Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Trivia: Id this bumper

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldstuffguy, Feb 11, 2016.

1. oldstuffguy

oldstuffguy

IMG_1072.JPG Didn't know what prefix to use. Figured the bumper was historical so what the hell.

Anyway, guy I got it from thought 49 chevy car but the v shape in middle of bumper and grill guard doesn't seem right for that....old timers? gurus? lets hear your thoughts IMG_1071.JPG View attachment 3133483

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  2. Pure guess work here: '39--'40 Olds?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

not 40, but those guards look real familiar.

4. Eh!Bob

Eh!Bob

only a guess but maybe 50's chev truck?

5. Looks like 1939 Olds is correct.... 1939 Oldsmobile 6.jpg

6. Wow!! I should by a lottery ticket.

7. oldstuffguy

oldstuffguy

Man that is dang close but looks like the ends of bumper wrap further on the olds....and I just pulled a closer pic of 39 olds bumper and it doesnt have v shape in middle

...and not chevy truck eh!bob....I have a bunch of those.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
    Hnstray likes this.
  8. I think it is for a 1939 Olds model L80. That was the top of the line series. That model had an emblem in the center of the bumper. That is probably the reason for the hole in the center of the bumper.

9. oldstuffguy

oldstuffguy

Man Fritz, Timwhit, 31Dodger, that is so close but I'm not so sure. Watch this video that has multiple views of the bumper at the beginning and around halfway through. Does not seem to have the noticeable V shape in the center.
    My eyes are not the greatest anymore so second opinion on video would be great.

10. squirrel

squirrel

The (outer) bumper guards are the wrong shape to be 39 Olds.The outer guards are standard equipment, the inner guards are add ons (notice the clamps in the OP photo of the back side of the bumper).

[​IMG]

11. oldstuffguy

oldstuffguy

Think I found it! You guys were on the money on year...1939 Buick has the V shape! 39 buick.jpg

12. oldstuffguy

oldstuffguy

Think I found it! You guys were on the money on year...1939 Buick has the V shape! And outer guards are the right shape.
    39 buick.jpg

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  13. alchemy

alchemy

Your bumper doesn't have the rib on the upper edge like that Buick does. I originally thought '41 Studebaker, but they don't have as rounded of ends as yours does either. So, I can only tell you a couple cars it doesn't fit.

14. buford_59

buford_59

Just went outside to look at my '39 Buick to make sure. The one pictured has a rib/line in it. So does mine. Of course it has the "V" shape to it. The bumper guards are the same. My grille guard has three bars but same spacing widthwise. Thought it might be a Canadian thing but not. Sorry, no other guesses. By the way, it's -25C here right now. Don't know the F equivalent but either way it's freakin' cold out.
    Hope you figure it out.
    DoUg

15. oldstuffguy

oldstuffguy

1940 buick bumper.jpg 1940 Buick, no rib line. Buford, freakin' cold WOULD BE the F equivalent lol 1940.jpg

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016