Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Leaking Shocks

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Doug G, Apr 17, 2024.

1. Doug G

Doug G
    from Manheim Pa

Anyone having trouble with leaking shocks ? First it was the rear coil overs. Rebuilt a couple years ago and leaking again. Put Alden's on my latest build and not leaking last time I looked ! Now I look at the front shocks on my new build and they are both leaking. Bought correct hot rod shocks from P & J and ride height is in center of travel. Any suggestions ? Thanks

2. BJR

BJR

Are you sure the shocks are not bottoming out on big bumps?

3. RodStRace

RodStRace

Or sitting for long periods?

4. For most of what goes on here, my choices are off topic. I use Ridetechs. Very few problems. The other brands of coil overs, nothing but trouble.

okiedokie likes this.

5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have had QA1's, all 4 corners on my Olds for over 12 years and no issues. I have Bilstein's on my roadster for 9 years with no issues.

V8-m and loudbang like this.
  6. '29 Gizmo

'29 Gizmo
    from UK

All down to the quality of manufacture and design. Who makes P&J's shocks?

There are only a handfull of manufacturers who make high quality shocks, the rest brand cheap low cost economy sourced stuff.

7. Doug G

Doug G
    from Manheim Pa

I am sure the shocks are not bottoming out, but does sit for long periods of time as most specialty vehicles do in the East coast. The shocks are stamped on the body Pete & Jakes but I don't know who makes them for them. Maybe time to try another brand. It's just very discouraging to build vehicles and have the parts failing before you drive 100 miles.

8. V8-m

V8-m
    from Alaska

Probably made in China like almost everything in today's world.

9. Grumpy ole A

Grumpy ole A

Did you get in touch with P&J about the problem?

10. Sorry, but the P&J shocks are not the greatest. Mine gave out at 20k miles.
    I replaced them with Bilsteins. With 45+k miles, they are still doing great.

2OLD2FAST likes this.
  11. 29Sleeper

29Sleeper
    from SoCal

Where you live may be the problem. Driving keeps the shafts moving in the seals and both lubricated. If the shafts get the least bit of rust (or dry enough to stick to the seal) they will tear up the seals. Generally the shafts are plated and ground smooth but we all know that steel can rust under the plating.

12. badshifter

badshifter

Yes. Pictures of the install and brand names. Aldan is on the lowest end of shocks in my experience. Like many car parts, the less you drive/use, the sooner they fail.

2OLD2FAST likes this.