Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 200 Ford six - starter knocking?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jarretts70, Jul 6, 2015.

1. I think this car is HAMB friendly enough to post a question...

65 Falcon, completely original with a 200 six and automatic trans. Belongs to a friend. Yesterday he was out for a drive with his kid and stopped to shoot the breeze on his way home. When he went to leave he started the car and the starter made a pretty bad noise, like it kicked back hard - shut it right off & tried to restart. Nothing - starter seemed locked up. He walked home, I pulled the starter. It's toast. Chunks of it literally falling on the ground and mangled metal wrapped around the gear. So tonight he brings over a new one, we throw it in. Car starts right up but now has a really bad knocking coming from the starter area. Not a whine or high pitched sound like a stuck starter, but a low & loud knock. We pulled it back off and added some washers to space it away from the bellhousing (didn't have the right shims), but no difference.

I assume when the old starter died a violent death that it may have damaged or bent the ring gear, and now something is hitting somewhere, causing the knock (it almost sounds like a rod knock) Before we start to pull the transmission, I thought I'd ask if anyone else has been down this road and if so, what did you find?

2. 2racer

2racer

I would suspect a broken flexplate if it is an automatic?

3. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Or parts of aforementioned mangled metal

4. These have a ring gear on the converter, just 6 months ago I pulled apart my 66 Mustang 6 and C4. If damaged might be a new converter also.
    If it's the earlier pre C4 gearbox then the above will not apply.

5. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Pull the starter and turn the engine to see what's up. Maybe just a piece of shrapnel lodged in a tooth.