Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Saskatchewan "A Tudor" Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by meteorpete, Oct 2, 2023.

1. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As I understand it canadian frames aren't stamped. My 1930 A is canadian and isn't stamped. The Robertson screws are another tell tale sign.

Phil

meteorpete, winduptoy and CSPIDY like this.
  2. Illustrious Hector

Illustrious Hector

Robertson screws in a canadian car of any vintage, may or may not be a factory install. Ford used them until a dispute with the inventor led to them being discontinued , I believe around 1932-33. In many areas slotted or phillips screws are special order. Disdained by retailers pushing the nationalist propaganda.

3. meteorpete

meteorpete

Spent some time today working on removing the brake components.

I am replacing the "early" multi-piece cross shaft (shown on the right in first photo) with the "later" style (shown on the left in first photo). Also, note the clamshell design that supports the early 3 piece cross shaft.

The thinking for now is to update the entire "early" brake system with the "later" style mechanical service brake system AND have the left side (second photo) parking brake lever operate all 4 wheels when pulled (just like it does now). I want to keep the lever in this position (because it's rare and cool) and I won't have a separate parking brake system like the later cars.

Thanks to my good friend Warren (Wuga) for the help in figuring this out (so far) and locating parts!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2024
    Jeff34 and SS327 like this.
  4. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Cool, I have one of those levers on a very rusty chassis, always thought it would be cool to use

5. SS327

SS327

Did you try to fire up the engine before you took it apart? See how the trans and rearend sounded?

6. meteorpete

meteorpete

The car had rotted tires so I could not drive it. But I did get engine running and also did a compression test where all cylinders were about 60 lbs. Good enough for me to tear the car down!

Jeff34 and SS327 like this.
  7. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yesterday I went on a little road trip. 500 miles in 12 hours. Two members on here needed something and I knew where those parts were. ‘tywy’ was looking for a head for his banger and really wanted a 7:1 something. Charlie Yapp and Jim Brierley have currently stopped making their’s, but I heard of a Lion head resting in the back of a garage in Ottawa Ontario. ‘meteorpete’ was looking for an S10 4x4 T5 and they also have become impossible to find. I phoned a friend in Montreal Quebec and low and behold he had two of them left. He rebuilds about 100 T5s a year. He told me he has now exhausted these particular T5s. Setting out at 9AM I drove 4 hours to Ottawa where I met John who had the Lion head and a Roof overhead conversion as well. The Roof was a little too rich for my wallet. We talked for about 1.5 hours and I left with the head still packaged in the original box. I then drove another 1.5 hours to Montreal where I met my friend. We had a nice 1 hour visit and then I headed home with the T5. At 9PM I dragged my sorry ass in the house but elated I could help a couple of banger guys get closer to their dream

Warren
    trans.jpg

head.jpg

box.jpg

swade41, Outback, meteorpete and 4 others like this.
  8. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Apple pie is a vastly under rated tool in the shop. I suppose because it’s a consumable people don’t admit to using it as much as they do. I’ve also had good results with Pumpkin pie with whipping cream...

Outback and meteorpete like this.
  9. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Robertson screws are a truly wonderful design!

Last edited: Feb 29, 2024
  10. meteorpete

meteorpete

I can't say enough good things about Warren, both as a person and as a hot rodder willing to share his knowledge and his time. I can't wait until we are cruising together in our bangers!

ModelAMitch and Outback like this.
  11. meteorpete

meteorpete

I have decided to completely tear down my car to the frame. I've given myself until the Spring of 2025 to havc this banger on the road so I may as well do it top to bottom and front to back and really get to know the car.

Today, when I removed the rad, I noticed that the front crossmember is cracked in multiple places and has had a repair at some point. Looks like I'll be replacing it!

Can anyone recommend the best source for a new crossmember? I don't want any more drop so I'll be replacing it with a stock crossmember.

