Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Mechanical tach drive Buick nailhead

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by deucepickup32, Jan 9, 2024.

1. My new to me 32 has a 401 without a tach. I have a vintage SW mechanical tach that I hope to utilize. I know that 5k is low but not racing either. IMG_1480.jpeg What are the options?

Deuces likes this.
  2. Deuces

Deuces

Nice!....:cool:

deucepickup32 likes this.
  3. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Probably a couple of ways to drive it on your car. A vintage Mallory dual point with a tach drive or an early corvette generator with a tach drive. if you choose the gen you will have to match the lower pulley size of the corvette so it is reasonably accurate. Tachs that are driven from a dist are a different ratio than gen driven tachs. If you choose to use the vette generator your tach will read double actual rpms. they can be recalibrated or you can get a gear reduction (.500) to put in the cable

Last edited: Jan 9, 2024
  4. Thanks for the info and appreciate your insight

Moriarity likes this.

5. nonipshere

nonipshere

I'm thinking about doing the same to my 322 nailhead. I have the tach driven DELCO generator with the gear housing that attaches on the back. What modifications do I need in using a mechanical tach with a 2 to 1 ratio.

6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

7. nonipshere

nonipshere

I've compared the pulleys. Both crank and fan blade pulleys on the small block are slightly larger in diameter. Wouldn't both pulleys on the nailhead have to be changed?

8. Nailhead pulleys are very specific to that engine with limited sizes available. Better to look at the generator pulley size to get the rpm needed.

9. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

the gen and tach would only be affected by the pulley on the crankshaft