Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 8ba fan

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by richard crow, May 10, 2024.

1. richard crow

richard crow

i am putting an 8ba in a 1930 ford. i want to have a hood can i use the orignal fan set up if no what set up can i use. i dont want an elect. one

Tow Truck Tom likes this.
  2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Kim Strobeck if he sees this, he put an 8BA in his 31 coupe with a mechanical fan.

3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He did have to modify his firewall come to think of it.

4. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

The original fan should work fine. I would try to avoid the 3 blade fans that came out post '49. They don't move as much air and you need a lot of air flow to keep these things cool. Yours should have a 4 bolt fan blade mount to the hub. There are some good aftermarket fans that will fit the hub. Personally, I don't like electric fans.

5. flthd31

flthd31

It will fit.
    Just needs some minor firewall work. I just recessed this 8-BA only where it interfered with the firewall. Most people that aren’t familiar with Model A’s think its stock. It cools very well also. And there is still plenty of leg room inside. There’s nothing sacred about a model a firewall…just cut it.
    I've done a few like this.

Here are a few pics of my ’31 coupe. Stock frame wheel base. That’s a stock 8-BA fan set-up. All belts, pulleys and fan blade are stock. The hood fit fine before I built the over the rail headers. Now its off for good.

PXL_20240511_175228059.jpg PXL_20240511_175236700.jpg PXL_20240511_175255190.jpg

Last edited: May 11, 2024
  6. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I did away with the front pulley on the crank and mounted my fan on the generator with a 37 Ford fan pulley. Four blade and allowed me to just put a small notch at the bottom of the firewall. I'm running a closed drive line on a 50's style V8 A and this is the second one I've done this way.
    plugs.jpg sp1.jpeg

Tow Truck Tom and Rehpotsirhcj like this.
  7. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

^^^^^
    Another A with an Orange V8
    :cool::cool:

Bandit Billy likes this.