Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Edelbrock 1406 Idle High Problems

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Joey McGuigan, Mar 28, 2024.

1. Joey McGuigan

Joey McGuigan

Hey everyone. in previous posts I was having idling down issues with the 1406 carbs and also running rich. I'm running a 354 hemi with a mild cam Weiand 7263 dual plane intake with a 1/2" dual plane spacer, and (2) 4" high square stacks. Edelbrock told me/sold me 1406's. a month ago, constant problems with bogging and running rich but drivable. I called them Monday and was told those carbs are too big for my application so they told me to step down to jetting that is in a 500 cfm. They said to change the primary's to .086 and leave the secondary's at .095. they also suggested changing the metering rods to match a 500, I did that and it runs worse. Not as rich, but I had to turn around and come back. The Bogg is worse. No vacuum leaks. Vacuum advance is working also. Ready to buy a pack of Newport's. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2024
  2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Loosen the nuts and see if lifting up the carburetor frees up the linkage.

Center of the Galaxie likes this.
  3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

adjustment screws? talking about air fuel mixture screws? Idle screw on drivers side of carb.

4. With the carb still mounted to the intake, disconnect any throttle linkage or cables from the carb. Also disconnect any transmission kickdown or t/v linkage. Visually check that both primary and secondary throttle plates are completely closed with the curb idle speed screw backed out from its stop. If everything looks OK slowly operate the throttle by hand from closed to fully open. Make sure everything moves smoothly with no stiffness or stickiness.

If you feel any stickiness or binding, remove the carb and see if things now move freely. I'm assuming that you've got a suitable throttle return spring in place.

If the carb has a choke check to see that the fast idle cam moves freely when the choke blade is fully open and is not contacting the fast idle screw. Check to make sure that the primary and secondary throttle blades haven't been drilled to provide idle air bleeds by a previous owner. This shouldn't be an issue if it's a new out-of-the-box carb.

Are you running a PCV system for c/case venting? If so, inspect the valve, hoses and fittings for splits, blockage or deterioration.

Budget36 likes this.

5. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

I've had the secondary's stuck open just a hair before.

ClayMart and gimpyshotrods like this.
  6. SS327

SS327

After adjusting the idle speed did you try snapping the throttle open and let the spring close it!

7. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Please tell us more about the new carb's. Are they new or re-man? If re-man, are the throttle plate's installed correctly and centered properly? I've had a pair of re-man 1405's that the throttle plate's were installed upside down... That was a real head scratcher for a minute... Just something to check.

ClayMart, SS327 and mad mikey like this.
  8. To add to the advice above . . .

With the carb removed and the throttle closed, look down thru the top at the throttle plates while holding a bright shop light shining up from underneath. If the throttle plates are fitted properly you shouldn't see any light leaking by where they seal against the throttle bores. If you do, you may be able to adjust and re-fit the plates in the throttle shafts. It can be a somewhat tedious job but it can be done with a steady hand and some patience.

9. moparboy440

moparboy440
    from Finland

Do you have vacuum gauge you could use to check the vacuum?

10. Joey McGuigan

Joey McGuigan

That sounds like a good idea. They look closed from the top. I will try that later on today and report back. Thanks.

11. Joey McGuigan

Joey McGuigan

Yes I do. I will try that. Thanks

12. Joey McGuigan

Joey McGuigan

Thanks. I just did that by loosening the nuts and shimming the carbs up about a 1/4" all around and no luck. That's my luck lol.

13. Joey McGuigan

Joey McGuigan

UPDATE: As I said in my previous posts, I had no vacuum leaks so I pulled the idle screws out of both, shot carb cleaner in the openings and blew compressed air in them. Took the car out and kicked it in the pants and everything works as it should. I did this because I read a thread about someone else having the same problem and there were small bits of packing material found in the carb. What a relief. Thanks for everyone's input. Hope this helps someone.

14. Joey McGuigan

Joey McGuigan

I am running a pvc c/case vent, all hoses are good, all new really.

15. Joey McGuigan

Joey McGuigan

Yes sir.

SS327 likes this.