Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Traditional Air Conditioning

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Jul 3, 2015.

1. squirrel

squirrel

I'm heading up to the Meltdown Drags in a couple weeks. My wife decided she'd go along. Since I'm planning to drive my 57 Suburban, I figured it would make life more pleasant for both of us if I finally got around to adding AC to the old truck.

I had been watching a nifty Frigette Strato Dawn underdash unit on craigslist for months...he started at $400, but finally got it down to $175, so I figured it was time to make an offer. He did knock some more off the price. It's a nice clean unit, so I figured it was worth spending more than usual for it. And besides, I already had the manual for it!

Frigette manual

So I looked around the shop, and found a not too old compressor, and condenser. I ordered a hose kit from ebay, and a compressor bracket from Summit. I asked a friend if he had the right pulleys for a 1970s 350, and he did. A week later, it's in and blowing cold. I had a case of R12 cans left over from the old days, now I have two less. I also made sure to paint the condenser black, so it would disappear behind the grille.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

You will appreciate that when you enter the humid midwest.

3. 69fury

69fury

Ray Charles.jpg because your work is always awesome and i'm really upset that i can't always view this stuff (maybe if i worked at work and HAMB'd at home, it would be better)-rick

4. Strange what power a lady has on her man...Good on you Jim...

5. squirrel

squirrel

I'll try the pictures a different way....sorry about that

ac01.jpg ac02.jpg ac03.jpg

6. nice and clean!
    reminds me of a story my mom told me about grandma and grandpa heading out to california from texas in a 50 dodge 100 or so years ago..... Gpa wanting a/c for the trip, he put a galvanized tub in the pass floor full of ice blocks and the cowl vent would blow across it.

49ratfink, Model T1 and squirrel like this.
  7. I wonder how well it will cool that big box? I often think, if a guy had a snap in divider, with a clear window in it, that isolated the front seat from the rest of the vehicle, that it would be more comfy for the driver and passenger. No point in cooling your tools, spare tire and suitcases. That Frigette looks right at home in that Chevy

Model T1 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  8. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

9. DUSTER R152A
    If ya get tired of the expensive gas for your AC you can use "Duster" or the similar product. Ya know that stuff in a can to blow off your key board. It's a refrigerant, you bet, R152A. Says so on the can. Ya need gauges, hoses, side can tap and a vacuum pump just like regular. We have three vehicles charged with Duster and have for over a year. Did a few for friends too.
    Cheat the system!!

Roothawg, Sandgroper, Tman and 5 others like this.
  10. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

Looks great, been thinking of an old under dash unit in my truck too.
    I like it.

11. squirrel

squirrel

I paid $3 a can for the R12.....

ffr1222k likes this.
  12. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

13. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Looks very nice and likely feels better. Nice work!

14. Gman0046

Gman0046

Real nice installation. The evaporator sure does look retro and way better then the new hang on units. You'll be glad you have it.

Gary

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  15. Squablow

Squablow

I have a "Cool Kar" brand air conditioner saved for a future project from the same era. Yours looks nice in there, much prettier than the aftermarket ones being offered.

High test 63 likes this.
  16. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Looks good, fits the decor..Wish I could do something in a week !

fourspeedwagon likes this.
  17. town sedan

town sedan

My '64 Galaxie had the factory under dash A/C and on humid summer days in KC it would ice up on the outside of the case. Granted the Suburban inside is larger, but if your sitting anywhere near the A/C unit you should be fine. -Dave

Model T1 likes this.
  18. squirrel

squirrel

That's kind of how they worked back then...they made a little arctic storm in the front seat, and you didn't worry about how cool the air in the rest of the car was.

olscrounger likes this.
  19. Model T1

Model T1

Looks great and looks factory. Amazing how a woman can get things done. You might enjoy the AC too!

squirrel likes this.
  20. I had a 66 carryall that had an under dash unit in it. It did good for the front area. .it was an original a/c truck but the parts were had to find. It also had snaps where at one time it had a curtain behind the drivers seat.

21. squirrel

squirrel

Before I got this Suburban in the late 90s, I had a 66, with factory ac (seems that a lot of them had it, compared to pickups). I added a second unit behind the driver seat, I think the unit was for the back of a minivan or something. It really helped keep the kids cool back there. But the kids are all on their own now, I don't even put the back seat in this suburban except for special occasions.

Model T1 likes this.
  22. Gman0046

Gman0046

Like in my 62 Impala wagon, A/C just fine for the front seat. Besides I don't ride in the back anyway.

Gary

Model T1 likes this.
  23. billsat

billsat

It blends in perfectly with your interior colors and looks like it came from the factory like that. Beautiful work.

Model T1 likes this.
  24. Ruffdawg,same oil as R12?

25. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

That cooler blends right in, looks like it came the factory!

26. great upgrade and it looks killer!

27. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

That's what supposed to be in a truck:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

28. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I'd rather have your truck than your car, not that I'll ever get my paws on either one. Very, very nice.

29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

30. brokenspoke

brokenspoke