Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hemi help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by barett, Aug 3, 2015.

1. barett

barett
    from Taylor TX

Been searching for a while now... Need some expert advice. I'm trying to build some rocker assembly's for my 54 331 and am lost... The problem is with the shafts and I can't find any info out there. For some reason I have two different pair of shafts, 1 set has 8 slotted oiling journals, and the other just 4.. Looking through Tex Smith's book it appears as though they should all 4 be the same? ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1438652369.189827.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1438652390.451191.jpg
    One photo shows the oiling journals, and the other the odd end on the 8 journal one,its a square slot where the cotter pin should go... Not a through hole like in my other pair( the one that makes sense) how did they come apart? You got me, they were disassembled when I bought the engine...
    Thanks in advance....

2. barett

barett
    from Taylor TX

I should add my initial question I guess, sorry... What I'm wondering is, should all 4 rocker shafts be the same? (Seems that way to me) or is what I have correct, in that case which is top and which is bottom? I know the 4 journal shaft is correct due to the oiling holes lining up with the respective stand... But I can't make any sense out of the odd one. Some of the main oil ports line up through the stand ( meaning on the supply stand) but not all. ??? It goes with out saying this is my first time fooling with these...

3. barett

barett
    from Taylor TX

FOR SALE!!! The rarest of the rare.... 32 valve hemi rocker shafts!!!! Seriously though, that's the only sense I can make of these....

4. I'm sure Gary or Tom will chime in...... I had a "phantom" shaft that was puzzling,and never seen before....
    give it till the AM- You will get an answer......

5. barett

barett
    from Taylor TX

^^^ I can only hope... Won't sleep tonight though.... Thanks

6. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

They are not the same as there is an intake shaft and an exhaust shaft. My old memory does not do much for you but I always took them apart one at a time and laid the parts out in order. You do not have that advantage.
    I'm sure that someone will chime in- 73RR- TR Waters maybe?
    If not http://www.hemihaines.com/

7. patience grasshopper!

270dodge likes this.
  8. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

Forgot to add Eddie has never failed to answer and always refused to accept money for his advice.

9. barett

barett
    from Taylor TX

270dodge, ive sent TRwaters an email and am sure he will help me out... Thanks for your help... What worries me is the time/$ spent coating them... And invisiblekid was hoping to get something done tonight... I'm sure you know the feeling... Thanks again, and above all I hope this question is worthwhile and I'm not wasting everyone's time. Like I said got them in pieces so have no idea...

10. Andy

Andy

Possibly from a Poly? They had shafts with 8 rockers. Don't use them on a hemi. The extra holes will be uncovered.

loudbang and 270dodge like this.
  11. barett

barett
    from Taylor TX

^^^ Andy thank you, that's my thoughts exactly... Didn't know the poly motors had 8 per shaft, (my 4valve joke) I think you've answered my question... I've got some poly shafts somehow...

12. barett

barett
    from Taylor TX

Up... Where's the hemi guys?

13. 73RR

73RR

...maybe.... although I do like the idea of a 4-valve Hemi...
    Hemi shafts will have a 'trough' at one end where the dowel in the stand locks the shaft in place. Intake and exhaust are different...the trough on the intake will be quite close to the end and the exhaust will be about an inch from the end.
    [​IMG]

The Chrysler Spitfire shaft has multiple holes for the hold-down bolts. Sorry, no photo in my photobucket account at the moment and I don't have a Dodge poly shaft on hand.

What are the lengths of the shafts?

loudbang likes this.
  14. barett

barett
    from Taylor TX

@73RR the one pair, (4 journal) 19 1/4 the other 19 1/8

15. barett

barett
    from Taylor TX

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1438711661.295697.jpg
    Another photo of the odd one..

16. 73RR

73RR

19¼ is the same as the Chrysler Hemi shaft, the Spitfire is 19 5/8".
    The Hemi shaft will have one 3/16 " oil feed hole about 5" from the doweled end

...still not sure about the large oil/bolt holes in addition to the (what I call) 'troughs' that
    would act as a locating/locking device...more digging in order....

I'd suggest tossing them under the bench and then source a complete rocker assembly for your engine.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  17. barett

barett
    from Taylor TX

@73RR thanks for the help, and I appreciate your advice, what I would like to do is just find the correct shafts as I know my stands and rockers are correct and have taken the time to clean and coat them... Thanks again for the help...

18. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

No idea what they may be from. There is a good chance they are not even Chrysler parts.
    I did find a poly shaft which has 8 banana grooves, but no retaining slots like those pictured. I can probably come up with a pair of exhaust shafts if you need them.

loudbang likes this.
  19. barett

barett
    from Taylor TX

I just want to say thanks again and I'll end this conversation on one last question... Do you think my intake shafts are correct? They seem to me to be... And in that case like @TRWaters said I need some exhaust shafts. And I thank you sir for your offer... I've got a local parts connection and should be able to find some here. If I can't though I'll be sure to get in touch... If it's not too much to ask of you guys a picture of correct intake vs exhaust shafts would be very helpful... I should be able to identify them by the location of the dowel like 73RR said but some photo evidence would be great... Thanks again.

20. 73RR

73RR

The dowel location is the best way to ID them, especially if you have one as a sample to
    compare to and are looking for the other.

I can provide some pics but it might be awhile. Let me know if the need still exist in a couple days
    and I'll up-date this post with pics....

Gary

21. barett

barett
    from Taylor TX

@73RR, thank you sir... Hopefully this weekend I can make it out there... With your advice I should be able to get what I need... I'll keep it updated.... Thanks again...