Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. its a illusion. the grille shell is moved forward to make room for the moon tank; mag and fuel pump. i was using 2x4s and all kinds of things to mock this up today so i couldn't place everything exactly where i wanted it. the rear wheels were moved back two inches. when i first built the car i ran 28 inch tall radirs. a few years later radir offered 32 inch tall tires. the extra circumference would some times rub the body in the front. i had purposely moved the wheels forward basically altering the wheelbase. now we moved the rear end back to the center. the engine was moved forward. i had the distributer cap right up to the firewall. now i have room for a pro mag if i want to use one in the stock location. the car originally had a 115 inch wheelbase. we have not finalized what we want yet. we looked at it from several angles with the grille moved around. we think we can get it all proportioned right. it might just be the pic i posted. i took about twenty through out the morning.

els and loudbang like this.
  2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Man, that new chassis looks great. Gary

els and racer-x like this.
  3. Heres a pic with the grille forward and one 20160213_092924.jpg 20160213_093948.jpg placed more toward the rear. look at how its placed on the 2x4.

els, bd180 and loudbang like this.
  4. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

Really like the grill farther back sitting over the tank. The entire project is really coming out beautiful. keep it going.

els, loudbang, volvobrynk and 2 others like this.
  5. i like it further back also. the front axle can go back some more. i don't want to go less than 110 inches on the wheelbase. todays work while fun had a real serious tone to it. we all saw different things from different angles. decisions made today are going to impact how this whole car turns out. we had to do this work before we could go any further. we are trying our best to not make a mistake that might come back to bite us down the road.

6. This pic doesnt have the exitement of a burnout or wheelie but for the shop its valuable. These boring side shots allow us to see how things were and compare them to how they are now. Theres several 8x10 photos and magazine features around the car at all times. Eveything from the angle of the engine to the position of the grille is looked at. Then how does the grille line up with the axle etc. The pics do help. The photographer is the famous bob mclure.
    20150803_093653.jpg

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
    els, kidcampbell71, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  7. Another vote for the grill back over the tank. Will that screw you on any needed space up front?

8. The tank needs to be raised alot. The outlet on the tank needs to be higher than the inlet on the pump. The pump needs to be forward of the blower belt due to the fuel lines. With the lower pulley on the crank we know where we need to be. I could only mock up so much with what i had. It was a real balancing act. I didnt want the tank to fall and get dented. Im sure this was the first of many mock ups. I will go over and over all of my pics. Notes will made for the next time. For now everything is taken apart. The bottom of the axle needs to be machined to fit the bat wings. 20160213_094814.jpg

9. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

Another thing with the grill over the tank and the tank raised, will you have easy access to the top of the tank to fill it?
    I really like the low center of gravity that the drivetrain is going to give you. I know what you mean by thinking the process through. I have added years on my build because what looks good initially later becomes a problem in another part of the build. I have learned the hard way, but your project looks to be in good hands. A perfect example of something great coming out of something bad.( the crash to now)

els, racer-x, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Racer
    You obviously have a great working relationship with this shop/owner, kinda rare in this day and age. Not a lot of places anymore that allow so much hands-on customer involvement. Being able to do the standback and eyeball routine at various stages makes a big difference not only in the finished product (visually) but in the way a car can be adjusted for different environments, such as yours, being a dual purpose car.
    How about some more shots of those sexy American "bear paws".

els, loudbang and racer-x like this.
  11. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

image.png Love those new American racing wheel's, with a Bullet dust cap,
    I am look for a pair of Hand Me Down off a Fuel Funny

els likes this.
  12. Thanks everyone for the compliments. I think with the tank moved up some we shouldnt have a problem filling it. The first time i built the car i learned early on to take some time to plan ahead. I messed up alot by going too fast. Jim and i have been friends for almost 20 years. He lets me do alot of things in the shop. I respect his place and never leave a mess. I also dont touch his stuff or a customers stuff. He is a laid back kind of guy. He is a serious chassis builder who appeciates a serious customer. He told me saturday after fifty years years of building chassis he has not had a customer get seriously injured in a wreck. Thats reasuring. We work together. Thats not to saw we have not had lets say spirited discussions at times. We always find common ground in the end. I think he likes the challenge of this build. Its really letting him show his tallents. He said he has done so many cameros and chevelles they can be done in his sleep.

els, loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  13. 19eddy30 those americans are not the new ones. Those are the real deal old magnesium wheels off the hawiian funny car. They are just pollished so they look new.

els, Stogy, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  14. One option for the beltline, how about painting it with the same base green with rest of the body, but then going heavy with the flake only on the beltline. It'll look darker and pop out but not as much or obviuous as when done with separate colour. Looking that side pic made me think two tone beltline and gold lettering might be too busy in such a small area.

