Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Measurement request for space between front spring and drop axle?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Fernando Covarrubias, Mar 29, 2024.

1. Hello,
    I need some front suspension measurements for a project I’m working. I need the distance between the bottom of the front leaf spring to the top of the drop axle when under load so engine/trans and body on frame please. I know everyone’s is different but this will help me to get an idea of the space I have to work with. I have an image of what I need. Thank you guys for your responses I greatly appreciate it IMG_2224.jpeg

2. Anywhere from 2-8".

This is not really a dimension you need to worry about unless your spring is quite flat, and it's going to vary based on how low you want your car to be.

Just Gary likes this.
  3. clem

clem

45 & 50mm are what mine are, not really enough in my mind, but seems to be enough in real life.

make sure your U bolts clear the axle either side. Yes, sounds obvious but can hit if someone else has been there before you……….

Last edited: Mar 30, 2024
  4. NJ Don

NJ Don

I run 1 3/4" - 2" from bottom of spring clamp to top of I-beam axle. It may seem small but I haven't bottomed in years. This is with a SoCal button leaf spring using just 4 leaves. My avatar is the car using this. 1,200 lbs on the front tires. Nice ride too.
    Just checked "clem"s metric numbers above and they match mine, huh!

pprather and clem like this.

5. Thank you guys for the dimensions