Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical best shocks for my Mercury?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by AlmightyCrash, Jul 3, 2015.

1. AlmightyCrash

AlmightyCrash
    from Tyler, TX

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. My 51 Mercury has the front clip out of what I am told is a late 70s camaro.
    The entire vehicle is very bouncy and id like to tighten up the suspension. What shocks would be best?
    I also don't know if rear shock mounts are stock or not. It came with the rear lowered, but the driveshaft rubbed...so i removed the blocks.

2. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

As you well know the best shock is a working shock. Measure the length (compressed and extended) of the 4 shocks you have on there now, and take notes of what type of ends are on each shock (eyelets, studs, etc). Any good parts guys should be able to cross reference that information and find shocks that will work. If you have deeper pockets and want to actually adjust the damping (compression and rebound), then you will have to look at aftermarket shock companies like JRi, QA1, Fox, etc. Again, they will be able to build and sell you a shock to match the dimensions and end types you spec out.

AlmightyCrash likes this.
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I ran the Monroe gas shock designed for the Model of Camaro my stub came off on my 51 Merc when I had it with a 69 Camaro stub. Just the standard shocks and not the HD ones. I ran a pair of matching shocks with the right ends and length on the back. Basically any good brand's "regular" gas shocks should give you the ride you want or you could go with their regular non gas shocks if you can find them.
    O'Reilly's lists rear shocks for the 51 with stock suspension http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/s...del=Mercury&vi=1434947&year=1951&make=Mercury
    Those parts numbers will change over to other brands.
    I think I actually used rear shocks for a Mopar on the back of mine as they had eyes on both ends.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015