Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 41 ford cluster gear end play question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wheeltramp brian, Mar 29, 2024.

1. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

I recently bought a rebuilt 41 Ford transmission from another hamb 20240327_133123.jpg 20240327_133119.jpg er and upon inspection The cluster gear has a lot of play back-and-forth. I've measured about a 16th of an inch and I've read that it needs to be about fifteen thousands. Anybody have the proper specs? Anybody sell a shim kit for this? I've sent a private message to Mac Van pelt about this but have not heard back yet.

2. Oneball

Oneball

Shouldn't there be a thrust washer there?

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  3. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

That's on the front side of the transmission, on the rear side of the cluster gear There is a thrust washer of some kind. I'll look into it this morning and get some detailed pictures.

4. chicken

chicken
    from Kansas

Yes, thrust washer at both ends. Tighter clearance is better...down to .002" works fine for me and helps keep the trans in gear under decel.

Wanderlust and big duece like this.

5. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

That's what I don't want happening is popping out of gear.

6. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

Just checked inside the case and for sure Is a thick thrust washer at the rear and nothing in the front. I guess I need to pull this thing apart and check it out. 20240329_085429.jpg

7. chicken

chicken
    from Kansas

8. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

Yup, that explains everything in that drawing. Gonna pull it apart right now and see what else I may need in this thing.

9. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

You are missing a thrust washer. Should be one on each end. These also act as the fore and aft bearings. Running with one missing will ruin the case. End play is .015" max. There used to be thin spacers available to fine tune the end play due to a worn case, etc. I don't know if they are available now. There is more than one version of the thrust washers. To see which one you need involves removing the cluster gear to see which one is in there. The difference is the tabs on the back side of washer that fit the end of the gear. You might also contact centuryhotrods.com

10. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

Thanks, all I've got it figured and I've got the trans almost apart. I just talked to the guy that rebuilt it for me and he feels bad about it. And was gonna refund me all my money. But I told him no sweat things happen.

Oneball and Moriarity like this.
  11. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

Nope, no thrust washer in the front at all. And I believe the front seal is in backwards. Oh well, that's about it. Everything else looks great. The thrust surfaces look great in here 20240329_094750.jpg 20240329_094756.jpg 20240329_094956.jpg too.Luckily, I didn't need to swap the trans in anytime soon.

12. chicken

chicken
    from Kansas

Yep, seal is bass ackward.

13. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

Yep, I already replaced it.

14. Mac VP

Mac VP

Sorry I missed this thread. The factory spec for end play at the cluster gear was 0.005” to 0.015” clearance, and the factory “wear limit” was 0.025”. I guess Ford was okay with that limit but we aren’t at our shop.
    We do have steel shim washers available for the rear thrust location but only in about 0.021” thick. You would fit this between the rear cluster gear washer and the adjoining location at the back (inside) of the gearbox. If the thrust surface inside the case is badly worn , particularly if the contact area is grooved, I don’t think the shim washer would last very long.

15. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

Thanks for the reply, Mac. I believe I have these parts at the house. Just have to wait and see. As far as the thrust surface in the box itself, they are perfect.

16. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

When I ordered the new thrust washer for the front I ordered a new rear one too. Just to be sure. When I put it all together, it was way too tight and couldn't put a feeler gauge in between it. So I put the old rear thrust washer back in and ended up with 0.005. I'm good with that. I also put a new sealed bearing in the rear but took off the front part of the seal so it gets gear oil and notice that the snap ring is about half as thick as the old one and caused the rear portion to have a bunch of play, so I had to take the old snap ring 20240403_122927.jpg 20240403_112244.jpg From the old bearing and transfer it to the new and everything was nice and tight. Also Installed a new u joint.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2024
    Oneball likes this.
  17. alchemy

alchemy

Brian, you’re ok with 0.05”? That’s double Ford’s max. Sounds like an invitation to jump out of second gear.

Or maybe you forgot a zero?

Moriarity likes this.
  18. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

Yup, ha ha, sorry, forgot a 0. .005 I'll correct the post.