Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 34 Roadster is home!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by flynbrian48, Aug 27, 2015.

1. CadMad

CadMad

Always had a soft spot for 34 roadsters. Good luck mate you are lucky to find one like that. I found one in the classifieds when i was 17 (1983) . Arrived at a lowset house with no lawn or trees and was told "the 34 is under the house". I crawled on hands and knees in the dirt and decided that $1000 was staying in my pocket.

flynbrian48 likes this.
  2. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Thank you, the stance of your coupe is exactly where I want this, tire exactly even with the charcterline at fender well.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  3. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1441102720.991984.jpg

And here's the car in '83 in Street Rodder.

kiwijeff, wingnutz, T-DeWitt and 3 others like this.
  4. 31pickemup

31pickemup

Very nice find! Soon I'll be building my 34 roadster as well.!

flynbrian48 likes this.
  5. congrats ! fun build coming !

6. F-head

F-head

is that henry steel
    with metal bracing replacing the wood.
    wow
    B

7. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

Loved watching your diamond t build, enjoy watching the t bird come together, and now looking forward to a build thread on this roadster. Add on your Spartans and I am amazed at how much you get done

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

flynbrian48 likes this.
  8. F-head

F-head

9. Well, I wanna see the T-bird done, but this is a worthy substitute project! Watching....

flynbrian48 likes this.
  10. I like where this project is heading - imagine some 750x16s out back of the '83 version, a couple other tweaks here and there and voila! A hot rod that will scream "drive the hell out of me till the wheels fall off" - PLEASE!

flynbrian48 likes this.
  11. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Yes, it's glass, an early Gibbons body, which for some reason is now missing the bracing behind the seat and quarter panels which held the top mounts. Why is anyones guess, but it's a minor nuisance I'll have to take care of. No wonder I couldn't fit the top on to take pictures!

12. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Thanks! I HOPE the wheels don't fall off, but I do hope to drive the hell out of it. Re: Wheels, I have a surprise in mind for those, something pretty to go with the Buick brake drums...

13. Airborne34

Airborne34
    from Texas

Nice find, if that was on the HAMB, I missed it.

flynbrian48 likes this.
  14. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

I always like that Model 40, was that feature together with a deuce with solid Halibrands on it as well?
    I seem to have had that issue hanging around for years!!!!! was it really 1983???? What has the time gone? Congrats on the buy ;).

Stovebolt and flynbrian48 like this.
  15. Roadrat

Roadrat

34' and a Diamond T???
    You're sitting on top of the world!
    Tom
    PS: Could you post some pictures of the T? Pretty please?

flynbrian48 likes this.
  16. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

We have a '59 T'bird, a '63 Riviera, a '51 Pontiac tin woody wagon too. I'd rather have driven the wagon to pick up the roadster, but my wife had it camping ;-). Thanks, here's the Diamond T, there's a build thread somewhere here about it.

Attached Files:

skatermann and wingnutz like this.
  17. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Kevin, yes. I haven't sorted through my boxes of Street Rodder, but I know I have it, and remember the feature. The car had a killer blown flat motor in it then. I do have the headers and (six) straight pipe exhaust, but that's all that's left of it's flat head days. That chassis now has a coupe body on it, but I don't have any photos. It's odd thinking a 'glass car has history, but it's 30 years ago already.

Stovebolt likes this.
  18. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

I remember that feature - it was so out of place for the era - seeing 2 hot rods when the trend was for street rods built in monocolors.

love the vibe of the 34 and the 32 in that feature.

Maintain the feel of this hot rod, and you'll have an extra-ordinary ride.

Gotta see those pipes on a flatty powered 34 some day

19. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I probably will get rid of the pipes, I'll post some photos and put 'em on the classifieds. They're pretty cool.

20. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Those headers are bitching!! Did Chris end up with them?

It sounds like you've got a great idea of what to do to the roadster. I like your parts pile!

21. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Oh. Before I forget.. What backing plates are the Buick drums being used with?

22. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I have two sets of backing plates with the package, and not knowing much about early Ford stuff, I don't know. I'll put some photos up of what I have tomorrow. One set are cleaned, blasted, and drilled for ventilation, but are bare, the other pair are complete with hardware but crusty.

23. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

How about a 354 Hemi instead of the 350 Chevy? ;-)

skatermann, kiwijeff and nitrobrother like this.
  24. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Hell freakin yeah!!!!! That's almost a stupid question, no offense. And no I'm not a "Hemi" guy, they just trump a boring old mouse motor every time, and I stand behind that offensive statement.

flynbrian48 and nitrobrother like this.
  25. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

It's maybe to good to pass up, runs good, has a NP 4 speed (creeper low), from a wrecker. I passed on a J2 because it was going to be too expensive. All I need for this is an adapter, I already have a 700 R I got for the 350, so...

Runnin shine likes this.
  26. For visual impact and coolness, the hemi wins hands down! Say No! to hood side panels! Say No! to hood side panels! Say No! to hood side panels! ;)

Runnin shine likes this.
  27. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

28. T-DeWitt

T-DeWitt

Hemi all day long....

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

29. I'd build a 34 Roadster around those pipes!

30. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

The pipes are so cool that I think I'll do a multi-outlet exhaust. The Hemi is sounding less and less desirable the more I add up what it'll cost. It's a 'glass car, it's not gennie. I don't want to break the bank, and I want it to be light and handle well, so a nose heavy brute, like the '36 was, is not what I want to end up with. I'm gonna build the 350 with a 383 stroker crank, lumpy cam, aluminum heads, run the dual quad set up I have with the Cal Custom valve covers and be happy. ;-)