have working accelerator pumps, the center carb has a choke.
    I made all linkages out of bent wire to appear factory type linkage from the 50's, i made the throttle plates, linkage arms, choke plates, accelerator pump arms.
    I have yet to do the fuel lines and fuel block, pcv fittings, accerator cable connection. The intake is near done, i have to finish the headers and then it'll come apart for some paint.
    what do you think?

Attached Files:

Deuces and jimmy six like this.
  2. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

way cool OJ.......what year / type of jeep?

3. forty1fordpickup

forty1fordpickup

You did some very nice work there. It looks like it should flow well. One thing you might want to consider is adding some sort of carb heat. I have a 2 pot Offy manifold with 1904s on a Ford 215". It does not run well until the coolant is up to 150°.

4. oj

oj

Hmmm, hadn't considered that - are the 1904's cold natured?
    HRM2K, it is a jeep something-or-other with a 258" thats all i know;.

5. hotrodjeep

hotrodjeep
    from Tama, Iowa

You had me at 1904 and Jeep. Nice job.

Jeff

6. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

'bout time you used those carbs!

7. oj

oj

thats' right, i got some of them from you! You know those carbs are all different, what you see in the pics took about 6 carbs to glean parts from. The bases are even different and it goes downhill from there.
    I shake my thinking i was gonna put 6 of them on a blower, what a clusterfuck that would've been. I love a holley, but these things are a hoot.

8. 58Darlene

58Darlene

What did you do, if anything to make a primary carb and secondary carbs? I'm trying to put together a set for my old ford and I'm tryign to get it all straight.

9. oj

oj

I will give you a better update in a few days. I have them mocked on the motor now and working out the headers etc and hope to start the motor by monday at the latest.
    I left the center carb near stock internally, it is slightly larger than the 2 outboards. The outboard carbs have the idle circuit plugged, the blades will close tight without binding or getting hungup in the baseplate and the accelerator pumps are functioning.
    Be carefull when plugging the idle circuit, transfer slot and stuff because there is an internal vacuum passage that runs up to the powervalve diaphram (the top is visible with 3 screws on top of the body of the carb) and you want to keep that passage open.
    The linkage is the bear.
    I have lots of pieces left over if you need something shoot me a pm.

10. oj

oj

Heres' a followup. I have about finished debugging the carbs and took it for a ride, cool as shit! I could feel the progressive linkage and it is responsive, very strong in 1st & 2nd. I was impressed.
    I had a ton of problems with the 1904s' from metering blocks to plugged passages to sticking check valves and setting the float is an operation in itself. You really got to be dedicated to use these carbs, but they might be fine once they get sorted out.
    Heres a couple pics of them on the engine, i have yet to make an air cleaner for them. I need to sort them out some more: lower the rear carb float & enrichen the idle circuit should about get us there.

Attached Files:

11. Adriatic Machine

Adriatic Machine

Really old thread but I gotta give credit for the flipside located linkage setup. I’m not liking mine for certain reasons and this is a good direction.

Deuces likes this.