Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects flush mount windscreen aka windshield !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buick bill, Mar 29, 2024.

1. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

im considering trying to mount the windshield in my latest acquisition .,41 chevy sd coupe/hardtop , using urethane .and a butt joint in the center .any advice /suggestions . from people with experience . ?should i use something to border the glass .? use the same thing for quarter /rear glass .any pix to share ? thnx .for all guidance IMG_3746001.jpg IMG_3755001.jpg IMG_3743001.jpg

2. Guessing the front and side glass is flat. Not horribly difficult to make patterns.
    With a Vee Butt in the center, the mating edges need to be ground and polished at the correct angle.
    Rear glass is going to be fun, if the opening is larger than the OEM glass.

3. dwollam

dwollam

Why not use stock type rubber gaskets?

Dave

4. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

been there ... done that.... i lke a change ..gona do everything different on this one ! else why build another one ......... DSCF5604.JPG

5. I did it on a '36 Pontiac project. Works fine. Articles on this project have been published over the years in rod magazines. You remember when there were rod magazines don't you? Just get the glass cut accurately so the joint just touches and is uniform with no gaps. On my project I got the rubber and made some 1/8" Masonite wood patterns for the glass shop. Probably best to do this even if you have the original glass for a pattern since a but joint will have slightly longer panes. I used clear silicone but that was before urethanes took over the market. Clear urethan rubber is by far the best option.
    BUBBACAR3..JPG

6. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

looks great .. thats what im looking for ..and the stock rubber is a pain in the .... to install . . no orig. glass .chopped 2 inch's , and b-pillar delete

7. alchemy

alchemy

Back in the 80’s when the street rodders were smoothing everything out, they used to glue the glass flush and fill the gap with S-10 windshield rubber T trim.

lowrd, alanp561 and anthony myrick like this.
  8. Yep. Street rod guys been doing it for decades

lostone likes this.
  9. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

thats it ...i wana be a street rod guy when i grow up ! been done , but never bye me .im needing the tee molding . or what ever is better .or comparable

10. I’ve got a glued in on my bus. Used the WS primer on the glass and channel.
    Glass guy used a generic molding. Looks similar to a gasket.

11. spanners

spanners

I looked into this a few years back when doing a '39 Chev. The glass people said no problem but their advice was not to use clear in the centre, use black instead or glue a fake moulding in. The reason was that it's like looking into a cracked mirror.
    My mate had a '37 Chev with clear in the centre and he backed up what the windscreen people said.