Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Just purchase a 49 Ford Custom and need Vin/Serial Number advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimMartley, Mar 26, 2024.

1. JimMartley

JimMartley

DC71097E-8CC9-4D79-8DCD-F0BF32D1AE5D.jpeg 1E3D9E07-EA2B-4468-AEFA-334BA8B2475B.jpeg As stated in the title, I am the new owner of a 1949 Ford Custon 2 Door Sedan. The “VIN/Serial Number” that is listed on the “Transferable NY Registration” I got with the sale does not match ANYTHING I can find on the vehicle. The number is “6MP29D101”. I this POSSIBLY the “Original Engine number”. I searched this forum and read that in the “early days” at Ford they used the engine number as a form of identification for the car, is that what I am dealing with? The original engine is long gone and has been replaced with a modern engine. Thank you in advance for ANY help with this…..

Last edited: Mar 26, 2024
  2. 1949 Ford cars had the VIN stamped on the frame just behind the radiator support on the right side, and on a metal tag riveted to the car beside the left hood hinge. The numbers had a star stamped before and after the numbers/letters. If that number does not match the registration, a big red flag.
    IIRC, New York issued a "transferrable registration" each year for a vehicle. They were a card stock paper about the size of post card. Before the internet, there were parties advertising "titles" for sale in a lot of the car magazines. A lot of times the same VIN being sold multiple times using these cards. I know Virginia stopped accepting these in the 90s.

3. snoc653

snoc653
    from Iowa

If you are feeling brave or just have that over powering sense of doing what is right, find one of the tags mentioned that should be on the car. Take those numbers to a cop you know and trust and have them run them. If the car was sold with a fake title, there may be someone who is looking for their car. Of course if the number that is actually on the car comes back clean, you could always get a title for car with the real VIN.

4. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

Good luck getting everything straight.
    I just wanted to tell you I really like your car! Great looking ride

hfh likes this.

5. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

The problem with this at least in Minnesota they a national database the cross reference vin/serial numbers. I had a car that was registered in ten different states, according to the database. I little research found it was the style number and got the title fixed. So if someone is using the same vin you could be in trouble with a doctored up vin.

6. But you have a legitimate title, right?

7. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. BJR

BJR

But a title to what car? The title he has has nothing that connects it to his car. Don't 50's Fords have the serial number stamped near the top on the firewall?

vtx1800 and '49 Ford Coupe like this.
  9. poco

poco
    from oklahoma

Yes the 50 # is stamped in fire wall off center to passengers side.

10. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IIRC, the '51's are the only shoeboxes that have the serial # stamped on the diagonal member on the right side in front of the radiator.

11. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

@JimMartley I'm no expert in early Ford VIN speak but I would decipher yours like this;
    6MP2-Ford 2 door sedan
    9-1949
    D- Detroit or Dearborn
    101-101st vehicle down the line.
    Good luck and hope to see you around this summer

JimMartley likes this.
  12. SS327

SS327

Oh boy, this ain’t going to end well.

13. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I do now because the car had the vin number on the frame, so the state issued a corrected title. Who knows how long it had the wrong number on the title.

SS327 likes this.
  14. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I mentioned my car just to say do it right and not to try and pull a fast one on the state. To the o/p you to go back to the seller.

SS327 likes this.
  15. tim troutman

tim troutman

sand the firewall were the vin should be stamped .you have a 49 ford and 49 ford paper work good chance the numbers are there & correct probably just full of bondo or paint

16. JimMartley

JimMartley

17. JimMartley

JimMartley

Thank you one and all for your help and guidance!! I finally DID find the numbers on the car that jived with the numbers on the registration and the wonderful people at the Town Hall that take care of our Motor Vehicle paperwork had me in and done in the space of 15 minutes today with MINIMAL hassle. The car is NOW legally owned by me and all set to be unleashed onto the roads of NH and beyond!!!

borntoloze, Paul B, RMR&C and 12 others like this.
  18. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice looking custom....weather is breaking...have fun....

JimMartley likes this.
  19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool beans, knowing where to look and what you are looking for is half the battle. Nice to see that you have good folks at the local do your title and license spot too.

JimMartley likes this.
  20. That brings up another question...who actually has/owns the vehicle that is indicated on the document that you have?

21. SS327

SS327

He does! Re read his post.

'49 Ford Coupe and Black Panther like this.
  22. I wasn't drunk, I'm just getting old.

SS327 likes this.
  23. BJR

BJR

I'd rather be drunk. :D

bill gruendeman and SS327 like this.
  24. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

You have a nice looking car there! Hope to see it around New England someday