Register now to get rid of these ads!

50-51 Mercury 12v-6v dash regulator conversion

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Olschl50, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Olschl50

Olschl50
    from Oz

Hi all,
    When I bought my 50 merc it came with a Dakota digital dash. Thanks to the help from others off this site I have been able to source and original dash insert and gauge cluster. Now I am one step away from putting it all back together and I have fabed up my voltage regulators which all test out ok (12-6v as mine has been converted). All I would like is some photos of the guys who have done this previously as unknown the original 6v system was a positive seeking earth system and I am at a loss even with the original diagram on how it should look! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Olschl50

Olschl50
    from Oz

Hi All,

All sorted! Only one I am not too sure on is the Amp meter. I am guessing the wire has to "unshielded" as the gauge needs to sense the "emf". Pretty sure I can source this, just need to know what gauge? Being al old amp meter I believe 16 unshielded should do the trick? Any thoughts?

3. AlmightyCrash

AlmightyCrash
    from Tyler, TX

So...just wondering. What are your plans for the DD gauges?

4. Olschl50

Olschl50
    from Oz

Thanks for the info! Will hit him up and see what he says. As for the DD gauges of course I will sell them to someone who wants them!

5. AlmightyCrash

AlmightyCrash
    from Tyler, TX

6. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

all of your current (except for the starter itself) should go through the ammeter. it's not voltage sensitive. wire gauge should be 10 gage or better yet an eight gage.