Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tunnel Port 427...how streetable are they?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crown'd, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Mark T

Mark T

I believe Crites still makes full length FE headers for the '55-'56 Fords.

Deuces likes this.
  2. Crown'd

Crown'd
    from Utah

Almost...for '57 and up. tmp_28033-Screenshot_2015-07-30-14-18-16-1769438023.png

Deuces likes this.
  3. The big issue back then for adjustment with the FE mechanical cams was the factory rocker arms. They used adjustable pushrod ball sockets but had no locking arrangement; the thread on the adjustor was an interference fit and would move around under use, plus over time they would get looser and not hold adjustment well. There's better ones available now, plus the chances of finding a good set of 50-year-old rockers is pretty slim.

Packaging exhaust on these has always been an issue. Originally designed for the full-size cars and NASCAR use, shoehorning one into anything else presents a challenge. The headers on the Cougar I had were multi-piece, wrapping around the crossmember. They were a complete PITA to install (and invariably leaked); after much practice, I could get them installed in about 8 hours. One issue you'll have is your heads only have the vertical exhaust bolt flanges, not the later version with those and the angled bolts that Ford used in the intermediate cars, so bolt access will be an issue.

If you want more than a shorty header, you have limited choices if you don't want to hack (too much) on the car. Fenderwell headers are one choice or use multi-piece headers and hang the collector under the frame. This will reduce ground clearance, so lifting the front end a few inches is recommended (or watch carefully for speed bumps! LOL!). Multi-piece will also probably require a remote-mount oil filter. If you're willing the hack the frame k-member, you can get them fully under the car.

humber80 likes this.
  4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I checked there right off the bat, they only list '57 up. big difference.

5. LOL I don't even have pics of me from '69. Unlike about everyone else on the HAMB I never figured that I would amount to much ( and I was correct) so I never documented my life. Well that and unlike today phones didn't come with a camera and I didn't own one. I never raced a tunnel against a tunnel port car one time in my entire life. They are not a common motor.
    I have seen interference fit rockers modified to take a jam nut, Danny did some out of his shop in Portland when I was still pitting with him. I don't know that anyone manufactured a kit to do it.

hipster likes this.
  6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yup, the stockers are pretty useless but you can spot face them for locknuts and install Crane adjustment screws, get some iskys or some of the cast ductile iron Cranes, or if you wanna go all Mr Fancy Pants, I have had good luck with Harland Sharps on Mopars. A lot of guys like the needle bearing Ersons on FE's too, but I have never used them, personally, I am not enthusiastic about running needle bearing rockers on shafts, but a lot of guys with more FE experience than me swear by them.

loudbang likes this.
  7. Crown'd

Crown'd
    from Utah

I may have a cool solution for gaining clearance, which I will leave to myself until it's attempted. If it proves to be effective we may tool up a small production run of components. Perhaps others would do more FE swaps if some of these issues were more easy to solve.

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

My mom probably does, but I don't wanna see 'em...had hair halfway down to my ass in those days...:D

Deuces and volvobrynk like this.
  9. Crown'd

Crown'd
    from Utah

Question...has anyone seen fenderwell headers on a '55 or '56 that didn't have a straight axle or A-arm spacers?

10. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just found this thread. Saw a picture of your car. If it were mine I would be hard pressed to change a thing about it. Have you given any thought to finding another body to put the big motor in??

11. Crown'd

Crown'd
    from Utah

I've always wanted more power in this, but was hung up on the exhaust issue until a few weeks ago when I began to visualize solutions. Then someone made an offer for the Cobra less engine, and I realized the 482 FE in it would bolt in. Ultimately I sold it with the engine, simultaneously a friend bought all these parts. They're too cool to not pick up, and I'm researching to see if I want to build the Tunnel Port or not. If I can make something that looks and drives right with it I'm all in...worst case I sell it later built and complete.

12. squirrel

squirrel

this handy device can both make clearance for the exhaust, and be used to make the headers.

torch.jpg

Deuces, mgtstumpy, 46Chief and 4 others like this.
  13. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

"this handy device can both make clearance for the exhaust, and be used to make the headers."

Missing the required BFH in the picture

14. I have.... There was a local guy back in the late 60s/early 70s running a big FE in a '56 Crown that tried several different exhaust solutions (mostly home made). It's been a long time, but if IIRC he tucked the two inner cylinders in close and ran them back before turning out. The outer two he ran up-and-over to clear the suspension. It was more than a bit ugly looking. I think he eventually modified a set of FE Mustang under-car headers (multi-piece) to fit, but he had to hack on those pretty heavily. I never got that good a look at that set, but that's what they looked like. He was running a C6, so he didn't have any linkage to deal with.

