Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SBC Camshaft ID

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dan Hay, May 4, 2024.

1. IMG_7413.jpeg IMG_7414.jpeg I thought I had good googling skills but I’m coming up short.

I was told years ago it’s a 305 HO cam, I believe also called the L69. I just want to confirm that or find out what it really is.

numbers I can see: 200140. 871 CR

And what looks to be a date 11-23-00

thanks!

2. Mike_B

Mike_B

I can't find those numbers anywhere. Not that it helps, but the "CR" could possibly mean Crane Cams. They made several cams for GM OEM and GMPP aftermarket back in the 1980s-2000s. I remember seeing their cams with GM part numbers in GMPP catalogs.

With a mild stock cam, you should be able use calipers to measure across the widest part of a lobe, and then at a 90 degree angle from that. The difference between the two numbers is lobe lift. Take that number times 1.5 to get valve lift. It may be an L69 cam if the intake lobes are around .403" and the exhaust lobes .415".

And if you have a block to put it in, along with a dial indicator and a degree wheel, you can determine its duration @ .050" tappet lift.

Deuces and Dan Hay like this.
  3. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

4. Saw that, it’s a SBF cam.

5. Mike_B

Mike_B

Well, I sure feel like a dummy!

6. No, you gave good advice! I was replying to the Jegs part number posted by the other fella. That Jegs part number is for a small block ford so it’s not the same as what I have. I most definitely pulled it out of a running SBC.

Deuces and Bob Lowry like this.
  7. @Mike_B I also measured the cam and got .420 Not sure if it was an intake or exhaust.

Last edited: May 5, 2024