Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Let's finish the 50 Chevy pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Dec 29, 2023.

1. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I bought a china carb for my snowblower and it barely ran and was non-adjustable.

Gary

2. I have honestly just learned to shy away from new parts in general if I can. I would much rather make an old part work anymore considering the quality (or lack thereof) of most new stuff anymore.

3. Those seats look like they were rescued from the private party room at the local topless bar. Don't be shining the black light on them!

4. partssaloon

partssaloon

back when those quadrajets sold new for around $225.00 and the second year fuel injection was out they went up to $1200.00.

5. Budget36

Budget36

I’ll certainly be looking for the results from the carburetor. I’ve used 3 overseas carburetors over the years, but all for single cylinder engines. Honda GX340, Honda 125cc quad, and one on my log splitter. Techimsiy <sp>.
    All worked just fine.

6. SS327

SS327

I’m curious too! For that price it’s worth the experiment.

Bill's Auto Works and Budget36 like this.
  7. Worked on my truck a little today. Door glass installed, gotta pull it back out though, the front "roller" on both regulators is wore out, gotta make some new ones. Got the power steering done, I've gotta say, that's really nice! All of the lights are done, well, except those front park lights, I've gotta get something to stick in those holes, or fill them. The Holley on this thing is the one that was stopped up on my El camino, I've gotta pull it apart and soak it. Getting closer. There's a cruise in a couple of weeks, about 5 miles from the shop, I'm gonna try to drive it down there. 20240328_190552.jpg

Last edited: Mar 28, 2024
  8. That's a phenomenal turn-around. It gives me hotrod fever. I've got a goal, too. I plan to have my hotrod fired up and running in the engine by the 50th anniversary of purchasing the '29 AA in June 1974. I'm fabricating a bracket for an additional transmission cooler, then dropping the recently rebuilt engine into the more recently rebuilt transmission and next will be fabricating the drive shaft, wiring and plumbing the engine/transmission and turning the key. I admire your progress, Lloyd. We can almost taste a piece of that pie, can't we?

9. Looking good Brother! It’s great to hear from you, I figured you have been covered up with work. Mine is going in the shop in the next week or so to get ready for Bowling Green.

10. Lloyd resurfaces! Great progress, all you guys who keep gettin' it through the winter inspire me. All I can seem to do is fix stuff when it breaks, and hang out next to the wood stove.
    Hey, shoot me a phone text or PM with your new address. I have some shop art to send you.

Tickety Boo, SS327, saltflats and 5 others like this.
  11. Lloyd Stone
    401 Holt Avenue
    Mt Sterling Ky 40353

12. I've gotta get some run time on mine, but it's getting there. Nothing like coming down to the wire and heading across the state in an untested old car :D

SS327, 427 sleeper, 57 Fargo and 2 others like this.
  13. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No worries. You've got the HAMB. Just add a cell phone and a AAA card and you're good to go.:cool: Looking forward to some photos of the first trip.

Tickety Boo and 427 sleeper like this.
  14. Yeah I always say that a rollback is just a phone call away lol... I always have my toolbox

15. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

BFE !

Bwha BWHAhahah:D

16. Shit! I'm in the city now!

427 sleeper and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  17. I've been busy as a one legged man in an ass kicking contest Steve!! I had to take a break from sanding filler yesterday, so I messed with my truck for a couple of hours lol.

18. gene-koning

gene-koning

Untested old car? My 1st ever major rebuild took this pile and turned it into a car with a full roof (that is me and my son that just turned 41 a few weeks ago). 100_0790.JPG
    The first real drive (more then around the block) out of the shop required a roadside radiator replacement (the 1st rad had a mouse nest in it that made its presence known when it blew open the top radiator tank as soon as the motor reached operating temp). That was about 2 miles from the shop. Then (about an hour later with another used rad) the still really rough car went to a local cruise in. Then I drove it 10 miles home. The next morning the car went on a 400 mile one way road trip to Back To The 50s in MN and than back home. There were a few quick road fixes along the way (like tightening the axle to leaf spring U bolts I somehow missed doing, and chasing an oil leak that was blowing oil onto the passenger side windshield). We made it home alive.
    First road trips can be exciting!
    Go big, or stay home on the porch.

19. Oh yes. I've done it many times. If I ain't gonna drive it, I'll sell it. I have no need for a car that I'm not gonna drive.

20. Real fucking close to as done as it's gonna get lmao

21. Atta boy!

427 sleeper likes this.
  22. Rebuilt the carburetor, because this is the one that was on the El Camino and had the crud in it, never could get it right. I took it apart, soaked it in the Berryman's bucket for about 2 hours, blew it all out, put it back together with 66 jets and a black spring on the secondaries. Stick a 35 accelerator pump nozzle in it also. Runs good from what I can tell. It's now charging, all of the glass is done, bed floor is done, exhaust Hangers are done, got a couple of little things left, oh and the trans cover, avoiding that as much as possible lmao! Gonna get plates and insurance first of the week, and take it to the cruise in on Friday if it's not raining, or blue dick cold..... 20240406_191222.jpg 20240406_195217.jpg 20240406_195236.jpg 20240406_200406.jpg 20240406_200527.jpg

23. Every time I look at a picture, I realize I need different valve covers and an air cleaner, those make me nauseous lol

24. twenty8

twenty8

Thanks Lloyd. Coffee everywhere.........:D

61Cruiser, loudbang, Budget36 and 2 others like this.
  25. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

The wood looks good in the bed. I done a similar thing in my 31.

26. I need to take the gas cap and find a coupling and nipple to extend the filler into the bed.

27. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

I took one off another gas tank. Most older stuff had a rubber hose between the filler and tank. Like a big radiator hose. Think 67 to 72 chevy trucks. Another one I've done is cut the top of filler neck off and used a radiator hose to connect them.
    I would send you one but I'm a little slow getting to post office. :D
    Still need to send you the top boot to fix. I'm old and get distracted a lot. :oops::D.

28. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

A friend of mine used a motorcycle license plate with a spring hinge to cover the hole in the bed floor.
    Flip it up and remove gas cap. Cheap and worked.