Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 33 Plymouth Coupe hood

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Suthunman, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Suthunman

Suthunman

I have the tops to the hood and have the sides ordered. I have the brackets and the strip that goes down the middle. When the sides come in, I'm going to be working on installing the hood. My question is about "hood lacing" , I believe I've seen it called that. It goes between the body and the hood. I went to a show the other day and there were only 2 cars there old enough to have this. Both had this stuff looked kinda like rope and it was riveted on, looked like hell to me. What's the alternative?

Also, I got these 4 rubber pieces when I bought the car. Supposedly they go between the hood and the body of the car. Any idea where they go and how they attach?

Y'all will have to bare with my lack of knowledge or even what things are called. This is all new to me.

Thanks for any help!

2. Budget36

Budget36

No pics showing...but would think you mean the cowl lacing?

3. Budget36

Budget36

4. Suthunman

Suthunman

Yep.......cowl lacing. Is there an alternative to the stuff that looks like rope, that might be glued down instead of riveted? Or is that stuff pretty much standard procedure in the hot rod world.
    I really need to get to more shows and see how some of this is being done!
    I've always enjoyed going to car shows but I now realize I didn't pay any attention to detail. I just looked at the whole car and nothing else. Buying this car has changed that.

5. I don't think he wants the original looking stuff.

I have seen show cars with it made from naugahyde but doubt that they got driven farther then from the trailer to the turntable. You could use rubber in place of the hood lacing, you would probably have to cut it yourself and if you didn't want to rivet it on you could use insignia cement or maybe small stainless screws.

6. Suthunman

Suthunman

Thanks Budget36.....That might be alright. It appears it would look a lot better than what I saw on those cars at the show.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  7. Suthunman

Suthunman

I plan on driving this car. I know where I can get some black rubber strips cut. I was hoping someone made something, rubber like, for this purpose. I don't know how well the type of rubber I know I can buy would go around a curve. I guess I could buy some extra wide pieces and cut to fit. This may take some experimenting.

The hood lacing Budget36 sent the link too didn't look too bad either. When I was at the show the other day I couldn't believe the stuff they had on those cars. Beautiful car with what looked like ski rope riveted on to one of them.

Thanks guys!

8. Suthunman

Suthunman

I plan on using the stock style hold downs. I didn't know of any alternatives. I assume I can use any of the available hold downs, such as something from Speedway.

When you say two piece hood end parts, I assume you are talking about the pieces that hold the strip that runs down the center of the hood. I have the proper end pieces, previous owner had bought them along with 4 rubber pieces that I have no idea where they go, but supposedly are hood related. I ordered and received the stainless strip that runs down the middle of the hood. I'm waiting on the hood sides now.

Thanks for the links!

9. raymay

raymay

Mopar, Ford, and GM all used similar fabric type material for their cowl lacing back then. If you cannot find the exact Mopar lacing, the Ford or GM can work for you.
    Be careful if you choose a cheaper rubber lacing. Depending on the type of rubber and how soft it is, you may notice it will break down over time. The stock type lacing material is stronger and will last longer.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/uncle-ricks-33-plymouth-project.680682/

10. yup those end caps are what I meant, that is nice you got them, they are pricey for such a small particular part, like 80-100 bucks. For four stamps pieces of sheetmetal!
    Depends on the shape of the rubber pieces, if you take a loog as that ebay seller of 33 parts, he may have a similar one and help you figure it out. They may be hood bumpers or corners.

I may just go with original style lacing, but I have a long ways to go, I basicaly have a shell and motor. I have to start a project thread also.

11. Suthunman

Suthunman

Let me know when you start a project thread, I'd like to see what you have and follow along. SRPM has those stamped sheet metal parts on sale for $65 a set. I couldn't believe what those things cost! Those rubber pieces are like $45 for 4 of them. I found the 2 brackets and 4 pieces of rubber in a Baggie in a box.....I was really excited. LOL

I messaged someone on ebay about those rubber pieces and never got a reply. I'll check to see if I can find someone else on there.

12. Maybe it's just me; but when I see modern stick on rubber extruded lacing, it kinda detracts from the overall appearance. I've also found the original lacing can be shimmed or flattened to get nice hood alignment.

Be that as it may, we just used some self adhesive rubber lacing on a Model A, worked OK and it probably had the look you want. Think this was a Metro Molded product.

13. Suthunman

Suthunman

Thanks...I'll check it out. The more I think about the lacing that Abe sent me the link, the more I think I might use it. I think it will probably work better and I'm not building a show car anyway.