Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Banger block in the works.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 58custom, Aug 11, 2011.

1. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

First sample casting is poured and on its way to heat treat! I did aluminum first since I could get it poured quicker. Looks good.

Tod

2. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

The aluminum "Winfield" head is in the machine awaiting machining. I am writing a program specific for these heads. the iron versions should be cast soon also. The tooling is at the foundry and they are molding for the 3 cores I got for samples. I have several engine block molds at the aluminum foundry so hopefully a lot will get done in the next few weeks.

Tod

Outback, kidcampbell71 and Tiny like this.
  3. -Brent-

-Brent-

@427designer - thanks for taking this on. It's been really neat following along.

One quick question, I'm not sure it's been mentioned, what's the weight difference for the aluminum vs. the stocker?

4. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

Are you asking about the blocks or the heads?

Tod

5. -Brent-

-Brent-

6. I so can't wait for the "centerfold" shots. These are going to be gorgeous. Frekn' wow !!!

volvobrynk and Outback like this.
  7. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

Aluminum is about 36 percent of the weight of iron. The original iron blocks I have weigh around 100 lbs. That would put aluminum at around 36 lbs, IF the tooling was exactly the same. But, my tooling design includes increased thicknesses to allow for increased strength and for the same casting to be machined for either a stock A style block or the stock B style block. The increases may put another 5-7 lbs of aluminum in the casting. My iron would be another 15-20 lbs heavier than the original Ford blocks. Don Snyder took my first semi-machined sample to Hershey last year and when he picked it up he said it is noticeably heavier (I was aware because I made it!). I had not actually weighed them for comparison at that point. All the machining was not finished so I didn't worry about it at the time. Plus, I was going to make the tooling alterations to get to where it is now, which is slightly heavier yet. I would put my iron around 130 and my aluminum at between 45 and 50 lbs, considering that ductile sleeves would need to be included in the aluminum. Plus there are valve seats to add to aluminum that some may not find necessary in new iron blocks.

If I can address any other points of interest, let me know.

Tod

8. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

Have you not seen the Youtube videos of the first casting and machined block?

Tod

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

I'm also working on several other heads for Model A's and a couple of other flat heads. Low volume stuff like 21 stud heads and the little niche market V8 60 stuff. I have a 6:1 aluminum version of the iron one I do for Snyder, a dual plug aluminum almost finished for Snyder, which can be made in iron also, and a couple of others that people have expressed interest in.

I have a finned aluminum B head modeled up that uses the Thomas combustion chamber and has the same spark plug location and angle as the Thomas. That's a far back-burner project though. People tell me the B heads are not worth the effort. But, they also don't know how economically I can get into new projects since I do all the work myself.

Tod

BCCHOPIT and volvobrynk like this.
  10. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

The first aluminum Winfield style head is out of the first and second OPs and ready for 3rd OP, which machines the water pump end. I did not cut piston relief in this one.

Machining looks good. All holes appear very centered. Can't wait to get iron castings in next.

Tod

Dannerr likes this.
  11. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Thanks for the update!! I am excited to see these. I may be interested in a cast head. How much would you be asking for one and how much of a deposit would I need?

12. alchemy

alchemy

13. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

I'll be selling them for 400 when I get going. I already took a few deposits for the first samples. I'd like to hold off on more deposits until everything is proved out on actually running engines.

Tod

BCCHOPIT likes this.
  14. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

I'll take some as soon as I can. Next couple of days will be hectic so it will be a few days until I get back on this.

Tod

Dannerr likes this.
  15. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Thanks for your response Tod. I will be watching.

16. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

Tomorrow one of my aluminum stock looking 6:1 heads will be run on an engine. I will be making a video of it to post on Youtube. Then, the first aluminum Winfield style head will be put on a different engine and run around for testing.

Iron Winfields are not far off.

Tod

Dannerr, ottoman, BCCHOPIT and 2 others like this.
  17. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

winfield machining 002.jpg

This is the first aluminum sample, mostly machined. This one is slated to be put on a 1929 ratrod A pickup for testing.

Tod

Dannerr, volvobrynk, BCCHOPIT and 3 others like this.
  18. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1449202611.353397.jpg
    Just saying..... The old 73b is open to any kind of testing you need..... ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1449202738.445762.jpg

19. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

I am LOVING that! I think something needs to be done to make sure one of these heads sees that track.

Tod

BCCHOPIT and Dannerr like this.
  20. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

21. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

I don't know where this one came from....
    The casting isn't real nice....

22. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

I'm making a new one. Mostly finished with the tooling now. The one you have was doubtlessly made from tooling made by an idiot. I won't mention his name, but everything he made, or makes, is junk. I quit machining them because the castings are so bad. The new one is all CAD designed, CNC cut tooling, and actually has draft on it so it doesn't ruin the molds. Also, the water pump end is to print.

Maybe we could use your car to test the first new one?

Tod

23. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1449282252.512745.jpg
    Yup this head does suck.... We will have to talk

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

I'll post pictures of the new tooling.

Tod

Dannerr likes this.
  25. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

26. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

I have several pics of the Simmons on hand. That may be another one for future production. I could make the Simmons chamber for the Winfield top. That way, all I have to make is the chamber side and water jacket core box.

Or, I could put the Simmons chamber under my stock appearing 6:1 top. I also have a dual plug aluminum almost ready that will be able to be made in iron also.

Tod

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  27. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

The new CNC cut Thomas pattern. Water jacket core plug is cut also.

Tod

Attached Files:

28. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

We poured 2 iron Winfields today. Find out tomorrow when the shake them out just how they turned out.

Tod

Outback, Dannerr, volvobrynk and 4 others like this.
  29. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

I haven't been to the foundry yet but they called and told me the heads look good. I'll be the judge of that! I'm under the weather today but I think I'll have my wife drive me there and I'll look them over and take pictures to post.

Tod

Outback, Dannerr, ebtm3 and 1 other person like this.