Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '65 283 oil filter parts and fitment

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod54chevy, Aug 2, 2015.

1. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

Ok! Sorry if I'm flogging a dead horse, here! My '65 283 had a pretty bad oil leak, and my father-in-law thought it was the stock oil canister that was leaking, so he pulled it off and stuck on a spin-on adapter and filter he'd picked up. Well, it continued to leak. We then realized it was coming from the back of the pan, so we put on a new pan gasket. Upon the next start up, the adapter was leaking, so we pulled it off and the O-ring that he put between the block and the adapter had kinked up, so we put another one on it and I drove it down the street. Parked the car and noticed a trail of oil eventually making it a quart low before heading home. Jacked it back up and the O-ring had not only kinked, but tore and looked like it had melted? So, off to the parts store we went. This is the kind of adapter my father-in-law had tried to put on it. leaky adapter.jpg
    My dad was sure the O-ring would never work, and I'd assured him that so far it hadn't. My previous engine ( '68 327) had a different adapter on it. One like this. 327 adapter.jpg
    We'd actually found one of those in a store, but it didn't have a gasket with it, and the counter guys are no good with thinking on their feet. When I took the adapter off the 327, I was pretty sure there wasn't a gasket on it, but I've yet to find it, and I've been told it won't work on the '65 block because they're different anyway. So, for shits and giggles, I said "To hell with it" and said we'll just stick the canister filter back on it tomorrow with a new filter element. So I grabbed the canister to take a look at it, and it had one of THESE in it. oilbypass1.jpg
    I've read that this was a stock piece that most guys usually have and then bolt the adapter to it with longer bolts. So, before I bolt that canister on, this needs to be bolted to the block, right? Do I need a gasket for it? If I do, does anyone have a part number? Also, while looking at all this, apparently my father-in-law ordered ANOTHER adapter that's coming Monday, which I don't really mind as a back up in case we run into other problems. (This is an old car, THERE WILL BE PROBLEMS :D) He ordered something like this from Summit. Do I need another gasket for THIS? summit adapter.jpg
    The filter element I picked up today was
    • Part Number: S200PL
    Thanks in advance! I'm always appreciative of whatever help I can get from the HAMB! Thanks, guys!

2. the oil filter adapter that is in your first picture will work fine if installed properly. it MUST be used with the part in your 3rd picture....i repeat , you must use the part in the 3rd picture with the adapter

the part in your 2nd picture WILL NOT WORK on your 1965 283

3. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

36-3window, is there supposed to be a gasket between the block and the 3rd picture? My father-in-law didn't even notice that the piece in the 3rd picture was there until yesterday, so I don't know if it was even bolted to the block the first time, which could possibly be why it was leaking on us!

4. squirrel

squirrel

part in 3rd picture is the original part for use with the canister, and it uses the square cut O ring around the outside, which is included with a new canister type filter. There are no other gaskets between this part and the block.

The part in the first picture fits over the part in the 3rd picture, and uses the same O ring that comes with a canister filter, to seal it.

I would use the canister, with the original adapter (part in 3rd picture), and a new O ring, which should come with the new canister type filter.

The spin on adapter in the first picture is kind of crappy design...I ran one on my early 396 for years...it worked, but in hindsight I would have been better off with the canister.

tb33anda3rd likes this.

5. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

Thanks, squirrel! ALWAYS helpful! Yeah, I wanted to just run the canister anyway, but it had been "upgraded" before asking me to try to fix the leak. Thanks for the advice!

6. pdq67

pdq67

I figure that even though the old can is messy, it's easier to check for debris in my oil than cutting open a spin-on oil filter.

And I keep a short ice-pick in my tool box to pick the square "O" ring out of the groove. Have since I was a pup.

pdq67

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I always thought the quickest way to create a leak on a 283 was to add one of those adapters and a spin on filter. If you don't have the part in the third photo installed it is pretty much a given that you are going to crack the adapter plus you have negated any filtering that the filter would do because the oil isn't going to be filtered properly.

The main cause of a leak with the canister is an old O ring or chunk of one left in the block after you changed the filter and put the new O ring in. I have seen one with 3 O rings in it that leaked to no end.

8. frosty-49

frosty-49

What 36-3window said. DO NOT THROW AWAY Just ran in this the other day. Engine did not have that part in the filter cavity. I believe this is why the orignal motor went bad. We are installing the old style canister filter

9. 327Eric

327Eric

I just fixed an oil filter leak similar to yours,on a newly rebuilt 62 327. had all the right parts, still leaked after I changed the break in oil. long story short, my leak was from the oil gallery plug on the block just above the filter housing. have you checked this yet. a little Teflon tape and i'm down the road. I doesn't expain why the o ring is ripping though. I wouldn't mess with the adapter myself, and would go with the canister .

10. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

Never said I was going to throw anything away. Hell, I know better than that. My dad still has the plastic caps they put in my 327 before we put spark plugs in it. Why? Because you never know.

Anyway, yes, my father-in-law was trying to bolt in part 1 without part 3 with an O - ring in between and that would blow. I explained that we NEEDED part 3 in there and he'd said it was just laying in there loose, but he happened to have the screws for it and they had Chevrolet orange paint on them, so who knows. Bolt 3 back up and put on the canister with a new O - ring and element. Starts up, the filter isn't leaking! Drive down the road for some gas and when I get back there's oil coming from under the timing chain cover!

Park the damn thing and go inside. My dad just thinks we need to loosen the front of the pan, put some sealant around the timing cover and tighten the pan back. Either way, nothing else is getting done today. I'm not burning myself on a hot engine looking for leaks. My goal is to get it to The Rebel Rousers Rumble in Ashland Ohio next Saturday, so a lot of wrench turning going on this week! Thanks, guys!

11. is this motor properly vented?
    the stock canister is messy to change, but that is the only negative about them. look at the quality of the canister and the amount of thread that holds the center bolt.
    spin on filters are not better, they are just good enough,......... the canister is "bullet" proof.

12. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Put one of the adapters as in first picture on a 59 283 many years ago and never had any leaks. It never had a canister, only a block off plate. (Dad bought car new and was too cheap to add the optional $15 filter canister.)So I really don't know if it had #3 in it. I really don't think it had, but there must have been a groove cut in the early blocks, as I used an o-ring and the two screws to mount the adapter. If there had been #3, then I probably would have had to remove the two existing bolts and replaced with adapter supplied bolts. Don't recall doing that.

13. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

PCV in the back where the road draft would be with a rubber hose to the carburetor. Breather cap on the oil fill tube. Script valve covers.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  14. Lcats

Lcats
    1. A-D Truckers

I have a 65-67 283 with a spin on filter - which appears to be wet. Is this what I have to look forward to ...