Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1937 International D2 truck-back from the dead!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Joyer, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Joyer

Joyer
    from Ohio

I thought I would post pics of my lastest completed project. It's kind of a hobby/job though I do it by myself for enjoyment. These are before and after two years apart.
    image.jpg

2. Joyer

Joyer
    from Ohio

Pretty much a traditional hot rod with my own added flares. Those who know this truck will see a great deal of metal work. It has a confirmed nickel-block SBC crate Corvette engine and an aluminum Powerglide. Started up on the first turn of the key. I've built/modified many many-a-motorcycle but this is my first hot rod. Thanks for all of the info provided by HAMBers over the years! Greatest web site EVER! Thanks a lot

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. exterminator

exterminator

4. Joyer

Joyer
    from Ohio

5. It's looking really good. Do you have any more pics of the build in progress?

-Chris

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. Very nice job my friend! Bruce.

7. Joyer

Joyer
    from Ohio

Sorry 'bout that Chris, I got busy...I'll see what I've got! I've definitely got some picks of the buck form for the bed quarter panels and of me doing the upholstery. Stand by...

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. Joyer

Joyer
    from Ohio

9. Joyer

Joyer
    from Ohio

10. Joyer

Joyer
    from Ohio

11. Joyer

Joyer
    from Ohio

12. Joyer

Joyer
    from Ohio

13. Joyer

Joyer
    from Ohio

14. Joyer

Joyer
    from Ohio

15. Joyer

Joyer
    from Ohio

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1434898587.751887.jpg

A HUGE hammer-form for fender inners

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. Joyer

Joyer
    from Ohio

17. Joyer

Joyer
    from Ohio

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1434898771.173109.jpg

This aluminum panel reminds me of something i need to add too the "homemade tools thread"- i have made the most fool proof burnishing tool EVER. And i should know b/c i'm a fool! Cut a round piece of rawhide and hot glue it to a pneumatic flat hammer head. Chuck it up in a drill press and apply valve lapping compund. Perfect every time. No practice needed!

18. bubba55

bubba55

Wow - really NICE ! I'm working on a 38 Chevy but don't hold that against me - What color of blue is that and what seats did you use ? Looking to paint mine blue and the seats look great in there - these cabs are small and I'm trying to find out what seats to look for.
    Thanks
    Mike

volvobrynk likes this.
  19. Joyer

Joyer
    from Ohio

Those are VW Beetle seats and the color is Proud Navy Pearl. I can get you a paint number if you like and the seats are by SCAT. The seats worked out great and are real comfy. Not super spendy either. Check Amazon

20. Joyer

Joyer
    from Ohio

...oh and no worries on the Chevy. Ive got a 1949 Chevy Fleetline Deluxe in the garage as we speak. To me a cool old car is just that- be it Ford, Chevy, or whatever!

21. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

22. exterminator

exterminator

My first old car in high school was a 1940 international that my girlfriends dad gave me-didn't look that good!LOL

23. Are you planning on running boards?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  24. I like it. Wish our 53 Chevy truck "field find" looked that nice....

25. Good job and great pictures, I retired from International in 2004 and, at one time worked in the plant (old body plant) where that truck was built, nice to see your quality of work, thanks for sharing.

26. Joyer

Joyer
    from Ohio

International truck plant? The semis right? My dad worked at Kenworth! Where was your plant at?

27. Joyer

Joyer
    from Ohio

@iwannaflattie. No, no running boards. I have them though. It just didnt look right. You dont see them in these pics but the truck has side exhaust just behind the cab flipping out just before the rear fender

28. ebruns1

ebruns1

Wow, great looking project! I have the same D-2 cab and I need your advice...
    Is that the original frame you used for the build? I don't have a chassis, just all the sheet metal so I am looking at mounting on a donor S10 or Dakota. Do you think I could get away with leaving the engine and trans in place? Do you think the narrow nose would be a problem? I know I'll need a custom radiator since I didn't get one with my parts. I have the radiator U-mount and all other parts. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks, Jim

29. I think the 37-40 D series IHs were the prettiest pick-ups ever built, and yours is a fine looking example.

30. Joyer

Joyer
    from Ohio

Dude, I am sorry! I missed your question and didn't get back to you sooner. I would be more than happy to tell you what I learned with that truck. The frame was the original frame that I boxed the hell out of front to back. Original rear crossmembers and all except for a mustant two front end front crossmember. Now, was far as using a Dakota or S10 front end, I've seen em but without measuring I cant be sure. I will say this: I like the Dakota independent front suspensions and if it is the basic straight legged frame with a rear axle hump in the back... it will work without having to buy much else in the way of suspension, unless you wanna do a four-link and coil-overs. Same goes for S10 frame but I don't think they handle quite as well (my 2cents). There was nothing special I could see at all about the OE frame and it was no different from any other 1/2ton truck frame or mini truck I'd ever seen. Now as far as the motor question...I fit a corvette motor V8 350 in there and powerglide tranny without issue. As a matter-o-fact, the engine looked kind of tiny in there. Uh, yeah :{. Anyway, where the magic came in was this: with a typical V-8, it'd be extremely difficult, if not impossible to run the factory radiator fan. I had to go electric. Also, if it weren't for there being so much room above the engine in the engine bay (b/c I wanted to mount it as low as possible for handling), the brake booster/master cylinder would have been also difficult. That hood basically comes down on each side nearly even with the frame rail, making it much narrower under the hood than the typical car, not to mention 30's era vehicles were cozy to begin with. People sat elbow to elbow, pretty much.

Here's another nugget to get you on your way...if you need parts to fit in it such as radiator, gas tank, (and in my case, a mustang II front end)...if it will fit on a 40' ford coupe it will fit this truck! Even the door handles, inside and out!
    Hope it helps!
    Jed

Ron Funkhouser likes this.