Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1966 c10 v8 swap issues.

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Bayou hunter, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Bayou hunter

Bayou hunter

image.jpeg image.jpeg Hey y'all thanks for letting me join because I sure do have some questions. I am working on my wife's 65 c10 and keep ending up throwing tools and scratching my head. It has a 250 straight six and a three speed manual right now. I have a good 350 that she wants in it but is dead set on keeping the three speed. I have pulled the 350 and don't see the two bolt holes where the clutch bell crank/z bar bolts on. The belt housing looks the same so it should bolt up but will the 350 flywheel bolt right to the three speed and what do u do about the bell crank? Is there something I missing? I spent all day freshning up the 350 so I hope it will bolt right on. Please give me some guidance because I am about out of steam.
    Thanks
    Bayou

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  2. oldolds

oldolds

It should basically bolt in. You need a V-8 flywheel that fits the bell housing and starter. The 6 cyl may only have a 9 inch clutch disc, you would want at least a 10 inch clutch with a V-8. You may have to make a bracket to support the bell crank. You might have to shorten the bell crank for the V-8. You will also need V-8 engine mounts. Last time I did this was 30 years ago, You could get all the parts at any junk yard then.

jeffd1988 likes this.
  3. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The 250 flywheel will work and there should be a hole in the block near the bellhousing for the clutch ball to screw in if its a older 350,take the mount spacers or what ever thewy are called off the mounts and it will bolt in. I done this on a 67 30 years ago.

4. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

From what I recall, you will need a ball for a V8. It screws into a hole on the side of the block. The bracket from the I6 is not used.

Later blocks (don't remember what year) eliminated the hole. If the block does not have the boss for the ball to screw into, you may need to make a bracket to hold one.

5. squirrel

squirrel

remove that oil pressure sending unit, put a pipe thread plug in the hole it was in. The 1/2" tapped hole for the clutch pivot ball is just above the oil fitting, you can see it in your picture.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/oer-3866568

Tickety Boo likes this.
  6. Its a bolt in. You use the same rubber front engine mounts. You don't use the 6cyl clutch pivot. You use a factory ball that screws into a hole in the block. If you don't have one weld and grind on the head of a bolt and make one. The six flywheel clutch and starter will work. The six radiator if its the small version will not cool a v8 engine.

7. Bayou hunter

Bayou hunter

Thanks. I found the the ball that screws in at lmc and I am heading to an old junkyard this weekend. Hopefully they will have anything else I need.

8. Bayou hunter

Bayou hunter

With y'alls help its kinda clear to me what needs to happen. Thanks

9. Bayou hunter

Bayou hunter

10. Bayou hunter

Bayou hunter

Thanks. I found the ball at lmc truck but might make one until I can get it. I found an old junkyard here by the house that I will be hitting this weekend. Thanks for the help.

11. You hit the wrong key. You meant your truck was a 65' right?

Bayou hunter and squirrel like this.
  12. squirrel

squirrel

might even be a 64, just to be sure it's old enough to talk about here

Bayou hunter likes this.
  13. '64.. '65.. '66... they're like sisters. Turn them upside down and they all look the same....

14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I don't care who you are, that's funny right there!

By my understanding of the HAMB guidelines, in cases such as the 60-66 truck with the 66 being the last of the series and being nearly identical to the prior year models, the 65 and earlier rule is waived. Hell, I've been known to refer to my 66 Suburban as a 65 just to see who's paying attention.

15. 327Eric

327Eric

The only difference between 64, 65, and 66 I've encountered was the emblems and their placement, and back up lights, and the 327 in 1966. Man I miss my 66.

16. LOLI used to run my '65 C-10 at the HAMB drags ( '64 cutoff date), the last pass I made I had entered it as a '64 to try and keep the drama to a minimum for the boss. When I staged the announcer read the card as a '64 and said, "All these years I thought it was a '65." :D

We used to have a kind of an unwritten rule, if the body looks the same from one year to the next the next year is OK. Here is an example:
    one of these Lincolns is a '64
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now back to the Chebby. The clutch plate will need to match the transmission input shaft. You will have to install a pilot bearing in the end of the crankshaft if it doesn't have one. The Z bar goes on a ball in the side of the block. You pickup the oil pressure near the distributer and it is a mechanical gauge not electric. it takes a 1/8" farrule fitting.

The 3 speed a sag may not hold up to the V8, but run it if it doesn't hold up get another one.

Bayou hunter likes this.
  17. Yes the fender badge on a 65 is mounted on the cowl. all three years used different badges. The 64 with the SM 420 granny 4 speed had a floor mounted emergncy brake that worked a band at the back of the transmission. the 65 and 66 had the cable to the rear brakes. The vin is placed in different locations . the 66 is above the door . not a nickles worth of difference.

18. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Since I done that swap around 35 years ago my memory might be a little fuzzy but I think I had to cut some off the clutch Z bar on the motor side to get it to go on.

Bayou hunter likes this.
  19. Bayou hunter

Bayou hunter

It's a 65

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  20. squirrel

squirrel

right over his head :)

21. That truck likely has the Muncie 318 peanut trans with the four bolt side cover. Unless he gets really rough with it a 307 aint gonna hurt it any worse than a six would.

22. Bayou hunter

Bayou hunter

Thank you

23. Bayou hunter

Bayou hunter

I just realized . Too little sleep

24. BJR

BJR

The bottom lincoln is the 64.

25. Bayou hunter

Bayou hunter

I just checked and sure enough it is a 65. Thanks for helping me out. I probably looked like a fool telling my buddies it's a 66 lol.

26. Bayou hunter

Bayou hunter

Yep I checked and it's a 65.

27. Actually the '66 had different fender well openings on the bed. From my experience the only way to tell any difference from about '63 on was to park them next to each other hoping that all were original and then get everyone to show titles.

My favorite C-10 that I owned of all that have slipped through my hands was the Johnny Cash C-10. We built it from a '62, '64 and a '66. 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton and a 1 ton transmission. I drove it to a C-10 gathering and they asked me to leave. LOL

I was not aware for whatever reason that they used a Muncie by the way. I always just assumed that they used a sag.

28. jchav62

jchav62

The 64s, 65s and 66s were the triplets. 63s had the dog legs and wraparound windshields. They were easy to ID.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  29. Yep three speeds where Muncie 318,s and granny four speeds where Muncie SM420,s. I have at least 50 of the 60 thru 66 trucks. I have built a few of those hodge podge trucks. My dad bought a new 64 and ive liked them ever since. However I am beginning to like the 67 thru 72 a lot. they have more options stuff like disk brakes, a good heater and air conditioning factory big blocks ect. Ive got a 71 3/4 ton big block truck with all the options. It was a 402 now its a 454.

30. I got a buddy that between use we have about half a dozen C10s. I can usually scab one together if I want. LOL

I think that my love affair with them happened in about '70 when the wife and I happened onto a '63 sans motor. To us it was late model and we had a mildly hopped up 283 and a 4 speed. The truck had been spiffed up a little by a local Mexican so it looked like we liked more or less. I have owned that same truck several times since then. :D

the '67-'72 trucks are nice. They make real nice rodded trucks. ;)