Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tech Question-302 into 53 F-100 with stock 3 on tree?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gasva, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Gasva

Gasva

Hello all, I'm a newbie on the H.A.M.B. I'm trying to help my neighbor with his 1953 F-100. He has resurrected this truck from a true barn find and was able to get the original flathead running and driving. That was a few years ago and the flathead is now at the point of needing to be rebuilt. I have a 302 with manual transmission flywheel and bell housing. We would like to install the 302 and retain the original 3 on the tree, as eventually the flathead will go back into the truck. My concerns are what will it take to bolt the OE 3-speed up to the 302, and what will need to be done as far as clutch linkage? If anyone has blazed this trail before, your insight would be much appreciated. Thanks!

2. The big issue will be that the early trans isn't a direct bolt-on onto the late bellhousing. You can get 'conversion' bells, or perform mods to both the trans and the bell to mate them. But IMO it will be much easier (and probably cheaper) to simply get a '65-up Ford three-speed trans and use that instead. You can probably swap the early shift arms onto the late trans to take care of the shift linkage. Clutch linkage, somebody else will have to address that with specifics if anybody has them.

3. Basically all you really need to do is install the 302 and automatic and fabricate a linkage to bolt up to one of the two attachments emanating from the column.

You will have to play around with the new linkage to have a full range but if you use a couple of swivel female rod ends it's pretty simple and straight forward.

I did this on a 40 Ford sedan years ago and it worked flawlessly. HRP

4. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

It might bolt up or can be made to bolt up at the bell housing. Then there is the mounts. The 302 bellhousing has no provision for the eared transmission mount...53-64. The 53 transmission has no base for a mount on the rear of the transmission.
    For simplicity a later model 3 speed is the best bet as has been mentioned. Either way mounts will have to be purchased or made. The easiest and cheapest route in the long run is to simply rebuild the flathead. IMHO there is no need to spend several hundred dollars for a "temporary engine".

5. Gasva

Gasva

Many thanks to all that replied. We've decided to go with the 302/C4 combination for overall ease of installation and function. When the flathead is ready to go back in, the 302 & C4 will go into his son's 52 F-100, which has no drivetrain in it. Thanks again for all the tech info and advice!