Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Ed " Big Daddy " Roth's Autographed Actual Shop Door Can Be Yours !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trulyvintage, Mar 22, 2024.

1. tim troutman

tim troutman

I was close found it .the Booger Buggy booger buggy.JPG

2. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

Looks to be a misprint of the door description from the auction company. How can the main door to Roth's studio be only 28 inches tall? You would have to get down on your hands and knees to enter the studio. Perhaps a repost would be in order with the correct door measurements.

X-cpe and Sharpone like this.
  3. BULLSHIT!!!!! I WOULDN'T BELIEVE ANYTHING SHE SAID. I TRIED TO TALK TO HER AT A SHOW IN VEGAS, TO TELL HER ED WAS MY GODFATHER AND SALLY WAS MY MOMS BEST FRIEND, AND SHE PUT HER HAND UP AND WALKED AWAY. LOST ALL RESPECT...RIGHT THERE. AND HER SON TRYING TO REPRESENT HIMSELF AS EDS "SON". VULCHERS....LIVING OFF EDS BONES.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2024
  4. THE THING FROM THE ORIGINAL SHOP, THAT WOULD BE WORTH "HUGE" MONEY, IS THE DOOR OFF THE FRIDGE! IT HAD A RATFINK ON IT AND ALL KINDS OF OTHER STUFF SIGNED ON IT. I KNOW THERE'S A PIC OF IT IN THE ROTH BOOK, IN THE BACKGROUND. HE LIKED TO DOODLE ON EVERYTHING....
    YES, IT'S TRUE....THERE WAS DRAWINGS ALL OVER THE WALLS.

loudbang and Bill's Auto Works like this.
  5. snoc653

snoc653
    from Iowa

Is that door even an solid core exterior door? It sure does't look like one in the video,. Or was the door to his shop inside another building which might explain why he would have a cheap interior door as his "entrance" door. And the accounts seem to be coming in saying that it wasn't the door at his shop. The other thing they can do is go to his old shop and measure the entrance door opening.. If the door doesn't match the measurements, opens the wrong way like wrong side outside with no weather marks on the door, then they again have all the proof they need that the facts posted here are true. Going ahead with listing the item and setting a date tells me they have every intention of selling it with the lie. If in the worse case the proof is overwhelming, they will simply add a brief statement at the auction that will barely get noticed and let the people that don't pay attention buy the lie. That is how dishonest auction companies do it. and despite everyone that has said this company is honest, their actions speak louder than their words. I'm watching to see just how honest and reputable this auction company really is.

6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

the only place this door was EVER used as a door was on My buddy Billys garage in Little Canada Minnesota. Ed Roth did NOT paint this door. he did do some sharpie lettering and an autograph in 93 when he was in town here for the world of wheels car show... If they go ahead with the auction and the current description they are criminals, plain and simple

7. Dude....How many times does it have to be said? It wasn't Ed's door....

8. snoc653

snoc653
    from Iowa

Dude, you know that, I know that, but apparently the auction company is claiming they don't know that and are continuing the lie for profit. Stating how easy it is to verify the truth should prompt the auction company to do the right thing, since they are watching this thread.

Bill's Auto Works likes this.
  9. i concur! lol

Bill's Auto Works likes this.
  10. alchemy

alchemy

Bad Bob and Moriarity will probably be called as witnesses in the fraud lawsuit a year from now.

Exhibit A: The shop photo from Minnesota
    Exhibit B: This thread printed out and read before the jury.

11. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

It certainly won't be good if that auction goes off as is.
    It's a small world and with the internet, the world is even smaller.
    It is crazy... if a lawsuit does come about, it will cost more in Lawyer fees than anything.

12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I looked on Donley auctions site and did not find the door listed in the catalog. But is does say partial catalog... maybe the door has been pulled from the sale?

13. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

I don't know anyone involved here personally, but I could have sworn there was a video tour of the shop and he talked about having Ed come to his house and sign it one morning during a car show. Because I know I had heard the story before about that door, either on here, MFS, or some other youtube clip.

14. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

yup, I bet it was on Mad fabricators society, Billy was on one of them.

15. alchemy

alchemy

Exhibit C: Mad Fabricators Society

16. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Do you recollect ?
    Sure, and there is a evidence to prove it !

Ahhh yea ! :)

17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

can anyone here find the full video? this is all I can find on Mad fab vol 5

Sharpone likes this.
  18. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

I'm at work, but I can check later. I have the DVD at home or it is on TUBI streaming service.

19. j hansen

j hansen

20. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

21. Well, at the very least, no active HAMB members are going to buy it…

22. Speedster

Speedster

Take a look at these two pictures. Unless I’m mistaken, and I could be, the closeup of the artwork on the interior of the door shows the hole for the door knob mechanism on the right and the hinges on the left. It would obviously be the opposite from the outside.
    Take a look at the exterior photo I cropped. It’s not great resolution, but I don’t see any sigh of a door know on the left, where it should be if this door were on that building.
    Does anyone have a photo of the exterior of the building that clearly shows from which side the door hinges? IMG_8280.jpeg IMG_8279.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2024
  23. This is interesting ....

There are three people visible in the Donley Auctions Roth door video. Randy Donley, Greg Gram, and Mike Donley. Starting at roughly 1:47 of the video Greg states as fact "this door was in his shop, this is a picture of him in his shop". Greg doesn't state that the picture was apparently, allegedly, purportedly or "I've been led to believe" taken at Roth's shop, he states "this IS a picture of Roth's shop". At that point, a voice I assume is Mike Donley's states "that's his shop I was at, Flawson (or whatever) Avenue, Maywood California". Mike is basically stating as FACT "that's Roth's shop all right, I was there, it's the one Roth had in Maywood California", backing up what Greg stated. These two are literally claiming "the picture included in the auction IS Roth's shop" and one is claiming he can attest to that fact as "he was there, that IS his shop". Wow ... o_O

There are other items/details visible in the auction pic, a wall clock etc ... surely there are pics out there of Roth's shop that will show nothing in the pic that is included in the auction matches Roth's actual shop. Too bad Moriarity's pic doesn't show the area above and to the left of the door in his friends shop :(

Who's got pics taken inside Roth's shop?

On a happier note, I have a pretty good idea which auction house I am going to use when I go to sell my 1978 factory 4WD Corvette that was bought new by Henry Fords great-grandfather that was then gifted to Benjamin Franklin as a wonderful bar mitzvah gift ;)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2024
  24. I can’t add anything but I would take @Moriarity word about the history of this door. He is not a bullshitter…

25. JD Miller

JD Miller

:LOL: :D

I saw "von dutch" hanging out, with a beer, at Betz Speed & Color shop several times.... I never even said Hi to him. :D ........... I only knew he was the guy that painted that "ugly" stuff on Stan's El Camino :LOL: :D

26. Moriarity has a pic of his friends shop and a story to go with it.

The three "salesmen" have a picture of Moriarity's friends shop while claiming it's actually Roth's shop. Kind of interesting how the two pictures share identical door trim and wall color :rolleyes:

27. That's the fashion these days... repeat a lie enough times and it becomes true.

lostone, Thor1, milwscruffy and 5 others like this.
  28. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

29. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I talked to them on the phone days ago and it sounded like they were going to do the right thing, but I guess not