IMG_0724.JPG IMG_0729.JPG

Outback likes this.
  12. meteorpete

meteorpete

Not much to report other than everything is now off the frame. Had some difficulty locating a replacement crossmember. My good friends Wuga and Bogline were helping me as well with this search. A neighbour dropped by my house last a few days ago and he had a Model A frame leaning up against his garage with a decent crossmember! A quick deal was made and now I have a replacement. It has a few cracks that I will weld up before installing but it's in much better condition than my current crossmember. I'm thinking I will use the plug weld method to install it as rivets are beyond my scope and I don't think I'll like the look of bolts. Advice welcome on this.

I'm also in the process of cleaning up the frame, etc. and thanks again to Wuga for loaning me his engine hoist, spring spreaders, etc. I can't thank the guy enough for helping me out.

IMG_1126.JPG

swade41, Outback and ModelAMitch like this.
  13. Illustrious Hector

Illustrious Hector

Yes they are, for woodworking and HVAC sheet metal

Outback likes this.
  14. lamaison

lamaison
    from Canada

Just a heads up with regard to the replacement crossmember - it is the 1930-31 version which has several differences, but the main one that affects anything is that the mounting area for the radiator is recessed/lowered when compared to the 1928-29 version. You may need to shim between the crossmember and the earlier radiator mounting brackets for everything to line up correctly, especially if you plan on running a hood.
    -
    Model A Crossmember Differances.JPG Early vs late FRONT CROSSMEMBERS.jpg

15. meteorpete

meteorpete

This is good information! Thanks for letting me know.

16. meteorpete

meteorpete

Haven't accomplished as much as I would like lately but I am making progress, having some fun (and some frustrations) and learning plenty.

I did some minor crack repairs on the "new" crossmember and then welded it in to my frame by doing plug welds since most of the original rivet holes did not align perfectly due to using a '30/31 crossmember in a '28 frame. I think it looks great and am pleased with my work.

IMG_1238.JPG

I also riveted the brake linings to my front '32 Ford brake shoes as I had a tool on loan. This was a fun job and am pleased with this work as well. My front brakes are in great condition and now just need to be painted and reassembled. My rear brakes are at Dixies in Kitchener getting new cast drums swedged to the hubs. I am sticking with the original "early" style rear drums without a separate parking brake.

IMG_1255.JPG IMG_1256.JPG

I spent a few hours cleaning the rust off and grease off the enitre frame with a wire brush on a drill. This is such a dirty job that I swore I would never do again. I then sprayed the frame with rattle can rust converter that was supposed to also act as a primer. Well, I believe it has caused me many headaches and lost time as the rattle can semi-gloss black paint is "curdling" in spots when I add the second coat. I've tried re-sanding the frame and 2 different types of paint (spray on Tremclad and Rustoleum) with more curdling. I should have finished this frame last week! I am only building a banger so today I bought a litre of Tremclad and some brushes - I will let the frame dry again overnight, hit it with some sandpaper to remove the old paint and see if using brush on paint does the trick.

IMG_1293.JPG

Looks like I have some cracks in my passenger side rear motor mount which I'm not sure what to do about.

IMG_1308.JPG IMG_1309.JPG

Hoping to make alot of progress tomorrow with a full day planned in the garage!

swade41 likes this.
  17. SS327

SS327

Let it dry longer after you sand it. It’s not fully cured.

deadbeat likes this.
  18. meteorpete

meteorpete

I thought the same thing but I forgot to mention that in addition to trying two types of aerosol paint I also followed the instructions for each paint and applied the second coat either within the short time window or the long time window (within a couple of hours or after 48 hours). I think it has something to do with the rust converter I used and perhaps the temperature I applied it at (around 5 degrees celsius) and/or perhaps I applied it to heavily. Some sections accepted the first and second coat and some reacted either at the first or the second.
    I am going to give the frame a good sanding today and maybe even bring it out into the sun and let it heat up this afternoon before I apply the Tremclad with a brush.

SS327 likes this.