Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Removing spray bomb paint from cloth...Any Tips?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fortunateson, May 4, 2024.

1. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

As the title states..a small error but I’d like to remove a little overspray. Ideas?

2. twenty8

twenty8

Scissors.........:eek:
    Would you like me to reply to the other identical thread as well?:rolleyes:

3. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

No thanks...I’d just “cut” it out anyway.

Bob Lowry and twenty8 like this.
  4. twenty8

twenty8

Wasn't sure if it was Groundhog Day, or if it is just a glitch in the matrix......o_O

You could try a little thinners on a clean white cotton rag. Don't make the rag wet with the thinners, just barely moist, and very carefully try it on a very small patch. It might affect the colour of the cloth itself.

Last edited: May 4, 2024
    loudbang likes this.

5. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

Just a maybe, I use oven cleaner to strip paint from model cars. Easy Off or store brand, doesn’t matter. I have no idea if it would also remove color from the fabric. I suggest you duplicate the mistake on another scrap of the same fabric and try the oven cleaner.

6. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Ive used soy based paint thinner to remove paint from a couch. Its like a gel, no odor & worked well

alanp561 and loudbang like this.
  7. X-cpe

X-cpe

Some thoughts.
    First off, what type of 'cloth' is it? Just like doing laundry, the type of material makes a big difference in how and what you can use to treat it. You are not going to throw your Sunday-go-to-meeting suit in with your shop Levi's.
    It's a little late now, but maybe putting some sort of an absorptive material (Kleenex, toilet paper, etc.) on it while it when it first happened might have drawn a some of it out.
    From Army Chemical/Biological training, use the pinch-blot method. Don't rub. With your cleaning rag and agent spread your thumb and finger(s) to the outer edges of the stain and pull toward the center. If using a brush also work from the outer edges in. Then use a clean absorbent cloth to draw out the contaminates. Again, don't rub.

loudbang likes this.
  8. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

wd40 works good on tar i just got all over my truck seat. i know it will not hurt anything. might give it a try

9. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Whatever you use be sure to use a stiff bristle brush to get the cleaner into the fabric, and have a decent shop vac handy to pull the loosened paint out of the material while it's damp.

10. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My upholstery buddy told me to use Goo Gone on my white marine grade vinyl and it does clean it pretty well. I have also used it to remove glue from my black carpeting. I suspect it would work for this but I'd test it in an area that is not obvious before trying it on the over spray.

11. If you're using any kind of a flammable solvent or cleaner I'd be wary of drawing the vapors into a vacuum cleaner.
    :eek:

X-cpe likes this.
  12. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Thanls for the replies and suggestions everyone. It’s not a major issue but it is irritating. I’ll try the suggestions and see what happens....

13. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

Acetone will dissolve the paint but it may also bleach the cloth.
    Experiment with it on an unseen area of the cloth first.

14. HOTRODNORSKIE

HOTRODNORSKIE
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Take some brake clean and spray it on a gojo hand wipe or any hand wipe works very well.

15. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

Turpentine ( what’s the US English translation of that?) Denatured alcohol, methylated spirits (metho here) both try somewhere you can’t see first, will work if the paints recent. Follow both up with your fav upholstery cleaner.

16. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

I bought a Olds seat at a swap meet that someone had used for a seat in their garage. It had primer spray all over it. I was surprised to see it came right out with a scrub brush and some mean green. Couldn't even tell it was there!

alanp561 likes this.
  17. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

If you have any of the cloth thats not usually visable, you might try a little overspay on it and test what you are doing to see if it causes a bigger problem. My suggestion is some Simple Green and a finger brush . It removes grease and most of the rattle can paint from my hands.