Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Project X project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Utahvette, Feb 22, 2024.

1. Utahvette

Utahvette

Just by chance, I was looking through a 1967 copy of "Honest Charley's " catalog last night and found just about everything aftermarket that was used on the "X" car at this point in time. If you multiply all those prices by 9 1/2 you get pretty close to current prices. That 3-barrel carb would be $952.35!!! People tend to look back with rose-colored glasses thinking things were so much cheaper in the past but the reality is they still cost a lot even then. Nobody was giving anything away.

Attached Files:

2. Utahvette

Utahvette

Scored a correct heater control panel today. One small step closer. DSCN4242[1].JPG Screenshot 2024-03-13 201453.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2024
  3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I like the basic set up over the Deluxe.

4. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I enlarged the pics for you, always hit "full image" when posting.... Love this project....

mad mikey and porkshop like this.
  5. Going on be fun watching you put it all together.

6. Utahvette

Utahvette

I sold the aluminum door panel kit and a spare front apron for $310. Down to 18,690. Still have the race engine. Beginning to think it might be a tough sell. Part of the problem is we don't have a race track around here anymore ( they sold out to build warehouses) so whatcha gonna do with a 14 to 1 compression race engine. I just need to be patient. I'm close enough to the Vegas or Boise Idaho tracks that someone could make a day trip to pick it up if they bought it.

mad mikey, swade41 and porkshop like this.
  7. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

E85 street mill... :D .
    Marcus...

8. Or just drop the compression to 11:1, rebalance and run it on pump gas!

9. Utahvette

Utahvette

Believe me, I've tried to justify using the engine, but the approximately 15 grand the things worth would finish the car with money left over.

427 sleeper and elgringo71 like this.
  10. Utahvette

Utahvette

I've just about got this disassembled as far as it need s to go. At this point it's a matter of some body mount bolts and the brake lines to get the body off so I guess I'm gonna pull it off. It will sure make it easier to restore the rear suspension. The previous owner installed a nice ladder bar set up and moved the rear springs to under the frame. All that needs to be changed back to stock and it would be so much simpler with the body off. Cutting, grinding and welding while laying under a car is not as much fun as it sounds. DSCN4307[1].JPG DSCN4308[1].JPG DSCN4309[1].JPG DSCN4310[1].JPG

11. You'll be in a really good position to install a spring pocket kit while the body is off.

Deuces, SS327 and mad mikey like this.
  12. Awesome project! Looking forward to following along!

Deuces likes this.
  13. 55 gasser pickup

55 gasser pickup
    from utah

Been wondering about this thing.Thanks for the update Rex

Deuces likes this.
  14. Utahvette

Utahvette

Scored a polished Edelbrock C427X intake and coil bracket recently. Baby steps. Already have the Valve covers and one A.C. breather. Still looking for another breather and a Holley 3 Barrel carb. Good swap meet season is coming. 16.jpg DSCN4320[1].JPG

15. Utahvette

Utahvette

Big Day! I pulled the body off. I'm a one man show so I had to improvise how to lift this thing without a 2 post lift or hoist of some sort, and with no help from anyone else. First I removed the doors and trunk lid to reduce weight. Then after removing all the body bolts(only broke two off), undoing the E- brake cable and the lines off the master cylinder, all that was left was the steering. The previous owner had adapted a rag joint to the box so it was simple to disconnect from there. With my plasma cutter I built an extension for my cherry picker out of one of the previously removed frame outriggers for the roolbar. Using a 4x4 fence post and experimenting with balance points, it turns out it is at the front of the back window opening. Making sure I positioned the cherry picker so it wouldn't be rolling over any cracks in the driveway, I placed the fence post through the car and centered the extension on the beam. It balanced perfectly and lifted right off. Pretty slick! I would estimate I only lifted it about a foot or so to clear the frame to remove the body sideways. I did have to take off the rear tires to gain additional clearance. Only took about 3 hours total. I know it's "hillbilly engineering" but necessity is the mother of invention and it did work after all. Now to chop out that nice ladder bar setup and put the springs back out board of the frame like original. DSCN4331[1].JPG DSCN4326[1].JPG DSCN4327[1].JPG DSCN4328[1].JPG DSCN4329[1].JPG DSCN4332[1].JPG DSCN4333[1].JPG DSCN4334[1].JPG

Attached Files:

16. 55 gasser pickup

55 gasser pickup
    from utah

You have been busy!. I however have been picking at that big block, i think next week i will be shoe horning it in my car. Call if ya need a hand.

17. phat rat

phat rat

Utahvette, I'm a one man operation myself and your hoisting is similar to what I do except I have adjustable metal clamps with eye bolts on my 4 x4 and use chain over the top. I built a new much longer arm for my cherry picker that has a upright of 15". The original arm is just under 3 ft long. The new on is 81" long with the upright back 45" from the front. Too be on the safe side I wrapped the end of the tube on the picker with some 1/4" strap to prevent any splitting. I also built a piece onto the bottom back to hold counter weight if needed. I can easily lift bodies and truck cabs off my trailer now

Last edited: Apr 19, 2024
    GuyW and Deuces like this.