Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Homemade ladder bar hack

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jrs50, May 4, 2024.

1. I have a shoebox Ford and like all the other cool kids, I want to lower it a bit.
    It also had bad u-joints in the rear. So I jack it up. Set the stands underneath and slide under with a creeper and HOLEY SHOEBOXES BATMAN WHAT IS THAT?!?!?
    IMG_20240420_192628414.jpg IMG_20240420_192554611.jpg IMG_20240420_192654289.jpg IMG_20240420_192643157.jpg

So school me fellow HAMBers, is this what I'm thinking? Is it some homemade ladder bar?
    I've never installed or had a car with ladder bars. The welds look solid although a bit amature. Is this sound design or just some redneck pissing in the wind? Looks to me like they would be prone to catch on things if I lowered it.
    Again, I didn't install them. I plan on lowering 2 maybe 3 inches. What does the HAMB land think?

Robert J. Palmer and deadbeat like this.
  2. evintho

evintho

Looks like the redneck got a little damp! Possibly something off a Chevy truck? Cut in half and extended with some 1"x3" rec tubing. Rear hangars shaped with a cutting torch (awesome)! And, a shock angle that is to die for (literally). Other than that, looks like a fine fabrication job!
    Me thinks it's time to design some new trailing arms.

3. bchctybob

bchctybob

That would be a homemade control arm made from some donor parts.
    These are “ladder bars” in the true sense:
    True vintage style….
    IMG_1715.png
    Modern racing version….
    IMG_1714.png
    Of course, this is 2024, you can call anything, anything and it’s perfectly acceptable.:rolleyes:
    If it rides ok there’s no reason to change them. I’d treat it all to a good pressure washing though.

Jrs50 and deadbeat like this.
  4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

67 SS camaros got a single traction bar on the right side to help with wheel hop. Looks like someone applied that tech to your showbox. Traction bar, not ladder bar.

Tim, Toms Dogs, Jrs50 and 1 other person like this.

5. Okay, that's what I was thinking, traction bars not ladder bars.

6. X-cpe

X-cpe

Definitely not ladder bars. More like traction bars. It has pivots on both ends. Home made with what was at hand using a reasoned out design. I can't tell from the pictures, but I believe the front mount pivots where we can't see it. The second picture shows a tab that seems to limit its rotation. The front pivot of the bar or mount is probably close to the front leaf spring hanger which allows the spring to function normally. The rear mount on the axle puts the pivot point of the bar forward of and below the axle. When you accelerate hard the torque reaction of the differential drives the bar forward and slightly up. The design of the front mount limits the travel and prevents spring wind up.

Jrs50, bchctybob and gimpyshotrods like this.
  7. 1biggun

1biggun

Hey if they work leave them .

I had slapper bars made from 2x3 square tubing and giant galvanized turn buckles for adjusting them off a fishing boat and hockey puck bumpers on a low 12 second Chevelle in the late 80's.
    Guys laughed because they were not Lake wood and I had painted then yellow.

Toms Dogs, Deuces, Jrs50 and 3 others like this.
  8. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Yep, look like someone took a lower rear arm off of a gm coil over suspension (gto, chevelle, etc) cut the arm in half, put a piece of square tube between them and voila' traction bar ! Old school backyard hot rodding......

mario711, Deuces, Jrs50 and 5 others like this.
  9. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A poor man's version of Caltrac traction bars.

Mike Lawless, Deuces and Jrs50 like this.
  10. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Homemade, but look strong enough. Can't imagine they'd ever drag unless your drop is going to be pretty severe?

X-cpe and Jrs50 like this.
  11. Deuces

Deuces

Screw the drop and build a drag car out of it!....;)

BigRRR and Jrs50 like this.
  12. BJR

BJR

As long as it doesn't bind when the spring moves through it's arch I would leave it.

Jrs50 and bchctybob like this.
  13. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Find a more upright installation angle for the shocks, so they do something.

X-cpe and Jrs50 like this.
  14. oj

oj

I must be blind, what is it using for springs? and are there arms on both sides of the rear or just on the passenger side?

Jrs50 likes this.
  15. Mike Lawless

Mike Lawless

That was exactly my thought when I saw that.
    Not a bad design in my mind. It should prevent spring wrap without binding the suspesion up.
    Execution is a bit too shadetree. I'd be inclined to refine it if it works. Kinda depends on if you need it based on your intended usage.

Jrs50, bchctybob and X-cpe like this.
  16. I labeled the spring

IMG_20240420_192654289.jpg

Tim, Jrs50, X-cpe and 2 others like this.
  17. If you look at the last two pictures, the shocks are reversed. Pictures are all taken from the same side. Bottom pic is the driver side, all other pics are passenger side.

18. Yes, that is in the future plans. Need to figure out a shorter shock to use.