Register now to get rid of these ads!

GASSER MUST HAVES and cant haves?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DirtyDave, Aug 4, 2013.

1. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

I've never been a big fan of the Firestone pie crusts, but that style is period correct...even with the weird side tread....I have used the towel city recaps and raced with them with no issues.

2. squirrel

squirrel

3. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1440555926.583217.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1440555936.453791.jpg
    This is from the May of 1965 Hot Rod

enloe likes this.
  4. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

I'll get right on it JB, LOL. Get it going so you can have some fun with us.

JB_roadrage likes this.
  5. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

I've run the hurst tires and had nothing but problems plus you could never balance them in fact I don't think they are even open anymore I've been running the towel city tires for three years and have had great success and will recommend them to anyone I've not had m&h or radir but remember they are bias not that is an issue but some people don't like that the only complaint I have Witt the towel city tires is they don't smoke during a burnout they will haze but no good smokey burnouts lol

6. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hi Dave

If you are going to make your car period perfect , then don't use the Firestone slicks since out here in

so-cal nobody used them just the M & Hs

But you gotta have the pie crust style edge to have the correct look, like my 37' using the M&H 10.00-16 top fuel tires that I bought from Tommy Ivo after 5 runs on his fueler
    Time slip was from the first day out in Sept 64' IMG (4).jpg

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
    greasemonkey54, enloe and loudbang like this.
  7. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Don is right on the m&h I wish they would make some pie crust these days

8. slammed

slammed

9. I've seen pics of the original Potvin blown Mooneyes Dragster back in the day with the Firestone "All Terrains" on it. :)

II FUNNY likes this.
  10. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

I just don't understand why M&H can't drag out that old 10 hundred by 16 mold, and mold up some tires for all the early cars that are being restored and really need them to be correct looking

Plus the new cars that are being built to be like the cars we ran in the 60's, gassers - fuelers etc

I would'nt think that they would have thrown them away ?

11. Agree, wish they would, plenty of business.

12. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

I got the phone number for them as now they are in Bakersfield Ca and not Watertown Ma, that's kid of a surprise so for our info I will call and ask them about making the old style slicks and see what they say ?

13. That would be great I like the looks of the Firestone but have heard they have problem. The M&H's are good tires so it would be great to see them in a pie cut.

14. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

I called M & H today 3 times and the number was busy, will give it a try again on Monday

Sure would be nice if they can make some of those early looking slicks like I used, as they were the hot ticket

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  15. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

I agree don and not only do they look right they sure smoked good too

16. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Don, Please count me in if they make some! Gary

17. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

When I look at my pics from back in the days, i'am amazed how that little 327 hazed those 10 hundreds

I could feel the wheel spin but got never to see it, that's the only bummer part about driving is not seeing how your own car looks leaving the line

I'am sure plenty of other people have asked about some vintage slicks, but we will see what they have to say and you never know till you ask

18. CGkidd

CGkidd

Those would be awesome

19. The Bakersfield # is probably for Hashims Service. Ernie Hashim was the first west coast distributor, and main one for the west, pretty much from the start, until just a couple years ago, when he passed away. To my knowledge, Coker tire now owns M&H, and there isn't any love on the prices, even for Summit or Jegs.

20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

They probably saw the troubles that Steve and Cody were having at Hurst Tires and said who needs the headache.

21. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Yep Denny plus going to court if something goes really wrong, and then everybody gets hauled in to see the man in the black robe

22. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Not so good news from M&H today, he said that they had made 200 tires 10 yrs ago and everybody complained about the price

One guy was going to take the whole bunch, then he bailed out and it took them a long time to sell them so they put the mold on the ' back - back - back ' burner not to be seen again

What a shame as those 10.00 by 16's are sure needed today !!!

Don

23. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Sad to hear indeed!:( Thanks for checking on them. Gary:)

24. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hi Gary

The way the gasser deal has taken off , plus the cackle fuelers I bet they could sell the tires now !!

25. agree
    But I can see how ~$800 a pair turns some people off. Firestone & Radir are that. Not sure where M&H would be? Towel City are a little more than half that and I cant find anyone with a complaint.

26. May sound silly but when did aluminum heads show upon the street and strip? Would a small block in a late 60's car have iron or aluminum heads?

27. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

Most likely it would have heavily ported fuelies

loudbang and II FUNNY like this.
  28. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hi Dave

M/T made some for his Indy car in the early 60's and Air Flow made theirs in about 73' - 74' I think ?

You are right IDID as I was using brazed up iron heads in 75' as that was the hot ticket then

29. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In 1960 Chevy came out with aluminum fuely heads on the 315HP engines. They were very limited production then dropped due to casting problems. Some could have found their way to high zoot racers.