Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Petronix ignition problems

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Drivinford, Aug 8, 2016.

1. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Your kinda correct, However the part everyone forgets is that the engine ignition will only used what it needs!!! So lets say we have a 50,000 volt coil driven with a low ohm resistance and electronic module .Two issues will limit the spark 1=the amount of time it has to build up and fire the coil 2= Or in some cases a current limit in the module etc.
    A standard compression ratio and balanced fuel system will need lets say a max of 8,000 volts SO thats what it takes to ignite the air fuel mixture. Engine load and compression will add to this number as well as actual wear at the plugs and the system itself. However it may never even get close to needing the 50,000 coil advertized voltages.
    The start to all engines is to provide the amount of ignition needed, then and only then, step up any system parts required once you have proven that the need is there. Most the time we buy these ignition systems of the cover of a hot rod magazine and waste some serious dollars thinking the need is actually there.

Anytime the current is increased the parts heat up and part life is shortened....just some more thoughts.....

2. FityFive

FityFive

That's the story of my life!

3. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Leaner fuel mixtures take more voltage to fire, how does the coil know that? Or is it just a matter of more advance needed?

4. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I read a lot about bad results with all versions of Petronix.. I think I'll keep using the cheapie brands I buy on-line that keep trolling along... I'm sure I'm doing something wrong...

5. upspirate

upspirate

Never had a problem with Pertronics , BUT I use the coil they recommend , and the plug wires they sell to match

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  6. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Ditto ^^^^^ Only problem I ever had was a bad coil right out of the box, exchanged it and has been running ever since.

7. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Actually its all about conductivity across the plug gap. A rich air fuel mixture has excess hydracarbon in the mix allowing a easy path to jump the plug gap. Requirement is lower based on need. A lean air ful has less hydracarbons and requires more energy to jump the gap.
    Same is true with higher compresssion etc. Higher needs more energy.
    There are quite a few "ion gap" ignition systems over the years that measure the air fuel mixture based on cylinder mixture across the plug. If it needs more based on a lean air fuel the computer sees this thru a reverse spark across the plug gap during compression firing and adjusts the air fuel as needed. These vehicles wouldnt need a O2 sensor in the exhaust . Ex: Saturn, Volvo and fuel injected Harleys...

More info:
    http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/ionization-current-sensing-ignition-susbystem.pdf

Truck64 likes this.