Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Spotlight identification

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Inked Monkey, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

This spotlight was thrown in on a deal for a steering wheel a couple weeks ago. I thought it was interesting because I hadn't seen one like this. Any idea as to what brand it is? I like the points around the bulb and the push button to turn on instead of a little switch. WP_20150924_08_00_25_Pro.jpg WP_20150924_08_00_43_Pro.jpg

2. 1949 Ford2.jpg Well, it certainly matches a 1949 Ford center grille bullet.

3. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

That's what I was thinking. Possibly a factory one?

4. Any part numbers on the underside of the bracket?

5. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

I just checked again. No numbers that I can find anywhere on the thing. The more I look at it, I think you are right. Looks like a factory one. I just need to track down a handle now.

6. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Bump, any ideas? I can't find a pic of another one like this. I got it cleaned up nice and mounted, but I need a new grip.

7. The vast majority of the vintage spotlights were manufactured by Unity but Guide & others made them also.

I agree that the actual housing sure looks as though it was designed to match the 49/50 Ford center grill bullet. HRP

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  8. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

The style of the shaft and handle resembles a Guide.

9. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Sweet, maybe I can get a different grip to fit on there since I'm striking out on finding a direct replacement.

10. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

I've gone down the rabbit hole with these things. I think I've lost my way.....

I never knew there were so many different companies making spotlights. So far I've seen BLC, Guide, Unity, Appleton, Appleton-Lorraine, Mobilite, Thomson, Casco....

Guide does seem the closest but even they are different from what I can tell. Most of theirs use a dial to turn on the light.

Only found one other picture of one like mine and it was a listing on Ebay. He didn't know what it was either.

11. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I have a few of them, they are Ford optional spotlights for the 49-51 cars , that's all I know. I'm not sure of the manufacturer though.

12. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Nice Man! Do you have a good grip that I could get off you?

13. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I'll have to look to see if I have an extra one.