Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead alternator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zurawski, Aug 1, 2015.

1. zurawski

zurawski
    from wisconsin

I am almost done with my 1951 ford flathead v8 but I want to put a alternator on it and I have the 3x2 edlbrock intake and I'm putting stromberg 97's on that what bracket do I need and what alternator could I use that's not to expensive?
    P.s. Thank you everyone who has been helping me on all my other posts and on this one I might be able to take this bad boy for a ride this year because of your help..

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The hard core gotta have a generator brigade will smack you for wanting to run an alternator but they think that gives them "trad creds"

Before I or others spend a half hour doing your search for you have you done a search, checked the Speedway or SoCal catalogs or hunted at all? That offset bracket shouldn't be hard to find with a quick hunt.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. We have two flathead Fords (32 & 49) with a Powergen altenator (generator looks) from Speedway. Work great but they are pricey...
    Not sure they are worth it - obviously got them just for the looks...
    If I had it to do again, I'd probably fab up my own bracket and use an inexpensive (by comparison) alternator. Maybe paint it black ......

Whatever you do, post up some picks of your project.....

5. zurawski

zurawski
    from wisconsin

Now I checked speed way and such and there bracket for an alternator they said might not fit wit the 3 carbs I have been looking around. I was hoping to do a single wire gm alternator

6. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I just saw some wheres [I find, I post] that an mopar altinator with a little exterior grinding can fit an off set generator bracket with a hold down strap....

7. uncle buck

uncle buck

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

True Uncle Buck in all respects. Probably the result of spending about five hours in the past three days doing online searches for folks who hadn't given it much of a try on their own. And the result of taking fifteen seconds to type in Flathead Alternator Bracket in the Google search line. If he has been busting his head against the wall trying to do a Yahoo search I apologize because I have a few bumps on my head from yahoo searching

If you have a 48 or earlier engine Speedway has the brackets that mount the generator or alternator on the left or right head giving you a choice
    http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Search?query=flathead alternator bracket You would still need the bracket to mount the alternator to that.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
    captaintaytay likes this.
  9. zurawski

zurawski
    from wisconsin

Yes on top of 40 hours a week and night school and getting the t5 to fit and making any part I possibly can to cut on costs so I can build something I've always wanted your right I should research more and use more of my time to find something that I'm sure maybe someone on here has done and can save my time by just telling me so I can get back to work I am sorry for wasting your time to try to learn something from you

Model T1 likes this.
  10. zurawski

zurawski
    from wisconsin

What would the point of a forum be otherwise I guess it should just be to share pictures it's like glorified face book yay we need more of that

Model T1 likes this.
  11. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

12. uncle buck

uncle buck

Mr48, A lot of people here benefit from your devoting time to search and help them. Your help is appreciated, but in the very first sentence he stated it is a 1951 flathead. I am no expert as to whether a 48 and earlier bracket would work , but I myself wouldn't want to gamble without somebody saying they have been successful with one.

13. uncle buck

uncle buck

Also , zurawski , please also note what you are using for a fan blade and what it is going in. That might help with clearance.

14. zurawski

zurawski
    from wisconsin

Ok the links you guys gave me today opens up some options but I will have to give some of these guys a call on Monday to talk to them more thanks for all the help.... I posted some pictures on another post check it out they are not the most recent but I will hopefully get more soon

15. Zurawski, don't take so personally, alot of us here work long hours, some even the weekends also.
    I been told in so many ways at times to do the research also.

Mr48chev, even if he was a bit sarcastic did help you though. It can get a little rough here sometimes, but don't sweat it. A wise person once said to me ----------- Search, Read, Learn, Repeat. It doesn't cost you anything, you can only gain from it.

Model T1 likes this.
  16. zurawski

zurawski
    from wisconsin

That is true but part of research is talking to others who may have went through the same problem so giving me crap about doing research when I am doing the oldest form of research is a little hypocritical... Aside from that though I am still very thankful for the help

17. Probably going to need a off set alternator bracket. HRP

This one is from Speedway Motors.

[​IMG]

18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Not what you asked for, just food for thought here.
    I recall a magazine? article a while back, the guy had a flattie powered car and did not like the looks of the various generator mount options available, he mounted a right angle cable drive on the crank pulley and hid the generator under/behind the motor.
    Not the easiest (or cheapest) approach but I thought it was really pretty neat.
    You will have to creatively Google it but may be interesting reading at the vary least.

19. Frames

Frames

I used a Speedway Motors brt, but I had to mill the mount to fit the Offy 3 carb intake. on an 8BA engine with wide belts. it's for sale. so is the alternator. [email protected] this carb/intake setup also for sale. OFFENHAUSER 8-BA 001.jpg OFFENHAUSER 8-BA 002.jpg

20. Frames

Frames

I built this setup for a doctor that purchased from me a chassis for $10,000.00. this is 2 working 48's and 1 dummy. H&H told him two 48's were too much for his 276 flathead so he didn't want it. Even told him I would change to 97's. built with no money down. Now I'm stuck with it. lesson learned. PS: I run two 48's on a .030" over 241 Dodge. Runs flawlessly. No way I would run the smaller 97's except for this mistake, running two 97's on a 272 Y-block. Wish I would have used 48's. That's on my 33 Willys. 6 carbs. Four carbs are blocked off. I don't want to bother tuning 6 carbs or 4 for that matter.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  21. zurawski

zurawski
    from wisconsin

What kind of alternator is that

22. zurawski

zurawski
    from wisconsin

And I know 3 carbs is to much I have the progressive linkage and I'm not going to let the secondary's open all the way

23. Frames

Frames

GM one wire reworked to put out 100 amps. I also had to mill the right side alternator bracket to line up the belt then a special spacer on the left.

24. zurawski

zurawski
    from wisconsin

Thanks I'll be trying soon

25. zurawski

zurawski
    from wisconsin

How did you rework it to be 100 amp

26. Ole don

Ole don

I wanted a generator because it was a small car with very little load on the electric system. I also wanted it 12 volts. I found a 56 Ford F6 generator, and had a local generator mane convert and rebuild the 48 housing. I used a regulator for a 56 F 100. The generator off set's were not right. It is a 49 block with 48 heads. I made this one out of stuff laying about. 100_0658.JPG

27. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

I'm about to convert our '50 to 12v and will be looking for a bracket myself. From what I've seen, I like the Speedway piece, it have a traditional, non laser/billet look to it. I don't think I'll run into any issues, I'm going to run one carb for now. I don't think its worth the time to make one one, considering the prices I've seen.