Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 39 to 41 backing plate question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Sweet & Low, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Sweet & Low

Sweet & Low

Is there a way to replace to two spring loaded adjusters on the outside of 39 to 41 backing plates? I'm talking about the ones that spread each shoe out and are adjusted by the bolt springe set up on the exterior of the backing plate, it looks like the ends were pinned over and would have to be ground off to remove them, does anyone make a replacement kit?

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

3. It would sure be cool if someone would create a way to do it! I've always wanted to remove them when blasting/cleaning up a pair of BP's. Let us know when you figure it out. Tim

4. lowdaddyo

lowdaddyo
    from la verne

I did it on mine so I could chrome everything. I ground off the peening then drill Ed and tapped the bolt. I used a washer and screw to secure it and it worked great!

5. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

They make a stainless steel replacement kit, I have seen them in parts for sale and E-RIP

6. 117harv

117harv

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  7. Sweet & Low

Sweet & Low

Man!! you just can't beat HAMB for great info, that's exactly what I was looking for.