Register now to get rid of these ads!

57 Chevy, Dude! build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chevy57dude, Mar 13, 2013.

1. sweetinsanity

sweetinsanity

its at oakside park.... just outside of biglerville. $15.00 to get in with a car.... should get you and one guest in. it used to be the kkoa (kustom kemps of america) lead sleads. now its the (fun run). if its customized, hot rodded, restored.... dont matter. you can put it in the show. they had a nice turn out last year. they have a small swap meet, usually a guy pin striping, food, and a few vendor stands....and a band in the evening.

2. Good info, gonna try to get out there!
    The window stuff is yours when you come get it. A little less stuff around here 'aint gonna be missed!

3. Update on the car - The license plate came in the mail today. Buwahaha!
    Tomorrow there will be a road test. Installing the seat belts and checking every bolt I can touch in the morning. Photos soon!

enloe likes this.
  4. sweetinsanity

sweetinsanity

i wanna ride! still up in the air about the car show..... gasser are at Beaver Sring Drag Strip this weekend! i'll try to stop down here in the next 2 weeks. i know what you mean about getting rid of stuff. as soon as Bryce's step side is done.... crap is gone!!!!!

5. Philroy

Philroy

Hey Steve what's up!?!?!?! We want pictures!!!!

6. It's been almost a year and a half since I posted on my thread here. Life can and does happen. The engine swallowed a valve and yacked #1 piston out of the block. It was like a family member died.
    I was hurt in an accident and couldn't walk for a while, very fortunate it wasn't worse. Tough winter, spring comes and now an operation! That's all the complaining I'm going to do. The blessings in my life are many. The car just had to wait. Over the winter, I was able to get back into it. Wiring, lights, gauges, horns. Sold a lot of parts & the purge continues. Salvaged the forged crank and seven pistons with rods. Built the new engine better than the previous one. Aluminum heads & roller cam. IMG_20150605_133044812_HDR.jpg Been working on it like a maniac for two months now. Finally running again.

7. Today, the Queen, aka Chevy57dudette and I took the car out for an actual ride to get gas. Feels pretty damn good to drive my car after so long. Here's a pic of the car doing something other than languishing in the shop. JPEG_20161105_171028_-542144175.jpg

8. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Always liked the look of your 57. The wheel wells, the white paint, the 210 trim, the rims, even the side pipes. Glad you're back on the road.

chevy57dude likes this.
  9. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

That looks real nice ,I'll be glad when I get that far.

chevy57dude likes this.
  10. Thanks very much, guys.
    Honestly, sidepipes aren't usually my thing. But with the fenderwell headers exiting as they do, it worked with the cutout plates. Nothing is hanging under the car this way. Also, I made them from 3 1/2 pipe, same size as the header collectors. So I'm hoping they flow.
    JoeCool - You'll get there!

11. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

Those side pipes give it a cool '70s vibe. The Queen looks happy too.

lothiandon1940 and chevy57dude like this.
  12. Just getting through the winter here. Put it on the scissor lift at the end of the season, glad it's running and called it a success. No flat spots on the tires this way. Picking at it when possible. Got some new headlight rings. Not overjoyed with the overall fit. Stressed out installing them. Rubber gaskets tough to keep on, 3M black snot to the rescue! It's very likely my expectations are unrealistic. Brand new fenders, brand new headlight rings, 60 year old bucket assemblies. They fit fair and shine like the new parts they are.
    Next on the list is to drain the break in oil, open the filter to be sure. Wix filter and VR-1 to start it up again. Machinist says to adjust valves on the Erson solid rollers sooner than later. so that's next.
    JPEG_20170205_074901_-2042444220.jpg

13. When the weather breaks, the shocks need to be mounted (ideas welcome) and I'm going to drop the entire 'axle / spring assembly out to be painted.

lothiandon1940 and mad mikey like this.
  14. Love your 57! The car has a great look, not many around us here in central Pa. that are like yours. Same with my coupe. We should try and get together this summer, I would love to see and HEAR that wicked 57 in person. Congrats on a great job with your car.:cool::D:D Mike.

15. belair

belair

Press on, brother. Looks great.

chevy57dude likes this.
  16. Thanks for the kind words! Mikey, this is road time year for me. The car is 60, time to drive it. We'll certainly cross paths at the Showdown.
    Steve

17. 70 degrees in February. Unreal! Nagging intake manifold coolant leak, pulled it apart to fix it. Adjusted the valves while apart. Here's a glamour shot of expensive roller stuff. JPEG_20170219_173437_1628605072.jpg

swade41, Philroy, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  18. Winter is almost over, finally. A couple weeks ago, the Howard County MD swap meet was pretty good to me. Scored a pair of lowback seats, and another pair of baffle inserts for my headers. When I built the sidepipes, Car Chemistry 3 disc baffles went in each side. They are still loud, like you better wear earplugs outside the car. Well, today the 2nd set went in the collectors. This made a big difference. JPEG_20170319_134650_1059781523.jpg Shown is a pic of a baffle, and what it looks like in the header.

lothiandon1940 and henryj1951 like this.
  19. The seats. With the Highbacks gone, I can show what the interior in progress looks like. JPEG_20170319_175402_-781914737.jpg

Just Gary, Philroy, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  20. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

chevy57dude likes this.
  21. They came from a swap meet, EMPI is the company. Googled up lowback dune buggy seat and found something really close. There's a back seat available also, with a diamond pattern cover. That's what I want. The bucket seat covers I've seen so far all have the square pattern, so maybe I'll get new ones and get an upholsterer to modify the fronts.
    All that's on hold. There's a 6-71 in my near future. Every treasure and WWII relic (another habit) around here is going up for sale. The tunnel ram on the blower ready engine is coming off and the real deal will happen this season I hope!

22. chevy57dude likes this.
  23. Chucky - thank you! Yes, I''ve seen the covers they sell. However, there aren't trimmed openings for the harness belts to pass thru the seat openings like the square patttern covers. So either way, something would have to get stitched up. Kinda thinking buy new back and front covers, get the inserts replaced with blue 'flake diamond pattern pieces. So far I haven't searched too hard for them.

24. IMG_20171005_085833327.jpg IMG_20171005_085930714.jpg
    The cheapest way I could do it. Door panel board kit from Danchuk. Heavy black vinyl fabric, the cheap stuff looked cheesy. Fiber board panels in the back seat area. Spray adhesive and stretching the fabric. Sunshine helped. One day I'll spend the bucks and get the armrests and stainless trim

25. IMG_20171013_080800469.jpg
    Hooked up and ready to go! This was Friday morning. Flat towed the ,20 miles to the Jalopyrama. IMG_20171013_115308949.jpg
    Good friend Skip, Dusty489 one HAMB stopped working on his model A pickup to ride shotgun on the cruise.

swade41, Philroy, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  26. A good time was had by all! IMG_20171014_080952706.jpg IMG_20171014_163727295_HDR.jpg
    Mr Greenberg got some pix in the sunshine when the arena let out. His work is art.

27. When the called my name for a trophy, I couldn't even grasp it. First time at any show. My deepest appreciation to the people who picked my car. Best day I've had in a very long time. IMG_20171014_160751824_HDR.jpg

Squablow, Philroy, loudbang and 15 others like this.
  28. The car looks outstanding. Now that is what a 57 chevy should be!:D:D

chevy57dude likes this.
  29. Congrats on the win. WELL DONE!:)

30. Thank you very much Mikey! I kept looking for your blown A at this weekend. Well catch up at the Showdown this spring,im sure.

mad mikey and enloe like this.