Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 54 Chevy hydramatic

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 417sayre, May 10, 2024.

1. 417sayre

417sayre

I have a 54 Chevy pickup with a factory hydramatic. Something broke inside recently and was hoping for some help. Truck will move until about 5 mph then the trans slips hard and makes a loud squealing sound. I’m not sure where to buy hard parts or what to get. . I can find rebuild kits online

2. BJR

BJR

Should be the same as an Olds or Cadillac or Pontiac hydromatic. Look for info for them will be easier to find.

3. squirrel

squirrel

4. PackardV8

PackardV8

Seems even a little bit of horsepower applied over a long enough time can damage a Hydramatic; they were used in tanks and dump trucks.

FWIW, I had a early-'55 five-window deluxe, tinted windows, chrome grill, Hydramatic and the tranny was always perfect; the rod bearings, well, not so much.

jack vines

Truckdoctor Andy and vtx1800 like this.

5. 417sayre

417sayre

Thanks for the info guys

6. dogwalkin

dogwalkin
    from tn

PhilA is pretty smart with these trans. I just fixed mine in my 1956 Pontiac. Id say pull it out and tear it down.
    Get a manual. Fatsco in New Jersey has the parts.

Truckdoctor Andy and warbird1 like this.
  7. They're not hard to work on, you just need a few tools a couple of which can be fabricated. You can do it with a period Motors Manual, but a factory service manual is best. Fatsco has parts and some information on-line.

Last edited: May 11, 2024
    Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  8. skooch

skooch

Sounds like a slipping band, I wonder if the adjustment bolt slipped out.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev

Depending on what the fluid smells like, I'd check the band adjustment page in the link that Jim / Squirrel posted. That is the pfd version of the 54 Chevy truck factory service manual and is written so anyone who can read and comprehend at a Jr hi level can follow it. It also is written for mechanics that are working on something for the first time in 1954 and the instructions are complete and the writer does not assume that you are an expert.

Truckdoctor Andy and skooch like this.
  10. skooch

skooch

Now that I think about it, if you have an access cover on your trans tunnel in the cab take it off and there will be 2 adjustment bolts on the top left of the transmission. Check to see if the locknuts are tight.

11. I built mine in the 60s as an ignorant teen. With a manual, it is really pretty easy. Just get a good set of snap ring pliers!

warbird1 likes this.
  12. 417sayre

417sayre

Thank you guys for the replies. I’m gonna pull the floor out and check the band adjustment. I had the trans rebuilt a few thousand miles before this happened by an older guy that had a trans shop for years. He’s now retired. Hopefully it’s that simple

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.