Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods anyone know whats up with this engine???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2FORCEFULL, Mar 28, 2024.

1. 2FORCEFULL

2FORCEFULL

looking to do a GOW job and ran across this engine...1926???? whats up with the dist.??? one year only,... ???? puzzled...

[​IMG]

2. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Aftermarket setup. Even back when Model Ts were new, there were aftermarket conversions to install a conventional distributor on them. Atwater Kent was one of the more popular ones.

2FORCEFULL and winduptoy like this.
  3. 2FORCEFULL

2FORCEFULL

whats weird is I only see this on 1926's.... and all I remember is the spark bow batters ,or what ever they are called...

[​IMG]

4. 2FORCEFULL

2FORCEFULL

[​IMG]

so it's the same motor, just a cam drive dist.???

5. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Yes. The original timer that mounted on the front of the block is replaced with a housing that holds the distributor.

winduptoy and 2FORCEFULL like this.
  6. We had a T with a VW dizzy

7. 2FORCEFULL

2FORCEFULL

so how does the advance work???

8. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Like the advance in any distributor works. The ones pictured here look to be all centrifugal.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2024
  9. dwollam

dwollam

My '27 T Roadster has a VW distributor, 6.0-1 high compression aluminum Z head, Model B exhaust mainfold and carb, 6 volt alternator like that first pic, modified Model A throttle pedal assembly, Rocky Mountain 3 speed auxilary transmission and a 4.0-1 Ruckstell rear end with 2 shifters and AC rear brakes. Is a Model T even drivable all stock? :)

Dave

VW distributors turn backwards so the auto advance gets blocked and the stock hand mechanical advance gets hooked up using a bellcrank on the left front of the engine.

Model T and Model A generators hate me so all mine have alternators. 6 volt on T and 12 volt on the Model A's. All my Flathead V8's have stock gens and they always work just fine. Go figure.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2024
    rusty valley likes this.
  10. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

FYI;
    A lot of the ACVW distributors retard timing 3* for the #3 cyl(that cyl runs hot due to the oil cooler placement. At least the early ones.). There is at least 1 aftermarket that does not retard the #3 cyl 3*, found out about that one in a HAMB banger thread. May not make any difference for you or your mill, idk.
    IIRC, a pinto dist is close in size, maybe even a vega, & would be a better choice. Unless you have properly ground cam lobes for the acvw - or can get them reground correctly.
    Marcus...

11. dwollam

dwollam

Mine was a new distributor and kit from a Model T vendor.

Dave

12. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I don't get why a kit especially made for the car would include a distributor that advances in the wrong direction.

13. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In response to your thread title, I know what's up with this engine... It's missing 4 cylinder's. :D

alanp561 likes this.
  14. dwollam

dwollam

It doesn't advance at all execept manually. The auto advance comes with a small little strip of steel with 2 holes that keeps the advance from moving, which if gone would retard instead of advancing. Simple fix, works well. Retarding the timing on a T makes hand starting easier and also is great for going down steep hills to slow the engine down and hold ya back with compression.

Stock T's have 4 coils and an ignition timer which in my opinion is for the purists. Too much trouble for me.

Here's today's pic of my '27 engine

Dave

20240328_161110.jpg