Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Chrysler 331 4x2 carb question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by John Deuel, May 5, 2024.

1. John Deuel

John Deuel

I have a four deuce intake. I want to put on my 331 Chrysler hemi. Looking for any insights into carburetor choice and linkage set up. Use two primaries and two dummies versus four working carbs. Which carbs and cfm would be best choice. Should be progressive or opening all four.or just run 2 primaries with 2 dummies?I’ll include pictures of the intake. Thank you. image.jpg image.jpg

Tow Truck Tom likes this.
  2. oj

oj

I'd have 4 Holley 94's on it, all functional, non-progressive. Keep it as simple as you could get with 4 carbs.

3. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

Not my personal experience, however in reading many posts, many years,
    with 4 two barrels, straight linkage is the way.
    Jet accordingly, brand choice is personal, but Stromberg is less fussy.
    If looking for Holleys, the guy in England makes best

caprockfabshop likes this.
  4. George

George

Go 4 it! The Weyand isn't an open plenum chamber design & all 4 nonprogressive works best

hrm2k, caprockfabshop and Stan Back like this.

5. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is that a Weiand? I had one on the 331 in my race car(avatar) and can tell yo from hand's on experience that 94's won't fit without butchering the front bowls screws. 97's fit just fine, so that's what I ended up using. I don't know about other makes of manifolds, but most out there are Weiand's.

Since it was a race car, I used straight linkage. From what I've read that works best on the street, too. Somewhere on the internet (maybe on this forum) is a detailed write-up by someone has been there and done that. It took some screwing around with jets, etc. but he ended up with a well behaved street setup with a straight linkage.

caprockfabshop likes this.
  6. Andy

Andy

Bob Wilson of brake fame ran progressive. He ran 97’s on his DeSoto

7. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Hell, I ran 6 97s on a 327" engine for years. The design of your manifold would certainly get cornfused with 2 on there.

(Figure if 1 97 can be "tamed" on a 50-HP Model A, 4 on a 331-inch hemi ought to work out.)

Last edited: May 5, 2024
  8. caprockfabshop

caprockfabshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, running off just the center 2 will starve the outer cylinders since that is essentially a single plane intake, so fuel isn't being mixed evenly and sent to all 8 cylinders equally. I'd recommend solid linkage and all 4 functioning carbs. Have to realize that particular intake was for race applications, so they were designed with progressive linkage in mind.

9. Andy

Andy

The manifold is in fact a 180 degree design. The ones now sold by HotHeads are an open design. If you look at the bottom view, you can see the crossovers.

10. carbking

carbking

Before deciding on which carburetors, I would suggest some measurement. The Holleys are about a 1/4 inch larger front to back than the Strombergs, and will not clear on many intakes.

And solid linkage for sure.

Jon

Toms Dogs likes this.