els, loudbang and volvobrynk like this.
  15. U putting anything on the wheels to keep the Polish on the them? I polished my fronts a few years ago and if u don't keep polishing them they will be dull and nasty in no time and don't even think about washing them with water if they are bare u can't dry them fast enough before they are dull.

els likes this.
  16. Yes i do. I pollish then use busches sealer. The busches needs to be slopped on dont be shy using it. Let it sit until it dries. It will come off real easy. You are correct on the water causing corrosion. Even the moisture in the air can mess them up on a humid day. The busches seals the wheel from moisture. Its not a cure all but far better than nothing. A fyi dont leave the bottle outside to freeze. If you do the product is ruined. Since i had the wheels pollished i have had to do the fronts once the rears were still good. That cammer ford is looking bad ass by the way. Hows the dyno session going?

17. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

They Look So nice ,I just Assumed they where modern ones ,
    I know about that Polishing, Before Internet (25yrs ago)
    I had a polished Magnesium Blower , it would dull in 2-3 Days ,

els likes this.
  18. I'll have to get some of that and give it a try. I got caught in a rain storm in my coupe a few years ago and never polished the wheels back up after that. Thanks the cammer is up getting machined and assembled now it won't be done til the first of april or so. When I pick it up I am taking it to the dyno the same day I'll post numbers when we get it done. Lance Line at Line performance is gonna dyno it and tune it.

19. cool and good luck. i will be watching for how it went. as soon as we are done with the front end i will get my engine home for assembly. my plan is to have the whole drive train ready to drop in as soon as the chassis is done. it would be cool to drop the body over everything in place.

els likes this.
  20. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Where do you find the Busches sealer? Thanks, Gary

els likes this.
  21. I get it at my local parts store. 20160214_194559.jpg

22. This is the enderle dual drive i was talking about. It showed up today. The mag goes on the left the pump on the right. Both need to be set up with a reverse rotation. The drive bolts to the front cover with a pump extension. 20160216_193727.jpg 20160216_193742.jpg

els, mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  23. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

I have a few RCD set up's
    If you will be running a Mecanical Injection & EFI ,
    How is the ignition Going to work , between Mecanical side of Nitro &
    EFI side on Gas ,
    How much abuse will mechanical pump take on the street buy putting miles and miles and on it for street use but not being used ,

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
    els likes this.
  24. Im running the hilborn upright small butterfly efi casting. I has four injection dynamics nozzles run by the fast xfi-2. The efi side has its own disributor its own gas tank and regulator. A toggle switch turns on the efi and weldon fuel pump. The nitro side had its own tank mounted up front. The fuel pump is mechanical. The shut off valve is a three way. When i dont need the nitro it recirculates back to the tank. With no load on the pump it will live forever. With the tank out in the wind the fuel wont get too hot with the air passing over it. The mag is also run off the cam. Thats were the dual drive comes into play. The mag is simply grounded out when not in use. With this whole setup the only thing i need to do is switch plug wires and remove the o2 sensors. Both ignitions run timing specific to their fuel but only one runs at any given time.

25. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

image.png I was just Curious , The one pic of the engine Dizzy in the back water pump up front ,
    a nother pic , A cam driven front cover , for Mag /dizzy or fuel pump ,
    If you go with the Cam cover drive , are you going to run Mike Kuhl River Rat water pumps .My self I run a Blown Alky Altered,
    I am very interested in yr set up, In my HotRod /Drag I just built a Motor over 400 cid that Requires 100 octane @ $5-10 a gallon and is NOT tuned for KILL , and I drive about 300 miles a week ,
    I should have thought ahead that 100 Oct. IS NOT $2.00 a gallon No more ,
    And built a 427-434 SBC with a bout 9-1 or 9-5-1 , ,
    E85 , !! You Miles's as well run Alk ,

els likes this.
  26. I have a meisner elect water pump that mounts next to the radiator in the trunk. no need for a mechanical drive. there is no conventional water pump on the block. with only 7.8 compression I can cruise around on 89 octane. I wont race on it but I can ride around on it.

els, mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  27. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

A Real Head scratcher !!!
    How about Dual plug Heads ,

els likes this.
  28. they don't make any for a early hemi.

29. Everything came apart today. The frame was flipped so all the welding could be finished. The trailer hitch was all welded up. The axle went back into the mill to get machined for the bat wings. I took the engine and mid plate along with the front cover to mike the polisher. The block is now back home and ready to go together. things are really moving now. 20160222_164533.jpg 20160222_164523.jpg 20160222_164555.jpg 20160222_172446.jpg

els, kidcampbell71, Woogeroo and 3 others like this.
  30. Looks fantastic!

els and racer-x like this.