Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Bearing help needed.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by milwscruffy, May 3, 2024.

1. I'm helping a friend with a 63 Chevy II with a stock early drop out carrier 10 bolt and the unicorn 9" x 2" rear drum brakes, which were 1962-63 only. We need to locate a pair of axle bearings and locks. The numbers for the bearing are Centric 41162014 or BCA RW 506A. The bearing measurements are I.D. 1.252, O.D. 2.563 and width listed as .669/ .728. I can find listings for them, but all are out of stock or unavailable. Any help locating a pair and locks is most appreciated. The project is at a dead standstill until the bearings can be located. Thanks a bunch.

Last edited: May 4, 2024
  2. Budget36

Budget36

Within driving distance of me, there are three bearing supply places. Any in your area? I’ve given them measurements in the past, sometimes they had them in stock, other times they would have to order them.

Good luck with it.

milwscruffy likes this.
  3. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

4. JohnLewis

JohnLewis

Two year only, one application bearing that was discontinued around 2015. From what I've seen your best bet is to find whats left online. Catalogs links if you want to flip through them though. Napa has SKF, Oreilly BCA.

https://www.napaecatalog.com/?market=15&origin=https://www.napaprolink.com/ecatalogparse.aspx?catid_linecode_partnumber=

https://www.firstcallonlinecatalogs.com/BCA-Bearing-Quick-Reference-Specification-Manual/C/

https://www.timken.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/7011_Bearing-Dimension-Catalog.pdf

milwscruffy likes this.

5. deuceman32

deuceman32

milwscruffy and winduptoy like this.
  6. Send a note to this guy; he had some last year. Link from a Nova site.
    [email protected]

milwscruffy and winduptoy like this.
  7. Thanks to all for the help, I'll look into each lead here listed.

8. squirrel

squirrel

if he didn't remove the old bearings yet, I suggest carefully removing a seal and cleaning and lubricating the old bearings.

this won't work if he pressed them off already.

Moriarity likes this.
  9. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

Bearing# should be on race.Any industriak supply house sellng bearings should be able to cross reference the #s

pprather likes this.
  10. squirrel

squirrel

Bearing houses don't usually sell auto parts, do they?

milwscruffy likes this.
  11. chicken

chicken
    from Kansas

Lots of axle bearings were only serviced by the automotive dealers and aftermarket, and bearing houses didn't generally have access to those. Once in a while I've lucked out and found one there, but not usually, as Jim says.

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev

A bit of searching shows that Bristol Auto and Mibearings.com are the only two that actually show they have them in stock.

milwscruffy likes this.
  14. I am way to lazy at 3:00AM Cali time to look them up but have you tried McMaster Carr they have almost anything you could think of and their catalog is bigger then a 1990s New York phone book.
    I haven't bought bearings from them but I have bought oil impregnated bronze bushings, super thin wall sockets and all kinds of odds and ends here is the link for the bearings ↓
    https://www.mcmaster.com/products/bearings/

milwscruffy likes this.
  15. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

If you find a place that has them and you need 2....buy 4.

16. The cage was toast in each bearing, not salvageable.

17. Go to an industrial / bearing supply .

realistically as long as the I.D and O.D are the same you can play around with the width a little .

just went through this with an old forklift bearing was 13 mm thick can only find bearings in multiples of 2 now 10,12,14 etc . Went with a 12 mm bearing and it worked out just fine , same thing with lip seals . Sometimes close is the best we can do .

Algoma56 and milwscruffy like this.
  18. Yes I am passing all the information along to the owner, appears the bearing will be possible to find, may have to get creative with the locks perhaps.

19. Thanks, good catch. You would think with as many times I had looked it up in the last week I would have memorized it by now !

Algoma56 likes this.
  20. squirrel

squirrel

one thing about the internet is that you can find listings of items for sale, where the item is NOT actually in stock. So you have to do some checking to verify it really is in stock before ordering it.

Algoma56 and milwscruffy like this.
  21. My Friend ordered from Bristol last night. They are listed as obsolete but available. They were listed as BCA RW506AR. Supposed to be 6-7 days delivery and are now $106.73 each. I told him to call first thing Monday morning and verify the order and availability with a human. Thanks again for the help.