Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1930's Riley Special

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by v8skid, Jul 29, 2015.

1. v8skid

v8skid
    from England

Hey Guys, got another project on the go... it was a bit of a wreck when it came in, but it did fire up! ..
    full details and more pics here : v8skid.blogspot.co.uk

It's a 1903's Riley, with a Special body on and a bunch of other refinements... much of the original car still intact..
    IMG_1653.JPG

I have it along side the Allard right now ... it's being prepared for a road race through Europe in September, so the last couple of months have been flat out getting her going. she now looks like this ....
    IMG_1656.JPG

watch this space for more to follow, or join me here : v8skid.blogspot.co.uk

FullSizeRender[1] (2).jpg

volvobrynk, Richie R and tb33anda3rd like this.
  2. Before I decided on playing with A models I looked into getting a Riley roadster rolling shell and putting in a full American banger driveline, will p-ss off the Riley restorers and upset the hot rodders.
    They have cool looking parallel spring setup that does not look as awkward as some of the USA setups.
    They have big diffs, heavy frames but tiny engines.
    If I can find a cheap enough Riley one day. A model overhead engine with "Riley" speed parts in a Riley :)
    Did I say that aloud lol

3. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Neat. Love the look of the front wings. I bet they only knock the top speed down 5mph! LOL. Gary

4. oj

oj

Gotta love an old Riley, isn't that what Capn Hastings drives in the Poirot series?

5. ghornbostel

ghornbostel

Love those hot rod sports cars.

6. v8skid

v8skid
    from England

well this one is almost all original.. it's only the body (bathtub) that's the major modification .. It's wide and hangs juts proud of the chassis rails either side.. Doesn't look right, and once we've finished the European tour in September may well build a complete new body for it... She sounds throaty through a stubby side exhaust, should trundle along quite well, trying to keep all the weight down : )

7. A Lagonda.

8. oj

oj

You're right, I saw that last night on the 'Case of the kidnapped Prime Minister' episode last night. It showed a good pic of the radiator.

9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

10. Gofannon

Gofannon

Here's some inspiration for you, Tiger Moth powered.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Gofannon

Gofannon

12. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Amazing special ^^^^^ Gary

13. v8skid

v8skid
    from England

Beautiful cars : ) want to build more! .. I've put up a few more pics on the blog : v8skid.blogspot.co.uk
    We are only 4 weeks away now from the Tour start.. and I'm still wiring!. We have tonneau covers being made and the leather bonnet straps arrived last week so need to get those fitted... stay tuned for more! ... and thanks for all your well wishes and kind comments, much appreciated. PS, I'm working with some software from work (IBM) to transmit trip details back to base as we ascend and descend ... Vintage car, modern technology... good job I plumbed in a 12v outlet to the dash! tour logo..
    tour logo.jpg

14. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Volvo b 18/B20, similar look carbs on the same side, stout drive train OD available. Can make big horses from small package. 120/150 hp at the wheels without too much trouble.