Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Edelbrock B 20 manifold for Pontiac V8

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by '51 Norm, Mar 28, 2024.

1. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

After a 6+ year search I finally found a 671 supercharger intake manifold for a Pontiac V8. Now I am searching for information on it. And yes I tried the search function but the information that I found was old and sparse.
    When searching on Edelbrock's web site all I found was information on a Datsun manifold, I guess that Edelbrock has no information on items that are out of production.
    Apparently, when the manifold was made it didn't have provision for coolant passages or thermostat housing. My manifold has been modified with pipe threads at the coolant outlets on the heads so that hoses and a remote thermostat can be installed. Is this acceptable from a cooling standpoint?
    Soooo, has anyone else messed with one of these? What are other pitfalls that I haven't discovered yet?
    I am afraid that the drive pulleys etc. are going to get interesting.
    I have a '51 GMC that is the intended recipient for this engine. I discovered some time ago that there was room under the hood for a blower thus saving me the trouble of cutting a hole in the hood. Sorry, that is the best excuse that I could come up with.

2. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

Do you have a picture of that intake? Would be nice to see.

Desoto291Hemi and Deuces like this.
  3. 67drake

67drake
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Muscoda WI

Norm. I sent you a message.

Deuces and '51 Norm like this.
  4. Fordors

Fordors

I think you will find that your cooling system operates just as well as a Pontiac having the factory thermostat location. For my 350 SBC with an early Weiand blower manifold I tapped the front of the heads for 3/8 NPT and used -8 AN fittings and hose to an Offenhauser divorced thermostat housing.

Deuces and '51 Norm like this.

5. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

I will get some pictures when I drag the camera to the garage, likely tomorrow.

Deuces likes this.
  6. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

Thanks for the information, that is just the sort of thing that I am looking for.
    The manifold is tapped for half inch NPT so that should get the job done.

Deuces and Fordors like this.
  7. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

The reason I was asking for a picture was that I was trying to buy one about a year ago. It was to mount a 671 blower And I couldn't remember what brand it was.

8. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

This manifold is for a 671 blower onto the early Pontiac heads and so will need to be modified to fit the later ones. Since I need to have a couple of cracks welded up (see pictures) I will do the modifications at that time.

This manifold isn't in perfect shape but considering how long I have been searching for any Pontiac blower manifold I am thrilled to have it.

Attached Files:

lemondana and Deuces like this.
  9. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

I'm afraid that I am going to be in trouble finding all of the other pieces. It wouldn't surprise me at all if I have to fabricate some of them.

11. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

Really cool man. Thanks for the pictures.