15. Crown'd

Crown'd
    from Utah

Without raising the car or extending the wheelbase it seems fenderwell exit is difficult, possibly easier in a Tri-Y design...which would likely improve torque.

16. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

June 2015 ad in Hemmings: 1965 Ford FE 427 Side Oiler Tunnel Port 2x4 v Complete Engine : $16,500 (NY). perogie.com has some 427 parts available

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  17. Mark T

Mark T

I know they don't list them on their online catalog but I'm pretty sure they still make them.

Hedman used to make them, don't know if they have them anymore.

tripped38 likes this.
  18. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Tubular Automotive in MA may have something for headers..."There's better ones available now, plus the chances of finding a good set of 50-year-old rockers is pretty slim."" I have 14, in a box somewheres and might have the other two in another place.....PM me an I will look...Back in early-mid 70's I built a 427 HR, 2-4v [the right carb numbers too] for a friends 390 F'lane....Lotta good parts put in, Pro Stock Engineering [double feed oil pump, roller shaft mount rockers, high strength rocker shafts, extra end supports, many quart oil pan] and stuff was still available from Ford [the big rods, windage tray, valves, monster [330° @ .600, maybe?] cam and related springs, retainers, keepers] just to name some stuff...Wasn't a side oiler [early 427] so I strapped the mains and fed oil in through the bottom via bunch of oil lines..Should have been around 600 hp...Never made it into the F'lane as friend lost interest [due to F'male] and was sold [maybe early 80's and had a hard time to get $1500!!] to a guy named Fred who put it in a ski boat that had a 390....He and and his bud Tony go out to the lake and Tony jumps in the water, ski's up, had a hold of the tow line and yells to Fred, "HIT IT"..Fred does and pulled Tony right out of the skis and his arms almost out of his shoulder sockets before Tony could think to let go of the rope.:eek::D:D:D...Had to put a throttle stop in for launches...

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Jay Brown tested the J Bittle American Tri-ys, they finished 4th in average torque behind the 1 3/4 Hooker super comps, and the 2" hedmans, on both engines he tested them on.

20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

could be worth an email to Crites. You could try Tubular Automotive as well, If they have them, that would be my #1 pick over crites. Tubular Automotive is probably well worth a phone call. They still do lots of custom stuff in house, and they have have always had a strong following with the Ford guys.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    loudbang likes this.
  21. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

22. Yea, you sweep them to the back of the fenderwell and don't run a huge tire. On your car you may need to loose a little rake. There was a guy back here that used to make fenderwells for about everything and instead of dumping them at the ground ducked them back and ran the collector toward the back of the car just like a set of in frame headers.

You can also gain a little clearance by running Tri-Ys that way you your are only bundling 2 tubes behind the tire. Primary length and diameter are really important on a Tri-Y, secondary is important too but less than the primary. Or so I have been told.

23. Crown'd

Crown'd
    from Utah

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Mine. But then, I guess by now, we are starting to figure out what I am all about:eek::rolleyes:;)... Nuff said...
    DSCF0132.JPG

Deuces, mgtstumpy and loudbang like this.
  25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

In all seriousness, get Jay Browns book, "The Great FE Intake Comparo" and read it thoroughly from cover to cover. Really digest the info, none of it is tunnel port specific, but theres still a HUGE amount of info in there.
    Read Jays book, it wasn't a great awakening for me, but I have been messing with FE's for quite a while, and even I find it a very valuable reference. There is a TON of ROCK SOLID, dyno test supported info in that book. ;)

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  26. squirrel

squirrel

Sadly, every time I've seen Jay and his bitchin SOHC Mustang, the car broke. Most recently, it dumped oil on the strip, right before I ran.

27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

No worries, its an FE "thing"...:rolleyes:
    IMG_20150731_0003.jpg

And to anyone thinking about building one of these things, you'd better develop a sense of humour and a thick skin now, your gonna need it...:p

Deuces, mgtstumpy, volvobrynk and 2 others like this.
  28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Ok, back to serious stuff, Do NOT think in terms of running a pair of 390's 0r 450's on that intake, get a proper pair of carbs. 660 center squirters...

Deuces likes this.
  29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Deuces likes this.
  30. Crown'd

Crown'd
    from Utah

Everything I've ran is single 4V, I assume there's something particular that makes you say that. Please enlighten me. ;)