Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The "Whatever" project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dave G in Gansevoort, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Me too! Just got back from NAPA, and it was sort of successful... I have a seal and output shaft tailhousing bushing kit on order for pickup tomorrow. I think it's the correct parts. Now don't laugh too much, I pulled a Tim Allen, and took the S10 tailhousing with me. You all know the routine. Ask for parts for a 1993 S10 T5 transmission from a 4 cylinder 2 wheel drive truck. Huh! This particular counter guy is a retired veteran, and a really nice guy. Unfortunately he's not a long time parts guy. And they don't have the old parts books to leaf thru.

So we looked up the S10 parts. Gimpy has said GM made some strange combinations regarding the T5 transmissions. This is definitely one. So instead we looked up the parts for the 88 V-8 T5. Tada, after 20 minutes those parts are still available and I'll have them tomorrow. Hopefully they'll be the correct ones.

So now I'm going to go to the garage and pop both seals out, and make sure they are the same. Oh well what can I say. Using 30 year old parts has its drawbacks...

brEad and vtwhead like this.
  2. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

You know when it's time to change the rear seal on a transmission? And you have a proper tool for the job, but it doesn't matter, because someone already changed the seal years ago? And they wanted to be sure that it didn't leak? And they put something on the seal like Loctite of some sort? Yeah, I had one of those today!

So I got medieval on it! And I didn't damage the tailhousing either! So tomorrow I'll get the one out of the S10 tailhousing probably the same way. And the bushing. That will press out. And I'll press the new parts back in ... Hopefully!

brEad and Tim_with_a_T like this.
  3. RodStRace

RodStRace

And then you find that last guy used stuff on it because he also hacked the old one out, damaging the seating area!

Dave G in Gansevoort likes this.
  4. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

I'm hoping that the S10 tailhousing is not boogered up. Haven't pulled that one yet. I did spend more time looking for my old slide hammer kit than pulling the seal out of the V-8 tailhousing. Got every finger and toe crossed possible. Found a 4 leaf clover out in the lawn. Tossed salt over my left shoulder at supper tonight. Knocked on every piece of wood in the garage. Found a cricket and brought it in the garage and then back out. Well, you get the idea...

brEad likes this.
  5. RodStRace

RodStRace

Got a black cat inside and another outside, so I'm trying to pull the bad juju away!:D

6. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Thanks, I appreciate that!

7. brEad and Dave G in Gansevoort like this.
  8. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Nah! There's a thread on the hamb from down under where they show how to modify a standard shifter. And remember, I'm half Scots i.e. thrifty (mom's side of the family was from Bennington... and Scottish heritage), so that is why...

Okay, I'm cheap!

loudbang likes this.
  9. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

My Mom was 1/5th Scotch!

10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

That reminds me I'm outa Bourban!

11. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

There's a wee touch of the Irish in me. I go for Jaimison's

12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Makers Mark for me!
    My wifes' sister lives in Kentucky, I've been there, does that count?

13. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Yes it does!

14. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Well, the mongrel T5 is on its way to a new home. Then I made a new rocker for the tool post for the lathe. And made a first practice turning! This lathe is so tight. No chatter and a nice smooth cut.

So tomorrow I'll make a tool to remove and replace the output shaft bushing in the S10 tailhousing. Then replace the seL, goop it up and get it back together.

Shifter, output yoke, and driveshaft. I think I'm making progress again...

brEad, ratrodrodder and X-cpe like this.
  15. ratrodrodder

ratrodrodder
    from Boston

Nothing like using well-made tools to further a project!

16. You are getting there pal. I am eating bondo dust. Filler on. Filler off. Two of the 5 pieces in primer. 3 to go.

17. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

As hinted at above, I made a tool to remove and replace the output shaft bushing in the S10 T5 tailhousing. Having a good working lathe is the cats pajamas!
    20240506_203437.jpg
    Had this piece of tubing, left over from the neighbor's stock of unique bits and bobs. It was a leg connection as I remember from a trampoline frame that he hauled away from someone who was throwing it out. It had a nice heavy swaged section that was a bit over 1 5/8 od, enough that once turned to 0.005 under the output shaft bushing size, 1 5/8, it was perfect for the job.

Old one out, and time for a cleaning. I sprayed it with Dawn dish spray and let it sit for a few minutes. Meanwhile I got out the pressure washer. And I got soaked! Beautiful day for an outside shower. Got the grease off, but the grime that is ground into the casting needs something stronger.

20240506_203329.jpg 20240506_203410.jpg
    So here's the after. What does the collective wisdom and experience have to say about what's next? I'm due for a trip to the hardware store and NAPA.

brEad and Sharpone like this.
  18. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Ratrodder and I have that ahead of us sometime in the future...

Sharpone likes this.
  19. Well if I graduate my apprentice program with my mentor I can bestow my new found wisdom on you and rat rodder.

Sharpone likes this.
  20. RodStRace

RodStRace

There have been a few threads on cleaning aluminum.
    Like everything, start with mild and work up.
    I don't remember anyone coming up with a magic solution to this, besides elbow grease.
    Dry ice blasting is expensive, chemicals tend to discolor or worse as much as clean, and any media blasting leaves the media behind, so you gotta scrub anyway.

21. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Yeah, and the Scots side of me, i.e. thrifty, says elbow grease is in the cards! I'll probably wait until the whatever comes apart for final welding to do a thorough job on it. Then take it all apart for some serious grime removal. Probably for the best. I'll be able to evaluate all of the bearings and stuff inside at that time.

Maybe I'll go with the T10. It's apart, the cases (I ended up with 2...) are only oily or painted. Baking soda blast and sneak them through the dishwasher... don't tell SWMBO! And good to go. The only problem with that is the external linkage. And my short, wide feet. They need to clear each other. Gas pedal on top maybe???

Sharpone likes this.
  22. RodStRace

RodStRace

A Scot would have already saved old toothbrushes, but you can also hit up the local thrift stores for plastic bristle brushes.:D

Sharpone likes this.
  23. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

There's really only two people that can help you then, an appliance salesman or a divorce lawyer!

24. RodStRace

RodStRace

You know, I haven't heard of even one guy using the magic wand with a brush attached to get into those tight corners. Guess they aren't with us any more.

Sharpone likes this.
  25. ratrodrodder

ratrodrodder
    from Boston

Will the molasses bath trick work on that case?

Sharpone likes this.
  26. ratrodrodder

ratrodrodder
    from Boston

Did a little more searching and found the below from a 2006 thread. Added the bold bits to get your attention. :D

Sharpone likes this.
  27. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Well, I just happen to have a few slightly used toothbrushes, saved for just such emergencies!

Of course I'll have to use toothpaste for the cleaning. Anything else would taste bad after...

Sharpone likes this.
  28. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

I don't think I'll try that! The case is aluminum! Might end up with only gears!

ratrodrodder and Sharpone like this.
  29. Dave, on my top loader tail stock which looked like your piece I replaced the rear seal with a wooden plug that I made. The same for the speedo hole and then bolted the face to a 3/4 piece of flat wood completely sealing the piece. Bead blasted it and it turned out fine. No dust or particles reached the inside. Blew it off and painted it with the plugs attached. Looks great. FWIW

30. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Good idea Walt! I think we might have a winner! I can do the tailhousing now, and the rest once I have bolted it all back together. That way I can get it back in for setup and shifter choice. And I can get it cleaner when it all comes apart for final welding.

TrailerTrashToo and Sharpone like this.